470 replies to this topic

#241 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

McPherson has absolutely abysmal gap control, he is used on the PK with his terrific reach however.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#242 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

AHL
Albany lost to Binghamton 5-2. Scoring for the Devils was Matteau (Demkov, Tedenby) and Timmins (Urbom, Boucher). Kinkaid stopped 35 of 40 shots and picked up a 10 minute misconduct penalty. K. Zajac was scratched due to his minor injury, Hrabarenka and Scarlett were healthy scratches on D. The Devils were outshot 40-29 and went 0/3 on the PP allowing a SHG and 4/5 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Stats:
Stefan Matteau: 34 GP 7-9-16, +1, 46 PIM, 13.72 SH%, 1.5 SH/GP
Artem Demkov: 20 GP 6-5-11, +8, 4 PIM, 14.28 SH%, 2.1 SH/GP
Scott Timmins: 27 GP 10-15-25, +9, 10 PIM, 16.94 SH%, 2.18 SH/GP
Keith Kinkaid: 25 GP 16-8-1, 2.28 GAA, .914 SV%, 4 SO

ECHL
Elmira lost to Fort Wayne 4-3
Maxime Clermont: DNP (Injured)
Riley Boychuk: Assist, -1
Harry Young: -1, 7 PIM (Fighting, Removing Helmet)

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#243 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Well his .889 sv% projects to about .855 at the NHL level, if NJ can limit the opposing team to 15 shots a game and get some goal support they maybe able to run with Anthony over Cory.

Marty had an .884 save% for Utica in '92-'93. 

Not saying that Wedge is going to be anything great (and Lout clearly knew it too, hence the trade for Schneider), just saying this is a really bad way of trying to project what a goalie's save% will be in the NHL.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#244 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

Marty had an .884 save% for Utica in '92-'93. 

Not saying that Wedge is going to be anything great (and Lout clearly knew it too, hence the trade for Schneider), just saying this is a really bad way of trying to project what a goalie's save% will be in the NHL.

Find me one other example like this where a player's SV% jumped .030 going from the AHL to the NHL.  92-93 was a weird year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#245 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Find me one other example like this where a player's SV% jumped .030 going from the AHL to the NHL.  92-93 was a weird year.

Where did I say or even imply anything about a goalie's NHL save% jumping .030 from his AHL save% being some kind of standard event?  I didn't, you just wanted to go into contrary mode.  I said Jason's thinking that he can subtract .034 from a goalie's AHL save% and just assume that will project to be his NHL save% is off-base.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#246 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Where did I say or even imply anything about a goalie's NHL save% jumping .030 from his AHL save% being some kind of standard event?  I didn't, you just wanted to go into contrary mode.  I said Jason's thinking that he can subtract .034 from a goalie's AHL save% and just assume that will project to be his NHL save% is off-base.   

Since when did Anthony Brodeur play in the AHL, you should probably read my post first. I was projecting Anthony Brodeur's sv% in the NHL.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 25 January 2014 - 02:26 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#247 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Since when did Anthony Brodeur play in the AHL, you should probably read my post first. I was projecting Anthony Brodeur's sv% in the NHL.

My fault, I was looking at the post above yours, and for some reason thought you were talking about Wedge, even though your post clearly says Anthony.  My mistake, sorry about that.

Geez, .855 in the NHL might be pretty generous for Anthony.  He'd probably have a tough time being a .890ish guy in the AHL.   

#30 FOREVER!

#248 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

AHL
Albany lost to Adirondack 2-1 for their 3rd loss in a row. The lone Devils goal came from Sislo (PP, Larsson, Boucher). Wedgewood stopped 20 of 22 shots to earn 3rd star. The Devils outshot the Phantoms 28-22 and went 1/3 on the PP and 3/3 on the PK. Burlon and Scarlett were the 2 healthy D scratches. Here is the gamesheet.

ECHL
Elmira lost to Fort Wayne 4-0
Riley Boychuk: E, 2 PIM (Elbowing), 3 Shots
Harry Young: E, 10 PIM (Misconduct), 1 Shot

Edited by thefiestygoat, 26 January 2014 - 12:44 AM.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#249 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

AHL
Albany lost to Binghamton 6-3 for their 4th straight loss, this one coming against Maxime Clermont's ECHL G partner in Elmira. Scoring for the Devils was Hoeffel (Pelley, Larsson), Larsson (PP, Scarlett, Whitney), and Kelly (Sislo, Scarlett). Kinkaid started but was pulled after making no saves on 3 shots in 9:21. Wedgewood stopped 13 of 15 in 49:35. The Devils outshot the Senators 36-19 and went 1/5 on the PP and 2/3 on the PK. Larsson was 3rd star. Here is the gamesheet.

Stats:
Keith Kinkaid: 26 GP 16-8-1, 2.39 GAA, .910 SV%, 4 SO
Scott Wedgewood: 18 GP 7-8-2, 2.68 GAA, .893 SV%, 1 SO
Adam Larsson: 9 GP 1-6-7, +1, 6 PIM, 7.14 SH%, 1.55 SH/GP
Reece Scarlett: 37 GP 4-11-15, +9, 16 PIM, 8.51 SH%, 1.27 SH/GP
Mike Sislo: 33 GP 12-13-25, +8, 16 PIM, 15.18 SH%, 2.39 SH/GP

ECHL
Elmira defeated Fort Wayne 4-1
Riley Boychuk: E, 10 PIM (Misconduct)
Harry Young: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Elbowing)

#250 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Wow, Kinkaid's save% is sinking like a stone.

#30 FOREVER!

#251 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

I know goalies are hard to project but in the brief time I've seen kinkaid I haven't been impressed. I don't get how some people think he's going to be a legit nhl goalie and I would not feel comfortable with him at all as the backup next year.

#252 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

I know goalies are hard to project but in the brief time I've seen kinkaid I haven't been impressed. I don't get how some people think he's going to be a legit nhl goalie and I would not feel comfortable with him at all as the backup next year.

I'm guessing, if the Devils and Marty do the right thing and Marty's not back next season, Lou looks for a Hedberg type...a guy who's both started and backed up, and has been decent for his career.  I don't have any names in mind at the moment, but I can't see Kinkaid getting a real shot at the job. 

#30 FOREVER!

#253 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Darcy Zajac back at Albany Devils practice so Artem Demkov has been loaned back to Elmira. Demkov had 6 goals, 5 assists in 22 games. Demkov was nearly in the 75th percentile in points per game for age 24 AHLers and above it for goals per game. Solid job in his first taste AHL action. Albany has a full 25 man roster now with D. Zajac healthy and the Devils organization now has 4 players in Elmira (Demkov, Boychuk, Young, Clermont). Things getting a bit crowded.

ECHL

Elmira defeated Kalamazoo 4-1
Artem Demkov: Goal (PP), Assist (PP), +1, 4 Shots
Riley Boychuk: E, 2 PIM (Holding), 3 Shots
Harry Young: E

-- Demkov has 11 goals, 3 assists in 18 ECHL games this season.

#254 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

I'm guessing, if the Devils and Marty do the right thing and Marty's not back next season, Lou looks for a Hedberg type...a guy who's both started and backed up, and has been decent for his career.  I don't have any names in mind at the moment, but I can't see Kinkaid getting a real shot at the job. 

There's a lot of them to be had, and for cheap. I feel like before 3-4 years ago, above-par goaltending was hard to come by, but a lot of younger kids have stepped up since. There are a lot of 25-30 year old backups now who probably would've been starters from 2000-2010.

#255 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

AHL
Albany defeated Bridgeport 2-1. Scoring for the Devils was Boucher (K. Zajac, Tedenby) and Sestito (Pesonen, Pelley). Kinkaid stopped 27 of 28 shots to earn 1st star. Albany was outshot 28-22 and went 0/3 on the PP and 1/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Stats:
Keith Kinkaid: 27 GP 17-8-1, 2.33 GAA, .912 SV%, 4 SO
Reid Boucher: 25 GP 11-10-21, +2, 4 PIM, 14.47 SH%, 3.04 SH/GP
Kelly Zajac: 36 GP 6-18-24, +7, 2 PIM, 13.63 SH%, 1.22 SH/GP
Harri Pesonen: 43 GP 7-12-19, +8, 38 PIM, 7.95 SH%, 2.04 SH/GP

ECHL
Elmira defeated Fort Wayne 4-3 (OT)
Artem Demkov: Goal, 2 Assists, +3, 4 Shots
Riley Boychuk: E, 2 PIM (Boarding)
Harry Young: E, 1 Shot

#256 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

AHL
Albany lost to Hartford 4-3 (SO). Scoring for the Devils was Sislo, Pesonen (Larsson, Janssen), and Whitney (Boucher, K. Zajac). Tedenby had the lone Devils goal in the shootout as Boucher, Sislo, and Whitney were stopped. Kinkaid stopped 33 of 36 shots but none of the 3 he faced in the shootout. Gelinas had 2 shots and was a +3. Albany was outshot 36-16 and went 0/2 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Stats:
Keith Kinkaid: 28 GP 17-8-2, 2.35 GAA, .912 SV%, 4 SO
Mike Sislo: 34 GP 13-13-26, +7, 16 PIM, 16.25 SH%, 2.35 SH/GP
Harri Pesonen: 44 GP 8-12-20, +9, 38 PIM, 8.98 SH%, 2.02 SH/GP
Adam Larsson: 11 GP 1-7-8, +2, 6 PIM, 5.26 SH%, 1.72 SH/GP
Joe Whitney: 44 GP 17-21-38, E, 22 PIM, 13.17 SH%, 2.93 SH/GP
Reid Boucher: 26 GP 11-11-22, +2, 4 PIM, 14.47 SH%, 2.92 SH/GP
Kelly Zajac: 37 GP 6-19-25, +7, 2 PIM, 13.04 SH%, 1.24 SH/GP

ECHL
Elmira defeated Toledo 4-2
Artem Demkov: Assist, +1, 4 Shots
Riley Boychuk: +1, 14 PIM (Holding, Slashing, Misconduct)
Harry Young: Goal, +1, 2 Shots

Note: Demkov now has 12 goals and 6 assists in 20 games. He has 2 goals and 4 assists in 3 games since being loaned by Albany.

#257 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

I've always been a bit skeptical of Boucher but he's really having a solid rookie season. His 22 points in 26 games puts him close to the 95th percentile for AHL points per game (.846 vs .897) and his 11 goals put him above the 95th percentile in goals per game (.423 vs .391). Solid job as a 20 year old rookie. I hope he can keep it up and finish the year strong.

#258 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

I've always been a bit skeptical of Boucher but he's really having a solid rookie season. His 22 points in 26 games puts him close to the 95th percentile for AHL points per game (.846 vs .897) and his 11 goals put him above the 95th percentile in goals per game (.423 vs .391). Solid job as a 20 year old rookie. I hope he can keep it up and finish the year strong.

yeah I was pleased by the way he looked up here. Obviously he has a lot of improving to be a legit nhler but if his scoring can be good enough to warrant a top 6 spot he could be ok. I know their not apples to apples but a guy like Ryder is basically useless if he doesn't score... Boucher probably has to be in the same mold as pure scorer to be successful.

#259 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

yeah I was pleased by the way he looked up here. Obviously he has a lot of improving to be a legit nhler but if his scoring can be good enough to warrant a top 6 spot he could be ok. I know their not apples to apples but a guy like Ryder is basically useless if he doesn't score... Boucher probably has to be in the same mold as pure scorer to be successful.

Boucher did a lot of small things better than Ryder already.  Might not score as many goals, but he could be a better player.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#260 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

Albany lost to Springfield 4-0. Gelinas (7) and Larsson (3) combined for 10 of Albany's 25 shots. Wedgewood stopped 27 of 31 shots. Albany went 0/4 on the PP and 5/7 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet. Albany is now 7th in the conference with 55 points. 4th thru 9th is seperated by just 2 points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users