470 replies to this topic

#61 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Albany lost to Adirondack 2-0. Wedgewood stopped 23 of 25 shots and was named 2nd star. Helgeson and Scarlett had a team high 4 shots each. Burlon and Boychuk were the only Devils without a shot on goal. Albany was 0/4 on the PP but 6/6 on the PK and had the edge in shots 28-25. Here is the gamesheet. Worth noting that Timmins didn't play with some sort of injury.

Highlights from yesterday's game were edited in above.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 10 November 2013 - 07:45 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#62 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

Albany defeated Bridgeport 5-2. Scoring for the Devils was Whitney (Olesz, Kelly), Pelley (Hrabarenka, Pesonen), McKelvie (Hrabarenka, Boucher), Kelly (Pelley, Matteau), and Boucher (Pesonen, Matteau). Kinkaid stopped 25 of 27 shots. Shots were even at 27, Albany went 0/3 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Kelly, Pelley, and Pesonen were the 3 stars. Boucher had a game high 5 shots. Here is the gamesheet.

Some random stats:

Reid Boucher: 14 GP 5-6-11, +3, 2 PIM, 10.4 SH%, 3.42 SH/GP
Joe Whitney: 14 GP 6-7-13, +3, 12 PIM, 15.7 SH%, 2.71 SH/GP
Stefan Matteau: 13 GP 1-2-3, -2, 8 PIM, 6.2 SH%, 1.23 SH/GP
Keith Kinkaid: 6 GP 4-1-0-1, 2.48 GAA, .901 SV%

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#63 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Albany defeated Bridgeport 5-2. Scoring for the Devils was Whitney (Olesz, Kelly), Pelley (Hrabarenka, Pesonen), McKelvie (Hrabarenka, Boucher), Kelly (Pelley, Matteau), and Boucher (Pesonen, Matteau). Kinkaid stopped 25 of 27 shots. Shots were even at 27, Albany went 0/3 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Kelly, Pelley, and Pesonen were the 3 stars. Boucher had a game high 5 shots. Here is the gamesheet.

Some random stats:

Reid Boucher: 14 GP 5-6-11, +3, 2 PIM, 10.4 SH%, 3.42 SH/GP
Joe Whitney: 14 GP 6-7-13, +3, 12 PIM, 15.7 SH%, 2.71 SH/GP
Stefan Matteau: 13 GP 1-2-3, -2, 8 PIM, 6.2 SH%, 1.23 SH/GP
Keith Kinkaid: 6 GP 4-1-0-1, 2.48 GAA, .901 SV%

I haven't followed the AHL all that closely in years past. What exactly should I expect from Matteau by year's end though? You mentioned how he's one of the few 19 year olds in the league and that a power forward type takes longer to develop, so should I just not pay attention to him until next year or is there a mark you'd like to see him hit by the end of the year?

#64 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Reid Boucher's shot isn't fair

#65 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think a good season for Matteau would be something like 15 goals 15 assists per 80 games.  I'd like to see him at 2 shots/game too.  19 year olds in the AHL are usually excellent offensive players - Matteau is not that.  As an analogue, Zemgus Girgensons played in the AHL as an 18 year old and had 17 points (6 goals) in 61 games.

I imagine Matteau will get more opportunities if someone gets called up to NJ, but right now that doesn't look imminent.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#66 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

I think a good season for Matteau would be something like 15 goals 15 assists per 80 games.  I'd like to see him at 2 shots/game too.  19 year olds in the AHL are usually excellent offensive players - Matteau is not that.  As an analogue, Zemgus Girgensons played in the AHL as an 18 year old and had 17 points (6 goals) in 61 games.

I imagine Matteau will get more opportunities if someone gets called up to NJ, but right now that doesn't look imminent.

Ok. So I guess he's not as far off the mark as it would seem he is based on the 3 points and 16 shots he's put on goal. I just want to see him do well because we probably should have given up the pick. I get LL's reasoning, but it still was a questionable decision, imo. If he does well, it takes the sting away from that a bit.

#67 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Have to be satisfied with Boucher's shots per game, no?

#68 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

Have to be satisfied with Boucher's shots per game, no?

He's leading AHL rookies in shots and probably is leading or is right up there in shots per game. Tied for 4th in the league in shots. He's 8th in rookie scoring. I'm pretty happy with his numbers so far, but I do wonder how his defensive game has been this year. I haven't seen any of the games.

#69 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Ok. So I guess he's not as far off the mark as it would seem he is based on the 3 points and 16 shots he's put on goal. I just want to see him do well because we probably should have given up the pick. I get LL's reasoning, but it still was a questionable decision, imo. If he does well, it takes the sting away from that a bit.

I agree with you. Sucks for Matteau but it will be tough for him to ever live down the draft pick that shouldn't have been. We are all hoping for big things from him.

Posted Image

#70 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

Elmira lost to Wheeling 1-0. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospects:
Harry Young: E, 2 Shots
Maxime Clermont: DNP

#71 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

AHL
Albany defeated Hartford 3-0. Scoring for the Devils was Boychuk (Hoeffel, Kelly), Whitney (Olesz, Kelly), and Pelley (EN, McKelvie). Kinkaid stopped all 25 shots he faced. The Devils were 0/4 on the PP but 4/4 on the PK and were outshot 25-20. Burlon and Matteau had a team high 3 shots each. Kinkaid, Kelly, and Whitney were the 3 stars. Here is the gamesheet.

Keith Kinkaid: 7 GP 5-1-0-1, 2.13 GAA, .915 SV%
Joe Whitney: 15 GP 7-7-14, +4, 12 PIM, 17.5 SH%, 2.66 SH/GP

ECHL
Elmira lost to Wheeling 5-1. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospects:
Harry Young: E, 3 Shots
Maxime Clermont: DNP

#72 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

AHL
Albany had a 2-1 shootout win over Syracuse. They have won 4 of their last 5 games. Scoring for the Devils was Scarlett (PP, Whitney, Boucher). Boucher scored the lone shootout goal. Kinkaid stopped 29 of 30 shots and all 5 shooters he faced in the shootout. The Devils went 1/4 on the PP, 5/5 on the PK, and outshot Syracuse 34-30. Kinkaid and Scarlett were the 1st and 3rd stars. Whitney led the team with 5 shots followed by Boucher and Scarlett with 4 shots each. Here is the gamesheet.

Keith Kinkaid: 8 GP 6-1-1, 1.97 GAA, .922 SV%, 1 SO

ECHL
Elmira lost to Wheeling 5-4. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospects:
Harry Young: Called Up to Albany
Maxime Clermont: 26 Saves on 31 Shots

Edited by thefiestygoat, 16 November 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#73 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

This (& prospects) is the first thread I go to when I visit Fiesty. thanks for continual updates!

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#74 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

This (& prospects) is the first thread I go to when I visit Fiesty. thanks for continual updates!

Your welcome! I really enjoy following all the prospects and minor league teams. Some Albany news from today:

Kinkaid named CCM/AHL Player of the Week (video on the bottom of the article featuring some of his saves)

The American Hockey League announced today that Albany Devils goaltender Keith Kinkaid has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Nov. 17, 2013.

Kinkaid won all three of his starts last week, allowing a total of three goals on 82 shots (3-0-0, 0.97, .963). For the season, Kinkaid ranks second in the AHL with a 1.97 goals-against average, sporting a record of 6-1-1 with a .922 save percentage in eight appearances.

#75 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Your welcome! I really enjoy following all the prospects and minor league teams. Some Albany news from today:

Kinkaid named CCM/AHL Player of the Week (video on the bottom of the article featuring some of his saves)

I'll second what vadvlfan said.

You think sending down Merril was about getting him playing time since he'd been sidelined with his smashed face? I really would have liked to see him get a game in with NJ, but I can see why this is a good decision. Don't want him to miss too much time if he isn't gonna play. Although I think he could have replaced Harrold without it being an issue. Either it's my flawed perception or Harrold just hasn't been as good this year.

#76 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Third on that, love all the updates.

Also very happy to see Albany FINALLY having some success!  Playoffs might still be a longshot but here's hoping.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#77 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Merrill couldn't replace Harrold. Do people understand how well Harrold has been playing when healthy this season?

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#78 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

I'll second what vadvlfan said.

You think sending down Merril was about getting him playing time since he'd been sidelined with his smashed face? I really would have liked to see him get a game in with NJ, but I can see why this is a good decision. Don't want him to miss too much time if he isn't gonna play. Although I think he could have replaced Harrold without it being an issue. Either it's my flawed perception or Harrold just hasn't been as good this year.

Glad everyone enjoys the threads!

I think it was all about playing time in regards to Merrill being sent down, especially after that injury. It's still weird that the Devils would travel all the way across the country with only 6 D. Sure the odds are low that something happens but what would they do if the morning of the game one of the D wakes up with food poisoning or something? Even if they wanted to get Merrill back to Albany, I'm surprised they didn't call anyone up for cover.

Merrill couldn't replace Harrold. Do people understand how well Harrold has been playing when healthy this season?

He is much better than what people on here give him credit for. A lot of the reason he gets flack is because early in the season him being in the line up meant the the future D cornerstone of the franchise (Larsson) was out or one of NJ's best D in recent years (Fayne) was out. Naturally, and I include myself in this, it meant people bashing on Harrold unfairly. A lot like when people bash on Salvador or Volchenkov because of their contracts even though their play has been solid (I was guilty of this as well).

If anyone's interested in Harrold's numbers compared to the rest of the Devils D (min. 10+ GP):
3rd in EV TOI/GP: 16:29
4th in PP TOI/GP: 1:28
4th in 5v5 CF%: 52.8% (-1.0% CF% Rel), 5v5 FF% 52.5% (-1.0% FF% Rel)
2nd hardest O/DSt%: 48.8%

Overall he's been pretty solid though I would still rather have Fayne in the line up to keep him happy and in NJ long term (though that bridge may be burned). Harrold's better than the 7th D/AHL label that gets thrown his way, he can play at this level. He still makes a few too many errors for my liking that aren't necessarily reflected in those stats but yeah, he's been solid.

#79 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

I was referring to Merril getting a couple games, not as a permanent replacement. Also, while he's ok, he's is not and will never be better than Fayne, so I don't see why he gets to stay in all the time. Obviously he's in now because Volch is on IR, but I think with the games out west, Merril could have gotten a game or two in when we know we won't be giving up points to a team we have to compete with for a playoff spot.

#80 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Albany defeated Hartford 3-0 for their 4th win in a row and their 5th in their past 6 games. Scoring for the Devils was Matteau (Sestito, Whitney), Boucher (Sislo, K. Zajac), and Burlon (PP, Whitney, Boucher). Kinkaid stopped all 24 shots he faced for his 2nd shutout of the year. He has 2 shutouts in his past 3 starts and has only allowed 1 goal (78-79). Albany had the edge in shots 25-24, went 1/3 on the PP, and 2/2 on the PK. Pesonen led the team in shots with 4 followed closely by Whitney and Boucher who had 3 each. Kinkaid, Boucher, and Matteau were the 3 stars. This recent run has moved Albany into 2nd place in the Northeast Division. Here is the gamesheet.

Lines and pairings thanks to Bill Cain:
Boucher-K.Zajac-Sislo
Matteau-Sestito-Whitney
McKelvie-Pelley-Pesonen
Hoeffel-Wohlberg-Boychuk

Kelly-Scarlett
Helgeson-Merrill
Burlon-Hrabarenka

Stats:
Keith Kinkiad: 9 GP 7-1-1, 1.75 GAA, .930 SV%, 2 SO - Leads league in GAA.
Stefan Matteau: 16 GP 2-2-4, -2, 27 PIM, 9.09 SH%, 1.37 SH/GP
Joe Whitney: 17 GP 7-10-17, +5, 12 PIM, 14.58%, 2.82 SH/GP
Reid Boucher: 17 GP 6-8-14, +4, 2 PIM, 10.90 SH%, 3.23 SH/GP
Mike Sislo: 13 GP 4-2-6, +3, 4 PIM, 16.00 SH%, 1.92 SH/GP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users