470 replies to this topic

#121 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Around here or in the organization? Around here obviously Wedgewood is more highly thought of because he was a draft pick and this makes him special. In the organization it's unclear but Kinkaid is getting more starts and NJ was fine with leaving Wedgewood in the ECHL all last year. Goaltending is unpredictable but most goalies with Wedgewood's pedigree do not become NHLers.

interesting... Yeah tbh I doubt Kinkaid isn't anything more than a backup, but I figured with the age difference, draft status, and add in the fact wedgewood was good enough to start for canada at the wjc he might have some value around the league as an outside chance of developing into a starter, where as Kinkaid seems more like a career backup type at best.

Edited by dmann422, 11 December 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#122 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,105 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

sorry somehow my phone autocorrects it to Kincaid but I know the correct spelling... If we're calling wedgewood wedge than maybe I'll just call Kinkaid kinky to avoid that lol.

Anyway I know wedge's numbers aren't as impressive and kinky has gotten more opportunities but am I correct in assuming wedgewood is more highly thought of?

I think when Lou went out and traded his first-rounder for Schneider, that basically told you what he thought of both Kinkaid and Wedgewood.  He might not be sure which of them will be Cory's backup someday (if all goes according to plan...though a lot of Devil fans worry about Cory bolting, I think Lou is going to do everything possible to give Schneider reason to believe in the future of this franchise), but if he thought either one of them was capable of being a good NHL starter, he would've gotten a competent stopgap-type for a year or two. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#123 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Around here or in the organization?  Around here obviously Wedgewood is more highly thought of because he was a draft pick and this makes him special.  In the organization it's unclear but Kinkaid is getting more starts and NJ was fine with leaving Wedgewood in the ECHL all last year.  Goaltending is unpredictable but most goalies with Wedgewood's pedigree do not become NHLers.

Wedgewood I think was, and maybe still is, more highly thought of because by people on the outside because, if I recall correctly, he was considered a high upside type of goaltending prospect, unlike Clemente, or perhaps even someone like Frazee (he was drafted before I really started following prospects all that closely). 

Obviously, the Devils brass thought enough of Kincaid to make some effort to signing him out of college.  It wasn't a Justin Schultz or even Matt Gilroy-type bidding war, but he wasn't quite a Harry Pesonen-type free agent signing either. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#124 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,439 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Wedgewood I think was, and maybe still is, more highly thought of because by people on the outside because, if I recall correctly, he was considered a high upside type of goaltending prospect, unlike Clemente, or perhaps even someone like Frazee (he was drafted before I really started following prospects all that closely). 

Obviously, the Devils brass thought enough of Kincaid to make some effort to signing him out of college.  It wasn't a Justin Schultz or even Matt Gilroy-type bidding war, but he wasn't quite a Harry Pesonen-type free agent signing either. 

Kinkaid, with a K.  Also when people talk this way about goalies they are talking out of their ass.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#125 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Kinkaid, with a K. Also when people talk this way about goalies they are talking out of their ass.

probably so- the problem with goalies is they're hit or miss. You're either good enough or not. It's like like a skater where you can miss but still be good enough for a third line or pairing.

I was honestly just wondering if one of them would be worth enough as a secondary piece in a trade.

Edited by dmann422, 11 December 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#126 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

Kinkaid, with a K. Also when people talk this way about goalies they are talking out of their ass.

Talking what way about goalies?

If you're talking about Wedgewood, he was one of the youngest players in that draft, and was the WJC backup for Canada. That sounds like upside for a third round pick.

Or are you just saying you might as well not draft goalies or pick them at random since it's not predictable at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel, 11 December 2013 - 06:16 PM.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,439 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

Talking what way about goalies?

If you're talking about Wedgewood, he was one of the youngest players in that draft, and was the WJC backup for Canada. That sounds like upside for a third round pick.

Or are you just saying you might as well not draft goalies or pick them at random since it's not predictable at all.

When they talk about an 18 year old having 'high upside'.  Look, anyone potentially has high upside.  If the results aren't there before he's drafted, they're not likely to be there after, and that goes for anyone.

Wedgewood was one of the better goalies in the OHL, he played for the WJC team, and he might be pretty good but probably isn't.  So it goes with goaltending.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#128 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

I've always thought Kinkaid had the best chance to succeed in this league than any of our other goalie prospects.  I've never been a huge fan of Wedgewood.  But then again, goalie prospects are extremely unpredictable, and will always be crapshoots.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#129 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hypothetically if Brodeur retires after this year and Kinkaid finishes with a strong season, I do wonder if Lou would be comfortable having him as the back up to Schneider next year. By then he would be 25 with 3 AHL seasons under his belt.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#130 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,105 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hypothetically if Brodeur retires after this year and Kinkaid finishes with a strong season, I do wonder if Lou would be comfortable having him as the back up to Schneider next year. By then he would be 25 with 3 AHL seasons under his belt.

Would be nice for the Devils to have a backup from within.  It'd be great to see Kinkaid succeed where Frazee failed. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#131 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Reading the tea leaves, that's what Lou seems to be hoping for, assuming Moose doesn't come out of retirement.

Posted Image

#132 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

I've always thought Kinkaid had the best chance to succeed in this league than any of our other goalie prospects. I've never been a huge fan of Wedgewood. But then again, goalie prospects are extremely unpredictable, and will always be crapshoots.

just wondering how many games have you seen of both of them to make this judgement or is it just a guess?

#133 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

just wondering how many games have you seen of both of them to make this judgement or is it just a guess?

I've seen both play many times.  That's what's great about HockeyStreams.com.

Do you not agree with my opinion?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#134 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

Reading the tea leaves, that's what Lou seems to be hoping for, assuming Moose doesn't come out of retirement.

He scouts NYR and whatever teams that play in MSG.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#135 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:50 AM

I think when Lou went out and traded his first-rounder for Schneider, that basically told you what he thought of both Kinkaid and Wedgewood.  He might not be sure which of them will be Cory's backup someday (if all goes according to plan...though a lot of Devil fans worry about Cory bolting, I think Lou is going to do everything possible to give Schneider reason to believe in the future of this franchise), but if he thought either one of them was capable of being a good NHL starter, he would've gotten a competent stopgap-type for a year or two.

I agree but they haven't shown him much reason to stay so far. That has to change quickly. Lundquist signing with the Rangers eliminated him from the mix for the Devils.

#136 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

Goaltending is a buyer's market. IF Corey goes UFA it sucks (because of the investment made) but there'll be good goalies to be had for less money. 

Still, he'll have a very good situation here, one that I think is tough to beat, unless a team like the Pens throw a lot of money at him.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#137 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

I've seen both play many times. That's what's great about HockeyStreams.com.

Do you not agree with my opinion?

no I have no idea that's why I asked my original question. I've only see either of them play a handful of times and on top of that I have no idea how to evaluate goalie prospects. Thanks!

#138 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,105 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

I agree but they haven't shown him much reason to stay so far. That has to change quickly. Lundquist signing with the Rangers eliminated him from the mix for the Devils.

It doesn't have to change quickly.  If the team is looking good or soon-to-be-good next season, then this season isn't going to matter that much, in the grand scheme.  But I do think he has to start playing more.  His not getting more playing time is clearly irking him, and on top of that, there's not one good reason why he SHOULDN'T be playing more.  He's right to be irked by the way he's been used.

#30 FOREVER!

#139 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

He scouts NYR and whatever teams that play in MSG.

I was being sarcastic.

Posted Image

#140 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

It doesn't have to change quickly.  If the team is looking good or soon-to-be-good next season, then this season isn't going to matter that much, in the grand scheme.  But I do think he has to start playing more.  His not getting more playing time is clearly irking him, and on top of that, there's not one good reason why he SHOULDN'T be playing more.  He's right to be irked by the way he's been used.

I'm pretty confident that Lou will give Schneider an offer sometime this summer, perhaps sooner, that will really give a sense of whether Schneider just wants to play for another team.  If Schneider just wants to move on, he'll get traded, hopefully to a team like Edmonton that has a lot of long term assets to give up. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users