470 replies to this topic

#141 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Goaltending is a buyer's market. IF Corey goes UFA it sucks (because of the investment made) but there'll be good goalies to be had for less money. 

Still, he'll have a very good situation here, one that I think is tough to beat, unless a team like the Pens throw a lot of money at him.

If we lose Cory to FA, it will be an unmitigated disaster for this franchise.  To give up the #9 pick (which could have been Nichuskin) for a goalie that is here for only 2 years when you expect him to be the "future," sets us back big time.  This potential scenario is part of the reason I wasn't all in for this trade to begin with.  It's a good trade if Cory re-signs, and a very bad one if he leaves.  IMO, the Devils will give him whatever he wants to stay this offseason as it has to be a top priority for them.

Posted Image

#142 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

If we lose Cory to FA, it will be an unmitigated disaster for this franchise.  To give up the #9 pick (which could have been Nichuskin) for a goalie that is here for only 2 years when you expect him to be the "future," sets us back big time.  This potential scenario is part of the reason I wasn't all in for this trade to begin with.  It's a good trade if Cory re-signs, and a very bad one if he leaves.  IMO, the Devils will give him whatever he wants to stay this offseason as it has to be a top priority for them.

I'm not really concerned about this because if Schneider leaves there will be plenty of top picks in the future.  (Although with how well the young defensemen are playing maybe that isn't the case)

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#143 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

How does losing one goalie to FA and replacing him with another from free agency (and there will be goalies in FA, believe me) set a franchise back? 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#144 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

How does losing one goalie to FA and replacing him with another from free agency (and there will be goalies in FA, believe me) set a franchise back?

don't you know that around here draft picks and lottery tickets are much more valuable than safe bets and smart investments?

Don't you know this franchise is doomed because we can't draft a 17 year old hope and prayer in the first round this year?

You're so silly.

#145 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

It doesn't have to change quickly. If the team is looking good or soon-to-be-good next season, then this season isn't going to matter that much, in the grand scheme. But I do think he has to start playing more. His not getting more playing time is clearly irking him, and on top of that, there's not one good reason why he SHOULDN'T be playing more. He's right to be irked by the way he's been used.

#146 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

It doesn't have to change quickly. If the team is looking good or soon-to-be-good next season, then this season isn't going to matter that much, in the grand scheme. But I do think he has to start playing more. His not getting more playing time is clearly irking him, and on top of that, there's not one good reason why he SHOULDN'T be playing more. He's right to be irked by the way he's been used.

That's what I meant with change quickly. More playing time now.

#147 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

It would set this franchise back tremendously because the team can't score goals, and probably won't be able to for the foreseeable future.  The idea is to have a goalie that gives you a chance to win with some amount of consistency when you're probably going to score two or less goals between 50 and 60 games.  You can't just find a goalie on the free agent market that can do that, or you at least can't count on it. 

If you're talking about a team like the Penguins, Blackhawks, or Kings, losing even a great goalie wouldn't be the end of the world. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#148 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm not really concerned about this because if Schneider leaves there will be plenty of top picks in the future.  (Although with how well the young defensemen are playing maybe that isn't the case)

Having lots of top picks has done wonders for Edmonton. 

Fine if you're counting on landing Connor McDavid.  Otherwise, it would be a very long road back.  All depends on whether you're willing to live with that.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#149 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

It would set this franchise back tremendously because the team can't score goals, and probably won't be able to for the foreseeable future. The idea is to have a goalie that gives you a chance to win with some amount of consistency when you're probably going to score two or less goals between 50 and 60 games. You can't just find a goalie on the free agent market that can do that, or you at least can't count on it.

If you're talking about a team like the Penguins, Blackhawks, or Kings, losing even a great goalie wouldn't be the end of the world.

I doubt Lou let's Cory walk but even so there are some decent goaltenders available via ufa in 2015 and as we know a lot can change with a roster in 2 years. Just look at where we were 2 years ago.

#150 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Because it just isn't as easy as you are making it seem.  If it was so easy to pick up a top flight goaltender on the FA market, then why didn't Lou just go that route and keep the pick?  Seems like that would have been a better option for a team that is clearly rebuilding (without admitting it is rebuilding), no?

Posted Image

#151 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

I doubt Lou let's Cory walk but even so there are some decent goaltenders available via ufa in 2015 and as we know a lot can change with a roster in 2 years. Just look at where we were 2 years ago.

At this juncture, you have to assume that significant goal scoring that can let you get away with having a "decent" goalie is far off.  In fact, it'll probably get worse before it gets better since almost all of the players you can count on to score goals are some of the oldest guys on the team.   

Posted Image

#152 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

At this juncture, you have to assume that significant goal scoring that can let you get away with having a "decent" goalie is far off. In fact, it'll probably get worse before it gets better since almost all of the players you can count on to score goals are some of the oldest guys on the team.

I think that deboers system will allow decent goaltenders to keep us in games. When your only giving up 20 shots a game decent goaltending should cut it.

Also there are plenty of quality forwards who are scheduled to be ufa in the next 2 years. Again, did you think last year hat we would be without kovy and have Ryder Brunner clowe and jagr in this team? A lot can change in 2 years plus we obviously have some defensive assets to trade if need be.

Again though i think this is all moot since Lou will probably make sure Cory is here long term.

#153 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Anyway this is the Albany thread and has gotten off-track.  Kinkaid is showing signs of improvement, here's hoping he can maintain a .920 SV% this year.  Wedgewood's year is probably sunk unless one of the goalies up here gets hurt and he gets a bunch of starts - it's going to be hard for him to get over .900 given his start.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#154 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Anyway this is the Albany thread and has gotten off-track.  Kinkaid is showing signs of improvement, here's hoping he can maintain a .920 SV% this year.  Wedgewood's year is probably sunk unless one of the goalies up here gets hurt and he gets a bunch of starts - it's going to be hard for him to get over .900 given his start.

Great point. This and the "Prospect" thread were threads I would go to for updates and discussions on young players who are killing it right now. The headaches of the big club have begun to stink up this thread.

Also, Joe Whitney is a little firecracker that I want to see rewarded with a few games in NJ this year, unless he'd be a waiver target (doubt it). I think Whitney would be more useful than Teddy/Brunner as a speed winger and at the very least the kid deserves a few games of NHL Salary for the pts he's putting up in Albany. Go Lil Devs!

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#155 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

I apologize as it seems my question regarding the goaltending prospects seemed to have thrown us off a bit.

On Whitney- yeah it's surprising he hasn't gotten a shot. If he's not getting a call over sestito and Janssen it seems like he may never get one.

#156 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Does Whitney have a 2 way NHL contract?  I thought he was signed to an AHL deal.  He should get a shot eventually with the big club.  He's numbers have been impressive thus far in Albany.

Posted Image

#157 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Does Whitney have a 2 way NHL contract?  I thought he was signed to an AHL deal.  He should get a shot eventually with the big club.  He's numbers have been impressive thus far in Albany.

He signed his first NHL deal this off season. Two years, 2-way.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#158 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I apologize as it seems my question regarding the goaltending prospects seemed to have thrown us off a bit.

On Whitney- yeah it's surprising he hasn't gotten a shot. If he's not getting a call over sestito and Janssen it seems like he may never get one.

Back to your goalie prospect question, I think Wedge needs a year or so in the AHL before we know what he is. Goalies take some time to develop (as we see with Kinkaid.) Wedgewood is only 21, and at that age, Kinkaid was still an undrafted college player. From what I've seen, Wedge has got a real solid Carey Price-like style of butterfly in that he stays low, makes a save on his knees, and pops right back up to his feet. He's 6'1 and 190 but looks very compact. He moves from side to side in one smooth motion, again like Price and most butterfly goalies now. As for intangibles, he has a history of coming up big in big games and being able to remain calm in all situations, much like Marty in his prime (which I'm sure is what drew Conte and Lou to him.)

Kinkaid will be 25 this summer and is just now really showing what he can do, so I think we'll know more where Wedge stands next season or the season after.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#159 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

ECHL Wednesday
Elmira lost to Florida 2-1
Maxime Clermont G: 21 Saves on 23 Shots* 3rd Star

ECHL Thursday
Elmira defeated Wheeling 5-2
Maxime Clermont G: 44 Saves on 46 Shots* 1st Star
Season: 9 GP 3-5-1, 3.25 GAA, .898 SV%

Nice to see him getting hot in his last 3 starts now that Elmira's starter is out.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#160 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Albany defeated Bridgeport 6-1 for their 5th win in a row. Tedenby led the way with 2 goals and an assist followed by McKelvie with a goal and an assist, and Whitney, Demkov, and Hoeffel each adding a goal. Sislo and Hrabarenka had 2 assists each. Kinkaid stopped 23 of 24 shots. Shots were even at 24 and Albany was 3/6 on the PP and 6/7 on the PK. Tedenby, Kinkaid, and McKelvie were the 3 stars. Here is the gamesheet.

Stats and Streaks:
Keith Kinkaid: 15 GP 11-3-1, 2.03 GAA, .921 SV%, 3 SO
Keith Kinkaid Last 4 Starts: 4-0-0, 1.71 GAA, .941 SV%, 1 SO - stopped 112 of 119 shots
Raman Hrabarenka: 2 goals, 7 assists in last 8 games.
Reece Scarlett: 3 goals, 3 assists in last 6 games.
Artem Demkov: 2 goals, 1 assist in 4 career AHL games.
Mike Sislo: 4 goals, 5 assists in last 6 games.
Joe Whitney: 2 goals, 5 assists in last 5 games.

Notes:

Timmins back at practice but timetable to return is still unknown.

Albany signs Demkov to AHL deal.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 13 December 2013 - 10:26 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users