1873 replies to this topic

#441 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Interesting timing considering I think he's been having his worst year in a while. His GAA is higher than usual, but not only that, he's let in goals at the absolute worst times and worst ways. The Devils-Rangers game at MSG has been a microcosm of this season.

#442 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

Interesting timing considering I think he's been having his worst year in a while. His GAA is higher than usual, but not only that, he's let in goals at the absolute worst times and worst ways. The Devils-Rangers game at MSG has been a microcosm of this season.

He started slow but has played better, though he's been a little inconsistent overall. 

I don't think the Rangers would have been THAT bad off if he had left, but it's a tough call...it's nice to have a guy you know can do the job, and the Rangers have no idea if Cam Talbot could've been that guy.  Lots of teams who can't ever seem to find a starting goalie that can be counted on year after year.  But wow is that a LOT of coin.    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#443 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Interesting timing... 8.5 mil makes him by far the highest paid goalie, but the rags needed to lock him up.

It's certainly no hometown discount, but their saving grace will be that the cap is expected to rise quite a bit over the next few years, so as long as he sustains his play it should be ok.

It's no hometown discount for the next two, but it's pretty friendly after that since the cap will go up and his cap hit will be ~10% of the ceiling, like it's been for the past few years.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#444 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Watch Lundqvist all of a sudden find his game and have it all be a coincidence.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#445 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

It's no hometown discount for the next two, but it's pretty friendly after that since the cap will go up and his cap hit will be ~10% of the ceiling, like it's been for the past few years.

I agree the cap hit probably won't be an issue as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff, but I just don't think he's $1.5 million better than quick or $2.5 million better than rask.

#446 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Smart signing for both sides. A little expensive, and I could see it get ugly if Talbot continues his strong play, but they locked up a proven number 1 for the rest of his career.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#447 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

How could you ever justify the trading of a top scorer at the deadline when you're right in the middle of the race for the playoffs?

Thats simple. By knowing youre gonna lose him and choosing long term instead of short term. 29 teams doesnt win the cup every year, yet they come back the next year, they survive. How many team lose 3 30 goals scorers for absolutely nothing withing 2 season but yet the GM is not to blame at all?

www.SterioDesign.com

#448 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thats simple. By knowing youre gonna lose him and choosing long term instead of short term. 29 teams doesnt win the cup every year, yet they come back the next year, they survive. How many team lose 3 30 goals scorers for absolutely nothing withing 2 season but yet the GM is not to blame at all?

thank god you're not my gm... I'm glad we kept parise for the cup run and I'm glad we didn't trade clarkson for a second round pick when we still had a chance at the playoffs.

Joe Thornton is a ufa this offseason. If the sharks can't give him an extension before the deadline should they trade him? How about statsny, Phaneuf, Callahan or steen? Each of those teams are looking at the playoffs but should they just cut bait now so that they don't walk for nothing?

#449 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

That would put you in a perpetual state of trading assets for fear of losing them, and then turning around and trading the assets you received again. You have to go for the shot at the cup. We all know that anything can happen once you get into the playoffs.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#450 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

That would put you in a perpetual state of trading assets for fear of losing them, and then turning around and trading the assets you received again. You have to go for the shot at the cup. We all know that anything can happen once you get into the playoffs.

Explain it to the nearest wall, you'd stand a much better chance of making anything resembling progress. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 December 2013 - 01:57 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#451 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Explain it to the nearest wall, you'd stand a much better chance of making anything resembling progress. 

Yeah, everyone has said what they have to say on this point.  There's no need for anyone to get in the final word, so hopefully we can put this one to bed.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#452 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, everyone has said what they have to say on this point.  There's no need for anyone to get in the final word, so hopefully we can put this one to bed.

Fair enough. We will consider my post the final word.... which means I'm right... *pats self on back, puts trophy on shelf*

#453 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Wait, we get trophies now?!  I want a trophy..

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#454 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Dallas Stars doing us a huge favor right now. 3 goals in 1 minute to make it 4-1 against the Flyers to start to 3rd.

#455 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

They scored 3 goals in a minute.  Why can't the Devils do that?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#456 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Everybody is making a huge deal about what happened with Thornton and Orpik. but did anybody else see what Rinaldo did??

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ud_9yl3Byhw

What a fvcking scumbag. I wouldn't mind seeing Thornton, nor Rinaldo never play in the NHL again.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#457 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Go Caps!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#458 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Pascal Dupuis broke Chris Kelly's ankle slashing him last night.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#459 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

3-0 Caps after 2.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#460 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

anybody see what grabovski did on that penalty shot?  we need to have gelanis do the same!  just for the sheer fun of it.  cant be worse than what were getting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users