1873 replies to this topic

#61 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

It would be something if Torts is a much better coach than we thought.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#62 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Wow, shots 17-3 Ana after 1
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#63 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

But in all seriousness I agree, it seems like a while since we've had a highly talented prospect projected to be a definite top-line guy.

Boucher says hello. I think he'll be a dynamic prospect in a few years.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#64 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

It would be something if Torts is a much better coach than we thought.

I never thought he was a bad coach to begin with.  It's not like the Rangers ever underachieved in terms of their talent level really, and actually overachieved a couple years ago.

Dude, what the hell happened to the Rags this year? This isn't "just a slow start"... 9-2 the other night, and now 3-0 in the 1st period already against Anaheim... Something's up over there. I'm thinking we were all right about Lundqvist not being that good a goalie without the shot-blocking and the big pads. That's not my Devils fan rivalry-cynicism speaking, it just seems to be the case.

Even guys like McDonagh are just... slow, and out of position every time. Seems like they're not even trying.

It's possible...it's also possible the contract thing is getting to him, and it's also possible they aren't that good of a team and were propped up by the 92345 shot blocking system.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#65 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

New York Rangers Icecapades Troupe:

vine.co/v/hHMOIjjVTT1

Rangers are a hot mess right now. Suddenly, I don't feel so bad about our situation.

Edited by DJ Eco, 10 October 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#66 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Is Lundqvist using smaller pads? Five goals back to back games.

#67 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

Didn't mean to say he was bad, just more influential to the rags success than it seemed

I never thought he was a bad coach to begin with. It's not like the Rangers ever underachieved in terms of their talent level really, and actually overachieved a couple years ago.

It's possible...it's also possible the contract thing is getting to him, and it's also possible they aren't that good of a team and were propped up by the 92345 shot blocking system.

"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#68 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

6-0 Anaheim right now. May be another 9 goal night against the Rags. When was the last time a team was blown out two games in a row?

Edited by Amberite, 10 October 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#69 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

Big surprise that The King of Pads can't play with the reduced sizes.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#70 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

You guys are out of your minds, Hank is the only one playing, it would be 15-0 without him!

believe-zubrus.jpg

#71 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

This is getting ugly for NYR. So ugly I can hardly enjoy it. I think it'll work out for the Devils.
Posted Image

#72 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

This would be more enjoyable if the Devils actually had a win.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#73 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

He's a borderline NHLer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#74 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

As much as I want to agree, it seems that so many players can put up huge numbers in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL/etc. and not have it translate to the NHL. The Sarnia goals record is nice, but he beat a 17 year old Stamkos when he was 19. And it took him more games. Those two years make a huge difference, especially at that level. I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't think Boucher is on the level of Hertl, Tarasenko, Teravainen, etc. I definitely don't see him as a first liner, but you never know.

#75 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

This would be more enjoyable if the Devils actually had a win.

Been saying to myself all night. We better get the W tomorrow.

#76 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

Right now, the Rangers couldn't beat a pee wee team. They don't play any defense and are often caught up ice. AV's system is based on taking chances. I can't recall seeing McDonagh and Girardi look so out of sync. On one hand, I can name the forwards who are giving max effort. Lundqvist has smaller pads. Big deal. If your team doesn't play in front of you, you could be Hasek or Dryden and it would be the same result. I had some observations on tonight.

They were going to get out slowly. But I didn't expect to see them not even compete. And the next stop is St. Louis.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#77 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

I never thought he was a bad coach to begin with.  It's not like the Rangers ever underachieved in terms of their talent level really, and actually overachieved a couple years ago.

Didn't mean to say he was bad, just more influential to the rags success than it seemed

Hasan is right. The reason Tort had them play that way was due to personnel. A good coach adjusts to the roster. Even with Nash, they're not an overly skilled team. The Rangers won't be confused with the Islanders, Canucks or Sharks. You must have great team speed to play run and gun. Sather listened to Lundqvist, Richards and the press. He made the same mistake acquiring Nash. 2011-12 was their best shot. You don't break up a roster that close.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#78 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

15 goals against and 2 goals for the Rangers in the last 2 games.... that can make us feel better

www.SterioDesign.com

#79 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Living in DC I end up watching/attending a fair amount of Caps games and hang out with a lot of caps fans. Urbom played well last night and erskine (who is in their top 4) has played terrible in the 3 games i've seen. Certainly a big part of it is the atrocious D depth on the Caps, but I believe Urbom will be afforded every opportunity to win a spot in the top 4 of their lineup. It was the best thing possible for Urbom's career to be picked up by them.  I'll be sure to fill everyone in on what Urbom is able to do when given an opportunity at the NHL level.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#80 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hasan is right. The reason Tort had them play that way was due to personnel. A good coach adjusts to the roster. Even with Nash, they're not an overly skilled team. The Rangers won't be confused with the Islanders, Canucks or Sharks. You must have great team speed to play run and gun. Sather listened to Lundqvist, Richards and the press. He made the same mistake acquiring Nash. 2011-12 was their best shot. You don't break up a roster that close.

I can't speak for you personally, since I have no idea what your thoughts about the Nash trade and Torts firing were at the times they happened.  And it isn't really a dig so much at Ranger fans, since most fans are guilty of it.  But the fickleness of the mob is astounding.

When the Nash deal was announced, you would be hard pressed to find anyone that thought it was a bad deal for the Rangers, and it basically got Howson fired.  (My very unscientific analysis comes from getting Ranger fan thoughts from their messageboards).  The Rangers were supposedly one elite forward away from winning the Cup, even according to pseudo-stat nerds like Neal "I'm always right, except when I'm usually not, but there really is something scientific to my predictions" Greenberg, AND the Rangers managed to hold on to wunderkind Chris Kreider.  Last year, the big problem was Torts not opening things up. 

Just to be clear, I have no idea what's in store for the Rangers, since I haven't watched any of their games thus far, and can't tell if this is the start of a persistent trend.  But FWIW, Pierre McGuire, who, despite message board rantings, is a very good hockey analyst (who I would like the Devils to take a look at for GM when Lou retires), thinks that the shrunken pads and decreased back end of the net has really affected Lunqvist's game.  If that's true, the Rangers might be in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes next year.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users