1873 replies to this topic

#861 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

I post on another board where there are few COL fans who hate their defense. I wonder what it might take to swing a trade for Stastny.

I also was looking over the stars GDT from last night and some there were impressed with volchenkov and Salvador saying quote "that's exactly what we need"

Get on the phone Lou!

But seriously, a guy like statsny is going to cost you a good amount, but he is a ufa and a center to boot. I guess we could move henrique to wing but I'd prefer to hang onto our prospects unless it's an ideal fit.

#862 xxchaznjxx

xxchaznjxx

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

I also was looking over the stars GDT from last night and some there were impressed with volchenkov and Salvador saying quote "that's exactly what we need"

Get on the phone Lou!

But seriously, a guy like statsny is going to cost you a good amount, but he is a ufa and a center to boot. I guess we could move henrique to wing but I'd prefer to hang onto our prospects unless it's an ideal fit.

I get the UFA thing and I'd only look to trade him if we could have a deal in place for him. I don't think we'd have to move Henrique though, I was thinking we could slide him in between Elias and Brunner. I don't know if Gelinas and Josefson would be a good start to that trade. I'm not looking to move Gelly but out of Larsson/Merrill/Gelly, he would be the one I'd move.

#863 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

I get the UFA thing and I'd only look to trade him if we could have a deal in place for him. I don't think we'd have to move Henrique though, I was thinking we could slide him in between Elias and Brunner. I don't know if Gelinas and Josefson would be a good start to that trade. I'm not looking to move Gelly but out of Larsson/Merrill/Gelly, he would be the one I'd move.

agreed that gelinas is the easiest to move, I don't think the Avs would be interested in jj at all with their young center depth.

Not to knock your proposal, but I'm wondering if there was any recent trades where a ufa negotiated an extension with his new team prior to being traded...I've seen this bandied about in proposals before but honestly I can't recall it happening in the nhl.

All said yeah stastny would be a great get but I don't think it happens. Lou will probably look into upgrades after the break but I think he'll want to hang into our young d, and without them we aren't getting any big names.

Edited by dmann422, 31 January 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#864 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

The only way you can trade Gelinas is if you package him and are getting some rising star franchise player in return. No gelly+yayo for a 32 year old left winger or something like that.

I'm not say gelinas alone is equal to that, he would have to be one of the pieces in a deal like that, because he is way more important to us then he likely is to other teams, simply because of what he is doing for our PP. and how he could be a fixture there for many years to come.

If we can round out his defensive game, kid could be a stud.

#865 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Get on the phone Lou!

I can't believe they showed interest in Sal. If only dallas brass showed the same POV, we're not that lucky though

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#866 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Get on the phone Lou!

Interesting you mention that. After the St. Louis game, there were some Blues fans on NHL.com that were kind of praising Salvador in a way. A few other fans of other teams commented and agreed, apparently his stock isn't as low around the league as I thought it was.

#867 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

I honestly don't think Salvador is as bad as he's made out to be around here. I think people are more frustrated with the fact that guys like Merrill and Larsson are sitting while he's playing. Also some don't like the fact that our captain is a 3rd pairing d.

Salvador is below average but he's still a 3rd pairing nhl defensemen, but I know many disagree with me on that so no need to argue it in the oot thread.

#868 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

I honestly don't think Salvador is as bad as he's made out to be around here. I think people are more frustrated with the fact that guys like Merrill and Larsson are sitting while he's playing. Also some don't like the fact that our captain is a 3rd pairing d.

Salvador is below average but he's still a 3rd pairing nhl defensemen, but I know many disagree with me on that so no need to argue it in the oot thread.

His ice time is that of a 2nd pairing guy, and that's why we're easy to rip on him.  I think he's a perfect 3rd pairing guy though.  Problem is that we can't have both him and Volcehnkov on this roster.  One has to go.  Salvador is the better option seeing how he doesn't have a NTC and Volch does.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#869 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

And he should be getting 3rd pairing minutes instead of being out there with the other team's goalie pulled with less than a minute left with only a 1 goal lead.  I know that part is not his fault but when he is out there when the pressure is high he seems to falter right at the most important moment.

#870 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

And he should be getting 3rd pairing minutes instead of being out there with the other team's goalie pulled with less than a minute left with only a 1 goal lead. I know that part is not his fault but when he is out there when the pressure is high he seems to falter right at the most important moment.

I don't disagree he should get less minutes, but those minutes cannot go to gelinas, which is partially why he has gotten more than he should. I'm fine with Merrill getting them and hopefully now he will, or even if Larsson comes back after the break and you move Volch to the left side that's fine too.

#871 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

I don't disagree he should get less minutes, but those minutes cannot go to gelinas, which is partially why he has gotten more than he should. I'm fine with Merrill getting them and hopefully now he will, or even if Larsson comes back after the break and you move Volch to the left side that's fine too.

Why can't they go to Gelinas?  He's not any worse defensively than Salvador, and he's 100000x better offensively.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#872 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Why can't they go to Gelinas? He's not any worse defensively than Salvador, and he's 100000x better offensively.

hey we can agree to disagree, but clearly Lou and Pete agree with me as evidenced by him getting benched last night and sent down today. The difference between the two defensively is much greater than you think- look at the zone starts.

#873 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

hey we can agree to disagree, but clearly Lou and Pete agree with me as evidenced by him getting benched last night and sent down today. The difference between the two defensively is much greater than you think- look at the zone starts.

Proof.  I need it.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#874 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

I can't see the Rags trading their captain, but this is interesting from Dreger: Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#875 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

I can't see the Rags trading their captain, but this is interesting from Dreger: Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

It's been reported that they're willing to deal him and Girardi if they're not re-signed.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#876 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

@DarrenDreger: Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Leafs for Cam Abner and Hartikainen.

#877 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

@DarrenDreger: Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Leafs for Cam Abner and Hartikainen.

Why couldn't we trade Salvador for those two no names?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#878 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Why couldn't we trade Salvador for those two no names?

Salvador is immovable because he has another year on his deal. No one will want him. He's garbage. We're stuck with him unfortunately. I mean, Pete could bench him, but that would actually make sense, so...

#879 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Salvador is immovable because he has another year on his deal. No one will want him. He's garbage. We're stuck with him unfortunately. I mean, Pete could bench him, but that would actually make sense, so...

fvcking A!  He's still a decent bottom pairing guy.  Someone has to take him!  :(

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#880 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

fvcking A! He's still a decent bottom pairing guy. Someone has to take him! :(

Someone may take him next year when he's an expiring contract, but not before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users