1873 replies to this topic

#941 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Looks like a little under $22 mil to spend next season, accoring to capgeek.  They have a big contract coming off the books in Heatley's.  They have four RFAs, but no major UFAs to worry about. 

That is certainly a help and keep forgetting about Heatley.  Is Vanek that much of an upgrade over him at this point?

#942 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

That is certainly a help and keep forgetting about Heatley.  Is Vanek that much of an upgrade over him at this point?

Yes. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#943 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

If they sign Vanek, Minnesota's defense and/or general depth is extreeeemely suspect.

If they were to sign him, they have a 2-3 year window (tops) that they absolutely must win the Cup or they probably won't contend for any time soon after that, barring another big overhaul of Compliance Buyouts and Amnesty, etc...

Edited by DJ Eco, 06 February 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#944 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

Definitely.  Heatley is terrrible now and is three years older than Vanek.  Heatley has 44 points and is a -22 in his last 94 games.  Vanek is still a good player.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#945 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,139 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

so now WE have to trade for a scorer to do everything we can to go for the cup even trading prospects/picks and ignore our future but when other teams are stacking, then for them you have to look down the road if they will be fvcked in a few years, oh i get it i get it.

www.SterioDesign.com

#946 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

so now WE have to trade for a scorer to do everything we can to go for the cup even trading prospects/picks and ignore our future but when other teams are stacking, then for them you have to look down the road if they will be fvcked in a few years, oh i get it i get it.

Apples and oranges. 

We have a huge stack of semi-expendable defensive prospects (and veterans too, if someone wants 'em) to try and trade for scoring forwards who are hopefully just young enough to count on sticking around here in the future. We're not going to magically draft a strong offense this season; not this year, and not within the next 4-5 years will we have a strong young offense in our farm. So now we need to clean that mess by using the cards that we were dealt to at least plug the holes for 4-5 years (via trade and especially UFA in July).

Now, having said all of that, our situation is completely different than what Minnesota would be doing by signing Vanek, which is ultimately having signed 4-5 Kovalchuk-ish long-term contracts, which will go super sour in 3-4 years if they don't get a Cup within that time, as they reach their 30s and past their prime. But it would be sort of worth it if they do. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by DJ Eco, 06 February 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#947 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Definitely.  Heatley is terrrible now and is three years older than Vanek.  Heatley has 44 points and is a -22 in his last 94 games.  Vanek is still a good player.

We already have a few defensively challenged forwards. No need for another one. I'd go for Stastny or Parenteau.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#948 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

We already have a few defensively challenged forwards. No need for another one. I'd go for Stastny or Parenteau.

No one was saying the Devils should trade for Heatley.  DM84 was asking about Minnesota's cap situation.  I told him that Heatley's big (and very bad) contract comes off after this season.  I don't think anyone wants Heatley...he looks like he might be done soon. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#949 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

Pretty much every team we're in contention with for a playoff spot is playing tonight. We need help from Edmonton, Colorado, Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Tampa Bay, Florida, Buffalo, and LA. This has the potential to be a giant clusterfvck of a night for us.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#950 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Detroit is the big one. We need Florida to beat Detroit

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#951 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

Detroit is the big one. We need Florida to beat Detroit

The Phailures losing in regulation would also be extremely helpful.

#952 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

True, but predictably that game is 1-0 Philly going into the 3rd. Also Detroit tied up Florida 1-1

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#953 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Of course, not one result is going our way. Not one. Its laughable.

#954 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

fvck you Colorado. Seriously, go fall in a puddle of hepatitis you useless a$$holes.

#955 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Edmonton is winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#956 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Edmonton baby, atta way Oil.

#957 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

Edmonton baby, atta way Oil.

I hope we get to face Bryz tomorrow night.  Apparently Callahan fvcked up.  I didn't get to see the ending because MSG crapped out.  lol

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#958 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

I hope we get to face Bryz tomorrow night. Apparently Callahan fvcked up. I didn't get to see the ending because MSG crapped out. lol

Careful what you wish lol. The Devils would have trouble scoring on a shooter tutor these days.

#959 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

Careful what you wish lol. The Devils would have trouble scoring on a shooter tutor these days.

Come on man!  Something's gotta give!  There's no way we can sustain this unlucky-ness forever, right?!  RIGHT?!

And did I tell you I'm going to the game?  I'm 7-1-3.  Just sayin'.   ;)

And I'm 6-0-1 when I sit in sec 132, row 3, seat 13.  That's where I'm sitting tomorrow night.

Edited by Mike Brown, 06 February 2014 - 09:49 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#960 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Aaaaand Detroit wins. fvck off Florida.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users