1873 replies to this topic

#981 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,933 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Edited by Satans Hockey, 07 February 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#982 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

we also know damn well just like the 2 years we missed the playoffs that the teams we're racing with WILL play against each other and go in OT/SO 90% of the time.

plus seriously, not that i dont want to believe in this team... but did they at ANY point in the season showed that they can go on a winning streak and stay consistant? 

Edited by SterioDesign, 07 February 2014 - 09:18 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#983 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Minus a major trade that shakes up the team, this team isn't going on any kind of run like that, and I think in our heart of hearts, we all know that. They haven't won 4 games in a row in almost a calendar year. They are what they are.

we also know damn well just like the 2 years we missed the playoffs that the teams we're racing with WILL play against each other and go in OT/SO 90% of the time.

plus seriously, not that i dont want to believe in this team... but did they at ANY point in the season showed that they can go on a winning streak and stay consistant?

That's why it's now or never.  Wanna show something?  Do it now.  If significant headway isn't made in the next 6 games, forget about it.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 February 2014 - 09:20 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#984 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

So five points out now...people can't keep saying we're 'only x number of points' out at this rate.

Overreacting. We now have a game in hand on Philly, New York, and Washington. Tonight and tomorrow are really the fork in the road, the true indication of what will go down in March and April.

#985 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Overreacting. We now have a game in hand on Philly, New York, and Washington. Tonight and tomorrow are really the fork in the road, the true indication of what will go down in March and April.

Winning two in a row isn't enough, though it'd be a nice start.  It won't mean much if the Devils lose two their next after the break.  They need to do something significant...no more treading water.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#986 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

I'm with you on this SD - luck hasn't been on the Devils' side this season so far (that PDO thread shows it), and there's no reason to assume it'll start now. 

There's no reason to trade off prospects or picks with the hopes that this team will suddenly show an ability to put a significant win streak together.  It's an average roster...the fact we're in even playoff discussion is an accomplishment, I think.  

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#987 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm with you on this SD - luck hasn't been on the Devils' side this season so far (that PDO thread shows it), and there's no reason to assume it'll start now.

There's no reason to trade off prospects or picks with the hopes that this team will suddenly show an ability to put a significant win streak together. It's an average roster...the fact we're in even playoff discussion is an accomplishment, I think.

i think everyone is in agreement that we shouldn't trade prospects or picks for rentals. Any of the defense prospects should only go in a package for a long term top 6 forward solution.

The debate at mostly has been whether we could get a rental for someone who isn't part of the future (ie zidlicky Brunner or fayne) or if we should just be outright sellers and let go of jagr.

Edited by dmann422, 07 February 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#988 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

Wow, Letang had a stroke... 

www.SterioDesign.com

#989 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yikes... out at least 6 weeks, expecting full recovery with blood thinners according to the Pens twitter. Crazy. That guy has had a really tough few months.

Edit... i should say full recovery health-wise, and that it isn't expected to be career threatening. Scary stuff.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 07 February 2014 - 11:47 AM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#990 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Wow, scary.  Very scary.  Wish the best for him.

Hard to believe these athletes, in the 1% of humanity in terms of physical fitness, can still be prone to these blood clot issues.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#991 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

that really sucks, met him a few times, he'll a real nice guy

www.SterioDesign.com

#992 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Winning two in a row isn't enough, though it'd be a nice start.  It won't mean much if the Devils lose two their next after the break.  They need to do something significant...no more treading water.   

Agree 100%, but people getting down that "we're now 5 points out of a playoff spot", but not taking into consideration we've now got a game in hand for the first time in a long time, is misleading and no different position than we've been in for a month or so, if we can get 3-4 points tonight and tomorrow.

Edited by DJ Eco, 07 February 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#993 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

Agree 100%, but people getting down that "we're now 5 points out of a playoff spot", but not taking into consideration we've now got a game in hand for the first time in a long time, is misleading and no different position than we've been in for a month or so, if we can get 3-4 points tonight and tomorrow.

The game in hand isn't on the team with the 5-point lead though.  Detroit and NJ are tied in number of games played (57).  They have a game in hand on Washington and Ottawa.   

#30 FOREVER!

#994 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

The game in hand isn't on the team with the 5-point lead though. Detroit and NJ are tied in number of games played (57). They have a game in hand on Washington and Ottawa.

we have one in hand against the flyers who are in the last metro playoff spot. I think that's what he meant.

Off topic a little but I still can't stand this format- it's annoying as hell with the crazy wild card.

#995 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

the sabres just put Omark on waivers... lets pick him strictly for the shootouts lol

edit: im only half joking

Edited by SterioDesign, 07 February 2014 - 02:46 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#996 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

The game in hand isn't on the team with the 5-point lead though.  Detroit and NJ are tied in number of games played (57).  They have a game in hand on Washington and Ottawa.   

I'm still keeping my siights on 3rd place in our Division, which is Philly and the Rangers one point ahead. I don't see either of them as locks in 2nd/3rd, they're both very reachable, and for the first time we have a game in hand on them and not the other way around. Which is why I think the "digging ourselves a deeper hole" is misleading. If we lose tonight, we will be in fact "digging ourselves a deeper hole", but we're not more than a point or so further out than we were a week ago, just need to game some ground, which is all very doable, while teams like the Rangers and Flyers come back to earth from their respective winning runs (which they are).

Edited by DJ Eco, 07 February 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#997 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'm still keeping my siights on 3rd place in our Division, which is Philly and the Rangers one point ahead. I don't see either of them as locks in 2nd/3rd, they're both very reachable, and for the first time we have a game in hand on them and not the other way around. Which is why I think the "digging ourselves a deeper hole" is misleading. If we lose tonight, we will be in fact "digging ourselves a deeper hole", but we're not more than a point or so further out than we were a week ago, just need to game some ground, which is all very doable, while teams like the Rangers and Flyers come back to earth from their respective winning runs (which they are).

I think it's pretty agreed that the spot is reachable. The issue more seems to be can the Devils actually put a string together that would close the point gap? This is a team that has only managed to win more than 2 in a row once all year, and that was a 3 game win streak in November. I'll pull for them to the end as always, but the pieces don't seem to be coming together this year.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#998 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,888 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

Columbus lost in regulation to SJ, good result.

for Saturday

Flames at Flyers - Go Calgary

Senators at Bruins - Go Boston

Canadiens at Hurricanes - Go Montreal

Red WIngs at Lightning - Go Tampa

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#999 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

Columbus lost in regulation to SJ, good result.

for Saturday

Flames at Flyers - Go Calgary

Senators at Bruins - Go Boston

Canadiens at Hurricanes - Go Montreal

Red WIngs at Lightning - Go Tampa

I just want the bottom 2 games to end in regulation.  All 4 of those teams are within reach.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1000 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

I've been focusing so hard on the WC spot that I wasn't really thinking about the 3rd spot in the Metro.  Yeah, right now the Devils are technically closer to that than they are the final WC berth.  Hard to believe they could be just one point behind the Flyers if all goes well tonight.  That'd be a hell of a way to go into the Olympic break.   

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users