55 replies to this topic

#21 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

Only saw bits and pieces of today's games but an exciting day for sure. Tigers and Rays try even up their respective series tomorrow.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#22 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

Woohoo Tampa!  The sooner the Red Sox are gone, the better!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#23 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

Woohoo Tampa!  The sooner the Red Sox are gone, the better!

.... lol, suck it!

#24 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Probably gonna have to schedule some repairs to a wall inside the Oakland Coliseum after that inning.

Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#25 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Red Sox win, advance to ALCS. Tigers came back from being down 3-0 and 4-3 to force a Game 5 Thursday night in Oakland. Pittsburgh (Gerrit Cole) and St. Louis (Wainwright) will face off tomorrow night to determine who faces Dodgers in the NLCS. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Much as I was rooting for the Pirates, gotta admit Cards-Dodgers is a pretty star-studded NLCS.  Pretty much a best-case scenario for MLB bigwigs having those two and the Red Sox in the last four.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Wainwright is just incredible. And everybody knows St. Louis is one of the best (the best, in my opinion) at player development, but man, it can't be emphasized enough. No Allen Craig? No problem -- Matt Adams says hello. 

Sucks to see Pittsburgh eliminated but they and their fans should be happy. What a season. Marte and Cole look like they can be great ones; McCutchen has a legit MVP case and is in his prime; Alvarez can probably hang with anyone in the NL in power; Taillon, Polanco, Hanson among others are very good/great prospects in their system that aren't far from contributing to the MLB team. They have a smart front office that makes good decisions and a manager that is willing to embrace advanced concepts. They should have their heads up about the future. This won't be a "1 and done" type of season for them; they'll be back fighting for the Central next year.

Edited by nmigliore, 09 October 2013 - 10:09 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#28 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Sorry to see Byrd not go all the way, but he did a nice job for the Pirates, both in the regular season and the playoffs...did exactly what he was brought in to do.

It will be a major risk because of his age, but I would love to see the Mets bring him back, if the cost is reasonable. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#29 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Congrats to the Tigers for advancing to the ALCS... Verlander dominates Oakland in a Game 5 for the 2nd straight year: 

Verlander, 2012 ALDS vs A's, Game 5 (in Oakland): 9 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 11 K

Verlander, 2013 ALDS vs A's, Game 5 (in Oakland) : 8 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 10 K

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#30 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

Oakland seems to be cursed in these game 5's

Guess I'll go with Boston in the ALCS. They have a 2004 feel to that team with the beards...they're a likeable misfit bunch.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#31 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

Verlander's 2012-13 postseason numbers:

6 starts, 43.1 IP, 22 H, 7 ER, 8 BB, 50 K, 1.45 ERA. 

Gotta love a guy who's at his best when the stakes are at their highest (though his 2011 postseason numbers were not nearly as good...I give him a pass on 2006 because it was his first full season in MLB). 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#32 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Beltran is the best in the postseason. That's not hyperbole either; his career postseason numbers rank among the best ever. Love that man.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#33 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

Beltran is the best in the postseason. That's not hyperbole either; his career postseason numbers rank among the best ever. Love that man.

No kidding. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#34 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

Maybe this is finally the year Beltran wins a WS.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#35 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

Kind of too bad he didn't do that in NY when he had the chance (though his overall numbers from that postseason were far from bad).

I'll always feel that something was missing from his NY tenure, but the guy is going to the Hall of Fame.  The Triple Crown numbers alone dictate that...he's going to finish around .280/400 HR/1500 RBI for his career, unless he experiences a sharp decline.  Only numbers that haven't been as good in recent regular seasons is his BB-to-K ratio, but everything else has been strong.

#30 FOREVER!

#36 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Screw Beltran:/

#37 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

Kind of too bad he didn't do that in NY when he had the chance (though his overall numbers from that postseason were far from bad).

I'll always feel that something was missing from his NY tenure, but the guy is going to the Hall of Fame.  The Triple Crown numbers alone dictate that...he's going to finish around .280/400 HR/1500 RBI for his career, unless he experiences a sharp decline.  Only numbers that haven't been as good in recent regular seasons is his BB-to-K ratio, but everything else has been strong.

He had a great postseason in 2006, particularly in the NLCS, but unfortunately gets remembered for that 1 AB way too often.

He definitely belongs in the HoF. Assuming the voters don't fvck up, it will be fascinating to see what cap he'll wear. His best season came as a Met and he had better overall success in New York as well. He made the postseason with New York (never with KC) during that incredible 2006 run and had a good case to win MVP that season to boot. I know the average Met fan is pretty neutral and not all that appreciative of Beltran, unfortunately, but I really hope he goes in as a Met.

Derek: I hate cheering for the Cardinals but yeah, I hope Beltran gets his ring. 

Edited by nmigliore, 12 October 2013 - 09:13 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#38 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm impressed by how productive Beltran has been even as he has entered the typical decline years. Sure he may fall off a cliff suddenly but the last 3 years he's stayed healthy and very productive. It will be interesting to see what type of deal he gets this winter. He's got the resume but he is getting old. His BB/K rate has fell steadily in recent years which may be a cause for concern:

589_OF_season_mini_5_20130930.png

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#39 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Red Sox just tied the game on a grand slam by Ortiz in the bottom of the 8th, 2 outs, against Benoit who was brought on for a 4-out save. Unbelievable.

Edit: Sox win on a walk-off single by Salty. What a collapse by Detroit.

Edited by nmigliore, 13 October 2013 - 10:49 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#40 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'm impressed by how productive Beltran has been even as he has entered the typical decline years. Sure he may fall off a cliff suddenly but the last 3 years he's stayed healthy and very productive. It will be interesting to see what type of deal he gets this winter. He's got the resume but he is getting old. His BB/K rate has fell steadily in recent years which may be a cause for concern:

589_OF_season_mini_5_20130930.png

Pointed out the BB/K rate decline in my post...does make one wonder if the end is coming more quickly than it would appear otherwise.  I think St. Louis is a perfect place for him at this point in his career...even if he falters, they'd appreciate him as a part-time, reasonably-productive part-timer. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users