51 replies to this topic

#1 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Idk about you guys but i don't like the hybrid rule. I just saw this was approved from Bleacher Report on my phone, but i dont see the article on the desktop website

Heres the link from nhl.com http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt, 30 September 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#2 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Same, just saw it on BR, so it's as good as unconfirmed. Edit: NHL app just confirmed.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 30 September 2013 - 04:51 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#3 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

its on the side bar at Fire and Ice

#4 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Same, just saw it on BR, so it's as good as unconfirmed. Edit: NHL app just confirmed.

That's why I came to the site just now. That NHL app is awful. They give you the little blurb, then you click it and go to the home page instead of the actual article the blurb was about. Where's the damn article? So instead, I come here and find out the news, lol.

#5 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,153 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

I think the rule is meh. I'm just sick and tired of the NHL always changing something.

#6 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Watch for an increased number of goalie and D mis-communications resulting in goals. Bryce said he was against it at the BBQ as was Lou. Oh well. I would have lost a bunch of money betting on it being voted down by the PA.

#7 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

I think the rule is meh. I'm just sick and tired of the NHL always changing something.

same here........let them play the game as is for a few seasons

#8 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

more braindead lunacy from a league run by the braindead. All this does is break up the flow of the game.Too many controversial judgement calls. This kills loose puck battles. Barely anybody gets injured in these situations anyway. It's hardly an epidemic.

Edited by '7', 30 September 2013 - 06:33 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

there are two judgments required for "icing the puck". The Linesman must first determine that the puck will cross the goal line. Once the Linesman determines that the puck will cross the goal line, icing is completed upon the determination as to which player (attacking or defending) would first touch the puck.

Ugh, so much easier to have kept the same rule regarding who actually touched the puck after it crossed the line & to have just painted an actual line on the ice !

and that same line could've been painted  straight across the faceoff dot, and then also been used to make sure players  are on-side for each faceoff...

#10 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,324 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Oh fvck this. Seriously. I NEVER thought they'd approve such a stupid rule, but its' the NHL so...
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#11 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Wow talk about slowing down the game....hate it.

#12 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

I guess the thought process is that if this new icing prevents even one of these types of situations:

it's worth it.  It'll definitely lead to some controversial situations though.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 30 September 2013 - 10:32 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#13 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

How is anyone complaining about this? This is what the teams and players want. It is a protection issue as the video above shows the dangers of it.

It's a non issue as far as flow. Just different at first.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#14 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Aside from all the confusion it will initially cause, it allows the D to plaster the forwards for a change,wait to a top 6 is lost.

#15 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

How is anyone complaining about this? This is what the teams and players want. It is a protection issue as the video above shows the dangers of it.

Agreed, I'm surprised to see people so up in arms about this.  They were using it throughout preseason and it had no effect on the speed or flow of the game.  I am a little concerned with how quickly the linesmen have to make the judgment call though, maybe no-touch icing would be better as long as they could wave it off when the forward is clearly going to be the first to the puck.

Edited by devilsfan26, 01 October 2013 - 10:31 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#16 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

I dont understand why people are complaining about this either.  :blink: 

Posted Image

#17 leeski

leeski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

Except in the above video, had hybrid-icing been a rule, it would not have been invoked. The referee only blows his whistle when he can clearly determine that the defending player would reach the puck first. When the referee is unable to clearly determine, like in the situation above where both players were separated by mere inches, the play is not blown dead. The result is the invocation of the rule when the likelihood of a collision is incredibly miniscule, because both players are far apart, and no invocation of the rule when the likelihood of a collision and subsequent injury are greatest, because both players are indeterminately tied. Thus, using the above video as a visual impetus to launch a campaign for hybrid icing is, at least to me, inaccurately and illogically foolish.

#18 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:37 AM

I'm not complaining about the purpose of the rule, just the "imaginary line" part of it, which makes it a double-judgement call instead of an absolute call of who touched it after the actual line.

#19 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

I don't see any benefit from this. Like leeski said, dangerous plays like the Pitkanen video above would play out the exact same way since the players would be close enough that the refs would opt to allow the footrace rather than blow it dead.

Am I missing something?

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 01 October 2013 - 06:14 AM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#20 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

Anytime you give more power or influence to the referee the worse it is, it upsets me that they're changing a rule when injuries caused by races for the puck were hardly an epidemic.
25smul5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users