179 replies to this topic

#41 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Adam Oates knows Urbom and his upside and potential.  No brainer.  He was exposed and they just picked up a prospect for free.

#42 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

I still think they should have put Harrold through waivers instead. They clearly did not want to lose Urbom.

At the same time, Gelinas is going to be in Urbom's position next year. As long as we've got the veterans + Larsson + Fayne, the Devils will be doing this for the next few years anyway. Urbom probably isn't even as good as Gelinas or Merrill anyway.

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,900 posts

Unfair seeing how Urbom wasnt even twenty at the time

This is one of those things that won't make or break your future but it's irritating that Urbom is a causality of Sal and Volch. It's also interesting to note that the only "defensive defensemen" left in the system are Helgeson and Santini

Urbom is likely not better than either guy, though.  And indeed, Urbom was 21 when in 2011-12, Matt Taormina was given 30 (!) games in the NHL, whereas Urbom received only 5 - Taormina had beat him out on the depth chart.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think this came down to not being able to move Volchenkov, and not wanting to move Salvador.

Fayne was moveable, and he's not playing for this head coach so might as well have moved him.  But hey we can watch Urbom walk now and Fayne walk this offseason.  It would be kind of hilarious Oates of all people (someone who actually saw Urbom play) was the one to claim him if they weren't a division rival now.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#45 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Urbom was never going to be worth much once he was waiver-eligible and couldn't consistently crack the Devils' lineup, and with guys coming up behind him who have more potential and who seem like better players, he was likely to be squeezed out eventually.  As Lou said, if guys force him to make room, he will - he would've dumped Fayne if he thought Urbom could do that job, but I don't believe that Urbom could.  The real issue here is the waste of Josefson's ELC when he was 19 - if Josefson isn't waiver-eligible, the Devils could send him down, IR Tedenby, and at least float Urbom along for a bit.

Who have the Devils lost on waivers that's any good?  I mean - ever?  Am I blanking on someone?

DJ:  DeBoer doesn't have control over the roster.

I was not only referring to other guys we lost on waivers. Just an accumulation of all players in the last few years "we wanted to keep" but lost for nothing for wtv reasons (out of our hands or not, we're not gonna start a debate on this again) but yeah... Not the best business model to keep on losing assets for nothing and have to replace them from scratch. Thats my point

www.SterioDesign.com

#46 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

Don't be dramatic. With the glut of young defensemen knocking on the door, it's not a terrible loss. I say that as a fan of Urbom. I was hoping he'd make the jump this year, but it just didn't happen.

But... Who has to get traded? What dark cloud? Every team loses guys on waivers. It's just a way of hockey. It's unfortunate to lose him as I thought he had some potential and I much rather would have sent down Gio, but he wasn't going to play here.

Again, good player, sorry to see him go, but this reminds me of when Taormina left and every one lost their damn minds about it.

im refering to the dark cloud Lou admitted himself he created the Maclean year when Elias was on IR and someone had to get traded to fit under the cap and we were playing a player short... ridiculously bad roster management and Lou himself admitted it.

www.SterioDesign.com

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

I was not only referring to other guys we lost on waivers. Just an accumulation of all players in the last few years "we wanted to keep" but lost for nothing for wtv reasons (out of our hands or not, we're not gonna start a debate on this again) but yeah... Not the best business model to keep on losing assets for nothing and have to replace them from scratch. Thats my point

Your point is all over the place.  The Devils haven't lost free agents because they have too many players.  Urbom is a small asset at this point - I mean, it'd be nice to have him in the minors, but he's clearly been beat out by other guys.  

#48 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,709 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

#Caps have claimed defenseman Alexander Urbom off waivers from the New Jersey Devils.

fvcking awesome. and here we may have lost another potential good player for fvck all with bad management. Keep it going Lou

Holy overreaction Batman. My God, calm down.

I think this came down to not being able to move Volchenkov, and not wanting to move Salvador.

The Devils couldn't move Salvador even if they wanted to, he's got an awful contract.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#49 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,472 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

The Devils haven't had any great losses to waivers.  I don't think Urbom is one either. 

There's always a first - and tossing away a prospect on the cusp is never fun. 

I also don't think the "Great! Lost him for NOTHING!" tantrum really has any teeth.  If the team could have gotten something for him, they would have.  

I'm here for the party

#50 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

I like Urbom as much as anyone (native pride and all) but holy smoke are there some kneejerk reactions to be seen in social media over this. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#51 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,148 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Just a real shame, especially when you consider overpaid bums in the form of Salvador and Volch are still with the team. Oh well. Best of luck to him, hope he gets to play

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

I like Urbom as much as anyone (native pride and all) but holy smoke are there some kneejerk reactions to be seen in social media over this. 

I think the issue is that Urbom was once NJ's best prospect.  Then Larsson came along and he was 2nd or 3rd best.  Now according to Pronman he was 6th best and to me a lot of that rests on his having been the #1 prospect in 2010.  He certainly developed no offense to his pro game which makes it tough to be any good.

#53 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,148 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Should've waived gionta.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#54 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Was pissed at first but when you think that maybe Fayne stays now and we have Merril, Gelinas, Severson, Hegelson and Santini (Scarlett too)in the mix, its not too bad. In fact thatcould be a pretty good top 6 in several years.

Edited by John Wensink, 03 October 2013 - 01:56 PM.

"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#55 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Should've waived gionta.

This has absolutely zero to do with Gionta, they were not keeping eight defensemen again - Lou admitted as much.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#56 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

Eh you win some you lose some.  We won on other teams waivers we are bound to lose our own.  LIfe goes on. 

#57 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Couldn't we have at least tried to trade him and get a return? Probably would have landed a 4th or something. Maybe package him in with something.

#58 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Couldn't we have at least tried to trade him and get a return? Probably would have landed a 4th or something. Maybe package him in with something.

But whoever traded for him would have either had to have a spot open on their NHL roster to keep him there or would have traded that pick just for the chance that Urbom makes it through waivers for them. Not exactly the best deal.

#59 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,148 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Should've waived gionta.

This has absolutely zero to do with Gionta, they were not keeping eight defensemen again - Lou admitted as much.

This is true, but it could've been just another temporary maneuver while Lou attempted to do something about the D situation.

believe-ll.jpg

#60 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Your point is all over the place.  The Devils haven't lost free agents because they have too many players.  Urbom is a small asset at this point - I mean, it'd be nice to have him in the minors, but he's clearly been beat out by other guys.  

Mmm? never said we lost FA because we had too many players? that doesnt really make sense.

My whole point is that Lou has a tendencies to do things with a risky "make or break" mentality (not giving up the 29th pick is another example) and when it breaks, we're left with nothing. Which if you look case by case is no big deal really. But if you look at it as a whole you see that you may be losing lots of opportunities for fvck all. It's not really about WHO we lost it's more about the what we could have got.

I guess a good example would be MTL, I hate them but they are starting to be relevant and their drafting has been a lot better lately cause they have been getting at least a little something for players they lost. Either through trades, rights etc etc but they stacked a LOT of picks and they can take chances and if you look into it some moves they made got them gems in later rounds like Gallagher and they have a great forwards group built with a bunch of 2nd round picks they got. Obviously they've been in a position to trade guys at the deadline more than us lately.

Last year they got Fucale (who could be a #1 goalie or an excellent backup) and Jacob de la Rose (who i really like too) with extra picks they got for moving players. (of course that's just an example of one situation through the league) but if mtl would have lost or let those guys walk and get claim off waivers cause they we're not in their plans anymore. Well thats 2 young players they would have never got.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users