• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Lou is a genius!!!
:boogie:

oh yea superrrr
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#162 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Urbom was highly touted at one point.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#163 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

i think he's a devils type defender and will work great for us in a year or two, send him down let him learn. washington missed out.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#164 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

i think he's a devils type defender and will work great for us in a year or two, send him down let him learn. washington missed out.

Hoping for the best, but I don't see him being more than a 3rd pairing/7th d guy. He got passed by Merrill and Gelly this offseason despite having more experience and no minor league option. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#165 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Lou has gone off the reservation.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#166 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

I am confused on why people keep saying he got passed by Merrill and Gelinas on the depth chart. I am pretty sure neither of them were on the team to start the season and were only called up after Urbom was claimed and the D had various injuries.

Edited by hystyk28, 09 January 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#167 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

I am confused on why people keep saying he got passed by Merrill and Gelinas on the depth chart. I am pretty sure neither of them were on the team to start the season and were only called up after Urbom was claimed and the D had various injuries.

Compare their seasons. It's really quite obvious.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#168 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Compare their seasons. It's really quite obvious.

First of all this makes no sense. You can't pass someone on the depth chart if they aren't in the organization. No one knows if Urbom wouldn't have been called up before Merrill. Oh, and if you look at stats, Urbom has as many points as Merrill in 2 less games and and is a plus player, Jon is a minus 7. Obviously, Merrill is waaaaayyyyy better.

#169 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

First of all this makes no sense. You can't pass someone on the depth chart if they aren't in the organization. No one knows if Urbom wouldn't have been called up before Merrill. Oh, and if you look at stats, Urbom has as many points as Merrill in 2 less games and and is a plus player, Jon is a minus 7. Obviously, Merrill is waaaaayyyyy better.

Yeah, he is waaay better:

http://www.behindthe...33 34 45 46 63#

http://www.behindthe...33 34 45 46 63#

Urbom's getting pushed back horribly.  Merrill is holding his own.  +/- is stupid.

Edited by Triumph, 09 January 2014 - 11:09 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#170 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Urbom wasn't going to be on the team to start the season just like Merrill and Gelinas. He was either going to get claimed or get sent to Albany. Gelinas has been in the organization for years so the Devils knew what they had in him. Merrill was in the organization last March so it's not like he was some unkown to the Devils. The only reason Urbom got an extended look in camp is because he was waiver elgibile. Merrill and Gelinas clearly jumped him on the depth chart.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#171 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

If Urbom reaches his potential, he'll be another Gelinas for the most part.  Urbom still has the potential to be a good defensemen in this league.  He needs a lot of polishing though,

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#172 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

If Urbom reaches his potential, he'll be another Gelinas for the most part. Urbom still has the potential to be a good defensemen in this league. He needs a lot of polishing though,

Not sure I agree with that comparison. I see a more physical version of Andy Greene. He states too well for his size not to find a place on some team. It may take another season, maybe 2, but I believe he is a second pairing player.

#173 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

If Urbom reaches his potential, he'll be another Gelinas for the most part.  Urbom still has the potential to be a good defensemen in this league.  He needs a lot of polishing though,

I think Urbom can be serviceable from the little I have seen from him, but I think Gelinas will clearly be a better player.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#174 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

http://www.extraskat...layers=910,1209

The depth chart is just a chart to map out the pecking order and who is better than who. You can do a depth chart with every player in the NHL. Merrill is clearly better than Urbom and whether or not they were on the same team for the past 20 games is unimportant. 

They are nothing alike. Unless 'for the most part' means "Gelinas with a much lesser shot". 

believe2.jpg

#175 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

http://www.extraskat...layers=910,1209

The depth chart is just a chart to map out the pecking order and who is better than who. You can do a depth chart with every player in the NHL. Merrill is clearly better than Urbom and whether or not they were on the same team for the past 20 games is unimportant. 

They are nothing alike. Unless 'for the most part' means "Gelinas with a much lesser shot". 

Urbom has a good shot from what I've read about him.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#176 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Urbom has a good shot from what I've read about him.

It's average. And he doesn't shoot a lot - 59 SOG in 68 games last year, Gelinas had 137 in 57. Gelinas has always averaged more than 2 shots per game, Urbom has averaged less than 1 (last year), 1 (two years ago) and 1.4 (three years ago, assume he got PP time, which he won't get in NJ...ever).

They're not similar unless you take out the best ability of the better player.

believe2.jpg

#177 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Not sure I agree with that comparison. I see a more physical version of Andy Greene. He states too well for his size not to find a place on some team. It may take another season, maybe 2, but I believe he is a second pairing player.

Skating and size are great combinations.  The problem with Urbom - and I watched a decent amount of him with the Caps - is that his decision-making is poor.  If you can skate and you're big great, but if your decisions don't move at NHL speed, you won't be an NHL player.  It's not really a problem worth correcting at the NHL level, either, because the Devils have plenty of defensemen who are better now and have more potential.

As for Urbom's shot, it IS pretty good - he absolutely hammered in one of his goals this year - but plenty of guys like that have hard shots.  He's not going to be able to use it very often though.

Edited by Triumph, 09 January 2014 - 12:35 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#178 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

The Devils donot have enough scoring so this is a genius move!!

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#179 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Classic Lou move. He just can't resist picking up ex-devils. It's like his crack-cocaine.
Posted Image

#180 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Classic Lou move. He just can't resist picking up ex-devils. It's like his crack-cocaine.

And Rafalski is attempting a come-back now. You just know Lou will be intrigued lol.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users