3 replies to this topic

#1 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,543 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

MC79hockey did an in-depth look at NJ's bizarre territorial results from last year:

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6327

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

This quote from the article sums it all up, really:

"The downside that the Devils had is that they couldn’t score goals or make saves so all the Corsi% in the world didn’t get them over the line for the playoffs."

And as he notes, at the very least, having Schneider will help with one half of the equation.  Can't see the Devils putting up an aggragate .897 save% again. 

We won't know for a while about the other half...these guys are going to need some time.  I won't jump to any conclusions if they struggle to score OR somehow come flying out of the gate and pop in 3+ per game.  Gotta see how this works out, and if the older guys can stay healthy.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 October 2013 - 12:07 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

People in the comments mentioned DeBoer's coaching style as an explanation.  Does anyone know whether his Panther teams had unusually high puck possession as compared to wins and goals scored?

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,543 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Florida results from 2008-09 to 2010-11:

48.7% goals percentage, 46.7% shots percentage, 47.1% Fenwick percentage.  So, no.  And again, we don't see this last year until the Devils got Ponikarovsky, Josefson got healthy, NJ got Zidlicky, etc.  I think personnel is the major reason and it's why I think they're going to be darn good again this year in that department.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users