88 replies to this topic

#1 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Playing in NY, its so great..so different...everything is better in NY...I can run through walls..

HEY DIPsh!t YOU PLAY IN NJ

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#2 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

It's all about marketing.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#3 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,324 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Playing in NY, its so great..so different...everything is better in NY...I can run through walls..

I yelled the same thing at my TV. That fvckstick in the commercial probably lives somewhere in Essex County too and never sets foot in NY. fvcking phony.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

I can't stand that commercial for the same reason and I actually like watching Dax McCarty as a player. The whole quote seems so forced and cliche. As Mike Brown said, it's all about marketing.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yeah, it's all about marketing, unfortunately. Believe it or not, Red Bulls has a good presence throughout the country, not too different from the Rangers. Anyone from NY who's away on business or moved elsewhere, you'll see (and hear) a lot of them at these games out West, in LA, Portland, Seattle, etc... Keeping that "NY" image is pretty important, unfortunately for us New Jersey folk. This is why I love and respect the Devils even more than I did before the Nets left. They're all we got and they're really proud of this state..

#6 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

Until that Yankees/Man City owned team comes into existence, they SHOULD market as NY's team. They're marketing to the whole tri state market, not just mainly to NJ like the Devils are which allows them to use Jersey's Team

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#7 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

Not to mention, as someone who goes to a lot of games, I see a ton of people taking the PATH in from New York. A lot of Brooklynites and people from Manhattan go to Red Bulls games. The Devils came into the league under very different circumstances in 1982, surrounded by local rival markets; being "Jersey's team" would inevitably be a no-brainer for them.

But I think for RBNY's survival, they have to be "New York's team". MLS itself is an emerging league, so they need to really engage all the mega markets as much as they can.

#8 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

I yelled the same thing at my TV. That fvckstick in the commercial probably lives somewhere in Essex County too and never sets foot in NY. fvcking phony.

+1

The Red Bulls have always been dead to me because of their fake NY image.

It's too bad the Cosmos didn't join the MLS. Maybe that would've cut into the Red Bulls NY fan appeal.

Edited by 95Crash, 03 October 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#9 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

I love the line when he says he feels like he can run through walls....Go ahead and let us know how that works out for ya'!

I hate that Fn commercial.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

#10 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

I also hate that commercial for the same reason.. Makes me not want to support them anymore if they can't even acknowledge where they play.. I mean most if their fans come from the Ironbound right?

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#11 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

+1

The Red Bulls have always been dead to me because of their fake NY image.

It's too bad the Cosmos didn't join the MLS. Maybe that would've cut into the Red Bulls NY fan appeal.

My dad coached my younger brother's soccer teams for years...from when he was 7 years old, up until he started high school.  My dad got the job last-second...the original coach quit, someone asked my dad if he could step in, and he said he would.  He then ran out to Efinger's (a sporting goods store in Bound Brook) and bought a rulebook, because he didn't know anything about soccer.  His first team went 0-10, but that was the only losing record he had in his coaching career. 

My bro was a center halfback before moving to sweeper.  He made the state team a number of times (my dad coached those teams too...after that first rough year, he did a terrific job)...this is going back to the late-70s to mid-80s. 

We had season tix for the original Cosmos for a few years...they had a hell of a team for a while...from 1976-83 they actually averaged well over 2 GPG (almost 3 GPG some seasons), which is kind of unheard of in soccer.  They drew well too...from 1978-80, they averaged well over 40,000 fans, and that was AFTER Pele had left the team (he played for them from 1975-77).  Giorgio Chinalgia's signing helped greatly...he was one of the few overseas players to play in the NASL while still firmly in his prime.  We saw him score seven goals in a single game (he did that twice in his NASL career).

The tailgate parties were great...soccer back then felt just as important (to us, anyway) as the other major sports.  Attendance dropped off rapidly after 1980 (from over 42,000 to just over 12,000 in 1984). 

Yeah, would've been interesting for sure if the Cosmos had joined MLS...it's been almost 30 years since their last season (before joining the new NASL, anyway).  The new NASL has actually resurrected some of the original teams' locations AND nicknames.  But the Cosmos still have some nostalgia among some for sure...the Cosmos fans were really into it back in the day. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 October 2013 - 08:04 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#12 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

I also hate that commercial for the same reason.. Makes me not want to support them anymore if they can't even acknowledge where they play.. I mean most if their fans come from the Ironbound right?

Colin!  What's up dude?!

You should probably ask DatboyJPP since he works for the Red Bulls.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#13 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

Eh, their tie to New York has always felt forced but it has come with the benefits of attracting DPs & frankly Red Bull's money.

To me its going to be interesting how/if they change their tune when the Manchester/Yankees team arrives

#14 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Whaaatever, they need the NY brand to survive.  Just wish they wouldn't advertise on MSG+ in such a way.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#15 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Red Bulls blow.  Eff them.

#16 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Red Bulls blow.  Eff them.

They look to be pretty good to me

http://www.mlssoccer.com/standings

I also kinda miss the rock-climbing gate open chick.  She was good luck for us.

Edited by DevsMan84, 04 October 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#17 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

I mean most if their fans come from the Ironbound right?

Highly doubt it.. I'd say that's about 10% of the fanbase, while another 70% is made up mostly of suburban NY and NJ families. Last 20% being 18-30 year olds from the local area (including NYC/Brooklyn).

#18 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

lol this is kinda funny.  I've been a RedBulls season ticket holder for a very long time.  I've followed and supported this team since 96 when we were the Metrostars.  So if you're saying that the "NY Brand" is an appeal, think again.  It's that piece of sh!t energy drink brand that does the opposite, it drives people away.  It's a corporate shill.  I absolutely HATE the fact that we are owned by Red Bull.  

Posted Image Posted Image

#19 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Just saw the Tim Cahill Red Bulls commercial. "Now I play in the world's greatest city."...I never knew Harrison, New Jersey was the world's greatest city.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#20 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Just saw the Tim Cahill Red Bulls commercial. "Now I play in the world's greatest city."...I never knew Harrison, New Jersey was the world's greatest city.

isnt that false advertisement ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users