173 replies to this topic

#121 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Awesome to see Brunner get rewarded two times tonight. 12 shots in 2 games with 2 goals. Also, nice to see Ryder get his 1st under his belt.

Larsson didn't have a good game again and DeBoer cut his ice time a lot in the 2nd and 3rd. Don't think too much of it though, he's a work in progress and they have a couple of days off now so the other D could pick it up.

Scary to watch Grabner on the ice. When he was out against Zidlicky I was getting nervous. Zidlicky still irks me to no end.

Larsson was beyond awful tonight.  It wouldn't shock me at all if he was scratched for Fayne and I wouldn't even care at this point.  He was so bad tonight I'm starting to think we should just deal him like the Browns did with Trent Richardson before the league realizes he stinks.  I honestly think if you had a skating contest between Larsson and our geriatric forwards, the geriatric forwards would blow by him.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#122 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

I would be supremely dissapointed if Larsson busts b/c of Stevens. If Sal can be serviceable, they can give Larsson softer minutes.

Dwayne needs to be in for someone because he can clearly handle tough minutes.

The problem with young defensemen is that unless you're extremely lucky, you have to let them suck.   And we haven't been willing to do that.   You learn through sucking.    If you give a guy 320 over 4 seasons and he's still making the same mistakes, then maybe you can start to think they suck because they suck.   But not the way they use Larsson.

#123 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

I don't think he's a good position coach.   Sometimes guys can translate it (Robinson is a great position coach), sometimes they can't.   And there's part of his game that is just untranslateable.    You can't make a guy like Adam Larsson a raging psycho.    And the guys that are offensive oriented or tweeners seem to take the brunt of it when they have a stay at home that is absolutely dreadful.

I think the difference between Stevens and Larry is that Larry's terrific with younger defensemen while Stevens just isn't.  You see that with Larsson and Fayne, Larsson's best hockey was his first season and he's gone downhill since.  Same with Fayne, he's gone from a top-pairing defenseman on a Finals team to a healthy scratch while Cheech (Larsson) and Chong (Zidlicky) screw up all over the place.  But at least Zidlicky will eventually play his way out of it to being non-awful.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#124 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Larsson was beyond awful tonight.  It wouldn't shock me at all if he was scratched for Fayne and I wouldn't even care at this point.  He was so bad tonight I'm starting to think we should just deal him like the Browns did with Trent Richardson before the league realizes he stinks.  I honestly think if you had a skating contest between Larsson and our geriatric forwards, the geriatric forwards would blow by him.

This is case in point what I'm talking about.   If you aren't going to let him learn, then yes, you should trade him and then never draft a defenseman high ever again.

#125 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Overall, I liked the way the team played.  I thought Jagr was brutal.  I thought Marty should have stopped all 3 of those goals he gave up.  Pete, put Fayne in next game!  Please!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#126 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think the difference between Stevens and Larry is that Larry's terrific with younger defensemen while Stevens just isn't.  You see that with Larsson and Fayne, Larsson's best hockey was his first season and he's gone downhill since.  Same with Fayne, he's gone from a top-pairing defenseman on a Finals team to a healthy scratch while Cheech (Larsson) and Chong (Zidlicky) screw up all over the place.  But at least Zidlicky will eventually play his way out of it to being non-awful.

But the coach is also part of the teaching process.   This is stuff that has to be worked through.   And Zidlicky's game is hardly a mystery, he's a winger masquerading as a defenseman, which has its pluses and minuses.   If Larsson isn't going to get icetime and freaking Volchenkov is, there's something wrong at an organizational level.

#127 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

But the coach is also part of the teaching process.   This is stuff that has to be worked through.   And Zidlicky's game is hardly a mystery, he's a winger masquerading as a defenseman, which has its pluses and minuses.   If Larsson isn't going to get icetime and freaking Volchenkov is, there's something wrong at an organizational level.

Volchenkov actually has been non-terrible since the first period in Pittsburgh though.

#128 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

Henrique and Zajac were invisible again.  We can't have that.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#129 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Volchenkov actually has been non-terrible since the first period in Pittsburgh though.

No, he's been horrible as usual, getting caught up ice and being flatfooted and lost.   Grabner's second goal happened because he got caught flatfooted too far up and was so out of it he couldn't even take a penalty.   He blows.   He's serviceable on the PK but when the game opens up even a smidge.... watch out.

#130 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Henrique and Zajac were invisible again.  We can't have that.

They were +'s.    They can get 45-50 points and be pluses to their heart's content.  Zajac also won the draw that led to the Ryder goal.   They were also on that first PP that looked good.

#131 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Season double over. See you guys in 2 years.

Posted Image

#132 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Volchenkov and Salvador should never be on the ice at the same time.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#133 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

No, he's been horrible as usual, getting caught up ice and being flatfooted and lost.   Grabner's second goal happened because he got caught flatfooted too far up and was so out of it he couldn't even take a penalty.   He blows.   He's serviceable on the PK but when the game opens up even a smidge.... watch out.

A lot of guys have been getting caught up the ice.  Even Greene was caught up the ice on one of the Grabner breakaways when Pete started putting him and Harrold on the same pairing.

#134 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

A lot of guys have been getting caught up the ice.  Even Greene was caught up the ice on one of the Grabner breakaways when Pete started putting him and Harrold on the same pairing.

The positioning is all around bad, but the guys who can't cover ground have to know better.   He doesn't get it, it's not even like he's chasing hits alot of the time.   He's just way too aggressive for his speed and skill level.

#135 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Here's the deal, Zajac, Elias and Henrique need to start stepping up their play - plain and simple. It's early but if this keeps up, the Devils aren't going to have a playoff run of any realistic length. I know there has been a lot of criticism of Lou, but without his offseason moves, I think the Devils are in big trouble right now. It's weird to see a bunch of "castaways" leading the Devils while the core is simply treading water. Obviously it's only two games, but I'm going to be watching those three key veterans to see what they bring to the table going forward.That's $15,250,000 in salary cap tied up with Zajac, Elias and Henrique - for multiple years. The cap is going to go up, but I really hope the level of contribution from the aforementioned three goes up as well.

#136 Rogan The Goat

Rogan The Goat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Why don't the Devils convert Zidlicky to a forward? Every time I see the damn guy he's deeking around and sh1t and skating into the offensive zone, why not make him a forward? I don't like his defensive ability but man can he shoot.

Brunner was amazing, god he's so fast.

Ryder was great, beautiful snipe on Nebby.

Larsson pissed me off, Volchenkov did at points and so did Harrold and Sal. Greene was once again the best D man on the ice.

I was in section 215 and we had a sh1t ton of obnoxious Islander fans. They were tormenting this couple of two in front of us and a fight broke out, beers flying etc. Now this is what I saw and I was a fair distance from the so I'm not exactly sure who started it but the Devils fans were trying to stay out of it but the Islander fans kept bringing them in. Security came and had to babysit them. One Islander fan got a teeshirt from the Devil and gave it to the Devils fan behind him, real class.

Just some of my thoughts/experiences, my first time ever driving up there myself with my buddy (I'm 17), many more to come.

#137 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

fun game.. got to see some goals.. my rag friend i brought jumped when the devils scored so that's a plus.. should of won this one. i will give them 15 more till i start complaining. lovin brunner though!

#138 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

Random thoughts from watching the game in-person tonight:

Loved Brunner's game. Clowe does a lot of good things that don't show up in the stat sheet. Marty let in some softies but then made some huge, damn near impossible saves so it kinda balance out. Salvador, as much as I do not like him, had a very good game. Still don't get why Gio plays at all, nevermind gets time on the PK. Would much rather see Olesz or YaYo getting a shot. Volchenkov was hot garbage tonight, but I have no doubt he'll stay in while Larsson will sit. Clearly Larsson just has to anticipate Volch's mistakes so he can get back in time. Fayne needs to play ASAP. Hopefully this 5-game Canada trip will bring the team together and we'll see a more comfortable, polished team when they get back.

believe-devs.jpg

#139 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

Urbom> Larsson

#140 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Urbom> Larsson

No, Larsson outplayed him badly at the AHL level.   Probably because it was the first time in his NA career where he could go out and play and not have to worry about being hooked for a month

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users