290 replies to this topic

#201 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

the perils of the forechecking system.   when you get a lead and have to play some D.   The Deboer tenure has had a ton of blown large leads, you can even go back to the Panthers and Rangers series and see them.   They just have an uncanny ability to salvage something out of these games.

Most of them also involve horrendous goaltending, also a staple of the DeBoer era.  I don't think the forechecking system really has anything to do with blown leads.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#202 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

Brodeur is embarrassing himself, the franchise, the fans, and me personally.
I'm really excited to watch this for the rest of the season.
I'll pay everyone in this room $20 if the Devils make the playoffs.

Oh shut the fvck up. Brodeur is an embarrassment to the franchise? The dude is in his 40's. He sucked tonight. He may suck all season. But he's an embarrassment to the franchise? Are you 12?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#203 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

Most of them also involve horrendous goaltending, also a staple of the DeBoer era.  I don't think the forechecking system really has anything to do with blown leads.

You also don't think the quality they give up is that much when guys keep coming in all alone in some fashion.   I'm not saying he's good anymore but they do not help their goalies at all.   They managed to play their blood from a stone game in the second half of 10-11 with Marty and Moose and win low scoring games.

#204 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

Haha. Big z only posts when the devils lose or play bad. Stfu your an embarrassment to us devils fans.. Harrold out fayne IN. not all the goals were Marty but he should be the back up. He'll be the best back up in the league but at starter he can't take pressure as much. He'll make a great save then give up the easy goal.

Edited by CarterforPresident, 08 October 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#205 volchenkov28

volchenkov28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

People are really overreacting with Marty it isn't all his fault this game a lot of it is on the D. They are slow getting back. They are decent keeping the puck in the O-zone. They are just to sloppy in their own zone

#206 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

You also don't think the quality they give up is that much when guys keep coming in all alone in some fashion.   I'm not saying he's good anymore but they do not help their goalies at all.   They managed to play their blood from a stone game in the second half of 10-11 with Marty and Moose and win low scoring games.

And in 11-12, when they went to the Stanley Cup Finals.  Obviously the Devils' defense has to tighten things up here, but he's not good anymore.  And they do help the goalie by keeping dangerous shots like Andrew Ference's from being taken.  People can piss and moan about how shot quality exists blah blah blah, but it's not like Brodeur's been the greatest at stopping long shots either.

#207 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

People are really overreacting with Marty it isn't all his fault this game a lot of it is on the D. They are slow getting back. They are decent keeping the puck in the O-zone. They are just to sloppy in their own zone

Hell, I don't want him playing more than 25-30 games and I realize that.   The first time it happens with Schneider in net (and it will), maybe people will realize that they can't play D back on their heels.   You have to accept it because they do own the offensive zone most of the time, and like two years ago they at least salvaged points out of it, but it's fvcking ugly when it happens.

#208 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

And in 11-12, when they went to the Stanley Cup Finals.  Obviously the Devils' defense has to tighten things up here, but he's not good anymore.  And they do help the goalie by keeping dangerous shots like Andrew Ference's from being taken.  People can piss and moan about how shot quality exists blah blah blah, but it's not like Brodeur's been the greatest at stopping long shots either.

They won low scoring games in the playoffs?   A standard script was to score 2 or 3 early, blow it and then win the game late or in OT.   They were very resilient or fortunate, whether you're half full or half empty.    This will happen with Schneider in net too.   It may happen less, but when you give up as many huge honking open on the goalie chances as they do, you're giving up goals.   They easily could have had a similar goal bomb dropped on them in the 1st.

#209 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

They won low scoring games in the playoffs?   A standard script was to score 2 or 3 early, blow it and then win the game late or in OT.   They were very resilient or fortunate, whether you're half full or half empty.    This will happen with Schneider in net too.   It may happen less, but when you give up as many huge honking open on the goalie chances as they do, you're giving up goals.   They easily could have had a similar goal bomb dropped on them in the 1st.

It's foolish to suggest that this is anything besides random.  The Devils can only control scoring the first goal insofar as they outplay the other team by a particular margin.  They can only do the same with the 2nd goal likewise.  It was mostly randomness that had them up in those games by that much and randomness for how they blew those games as well. 

NJ isn't significantly below average in save percentage or shots allowed with a lead 5 on 5 under DeBoer.  It's an effect that exists in your head because it happened in significant games, but take last year - NJ held on a ton early on in the season, they weren't giving up anything.  It's just that gets forgotten.

They gave up 5 scoring chances in the 1st.  Sometimes you give up scoring chances - the Oilers got a few 2 on 1s, and yeah that's got to be tightened up a bit, but you give up scoring chances sometimes.

Edited by Triumph, 08 October 2013 - 12:31 AM.

#210 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

Bryce Salvador...26 mins. Yeah, that'll work. *sigh*

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#211 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

It's foolish to suggest that this is anything besides random.  The Devils can only control scoring the first goal insofar as they outplay the other team by a particular margin.  They can only do the same with the 2nd goal likewise.  It was mostly randomness that had them up in those games by that much and randomness for how they blew those games as well. 

NJ isn't significantly below average in save percentage or shots allowed with a lead 5 on 5 under DeBoer.  It's an effect that exists in your head because it happened in significant games, but take last year - NJ held on a ton early on in the season, they weren't giving up anything.  It's just that gets forgotten.

They gave up 5 scoring chances in the 1st.  Sometimes you give up scoring chances - the Oilers got a few 2 on 1s, and yeah that's got to be tightened up a bit, but you give up scoring chances sometimes.

Like I said I'm fine with the tradeoff, as long as they're scoring and they salvage.   It's just I don't expect it to stop because a better goalie plays more.   It may happen less, but I'm basically hoping he turns the 4 goal debacle into a 3 goal debacle and a 3 goal debacle into a 2 goal debacle.   They are just piss poor on their heels.   Keep in mind they did hang on and they didn't have the shot advantage early on last season... but they also didn't hold territory for any amount of time, which means you're not playing a whole lot of transition either.    The messes seem to start out of transition more often than not.

Edited by maxpower, 08 October 2013 - 12:40 AM.

#212 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

Well that was frustrating to watch but at least they got the loser point I suppose.

Nice to have natural goal scorers in Jagr and Ryder. Brunner has been great so far this year, really love his speed and ability to find the net. The PPG was set up nicely, hope to see more of that. Love having a big body like Clowe that can screen the goalie and have the skill to belong on the PP. Loved Salvador sticking up for Brodeur and Zidlicky too. Also like the skills Loktionov has shown so far, sure his defense isn't the best but he seems like a guy that could break out offensively this year.

Not going to get worked up over anything that happens in a shoot out but it was painful to watch Brodeur in it. Hope to see Fayne in tomorrow. I also hope that once Fayne gets in, he gets a consistent run of games. It's been awhile since he's played in a real game so I hope the coaches aren't overly critical of him if he makes a mistake as he shakes off some rust.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#213 nick17112

nick17112

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

Well it is 9am in the UK AND I AM KNACKERED. I was up at 2:15 am to make a cup of tea and watch. At 3-0 up I felt on top of the world. Right now I could cry. I really could. Same again tonight though for the Canucks game. Let's go Devils. I can feel a W
Zach Parise - Gone but not forgotten!!!!!

#214 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

Here's why I'm staying positive.  Each game, we're getting progressively better.  I think playing 3 highly skilled teams right out of the gate can only help the team going forward.

I'm not gonna get too upset over tonight's meltdown.  Besides the Taylor Hall goal, I can't really fault the Devils on the other 3.  You had a net mouth scramble on the first goal during a pk, a perfectly placed point shot on the 2nd goal, and a snipe job off a faceoff on the 3rd goal.  The Hall goal was the only goal due to a defensive breakdown.

But DeBoer better put in Josefson and Fayne soon.  Those two guys can really help on the defensive side of the puck.  I also think it's time for Olesz.  I haven't been too happy with the CBGB line.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#215 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

Nose joke or serious? Honest question lol

serious.

Jagr, Brunner and Ryder... Welcome new guys!

New players always come here and score a bunch, then we drain their skills away with defense .....

#216 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

Well it is 9am in the UK AND I AM KNACKERED. I was up at 2:15 am to make a cup of tea and watch. At 3-0 up I felt on top of the world. Right now I could cry. I really could.

Glad I didn't stay up until 7 a.m. (that's what it would take) to watch this crap. Man, 4 goals in the 3rd? Really?

I keep telling myself it's a matter of time before this new team gels and that this whole Canadian trip is a good opportunity for that and at some point during it they will really click and start playing good team-oriented hockey. Some good goaltending would help, too. Didn't think we'd have this kind of problems with this goaltending tandem. Hopefully Schneider gets a real boost from playing tonight in Vancouver.

#217 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

Glad I didn't stay up until 7 a.m. (that's what it would take) to watch this crap. Man, 4 goals in the 3rd? Really?

I keep telling myself it's a matter of time before this new team gels and that this whole Canadian trip is a good opportunity for that and at some point during it they will really click and start playing good team-oriented hockey. Some good goaltending would help, too. Didn't think we'd have this kind of problems with this goaltending tandem. Hopefully Schneider gets a real boost from playing tonight in Vancouver.

Yea but the 3 of the 4 goals were nobody's fault.  It was just perfect execution by the Oilers.  The 4th goal was inexcusable though.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#218 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

If this isn't enough to get Fayne in the lineup he'll probably be sitting all year, Volchenkov-Harrold is one of the most atrocious pairings i've ever seen on this team.
25smul5.png

#219 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

Could be worse? 0-1-2 is better than 0-3-0. Yay for math. Good to see the new guys contribute. Couldn't tell ya where Henrique and Zajac have been. Goooooootta beat the Canucks tomorrow..

#220 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

If this isn't enough to get Fayne in the lineup he'll probably be sitting all year, Volchenkov-Harrold is one of the most atrocious pairings i've ever seen on this team.

I predicted the Devils to have a top 10 defense this year.  But three things need to happen.

Greene would have to play like he can.

Fayne actually has to play, and if he does, play like he can.

Larsson had to have a breakout year.

So far, only one of those 3 has happened.  IMO, Greene, Fayne, and Larsson should be getting 20-25 minutes a game.  Salvador, Volchenkov, and Zidlicky should be getting no more than 15 minutes a game.  Zid and Volch are basically Special Teams guys at this point in their careers.  Volch is good on the pk, and Zid is good on the pp.

Could be worse? 0-1-2 is better than 0-3-0. Yay for math. Good to see the new guys contribute. Couldn't tell ya where Henrique and Zajac have been. Goooooootta beat the Canucks tomorrow..

Like I said, the team is getting better each game.  It's still only 3 games, and the team is beginning to gel.  The forwards need to be better in their own end.  Communication is key in that regard.  I'll officially start to worry if they're still losing 15 games into the season.  Vancouver doesn't have much forward depth, so I think this is a team we can take.  And their defense doesn't scare me.  Outside of Hamhuis, it's a pretty weak defense core.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users