#221 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

The Devils better NOT put me to bed in a bad mood after this Jet game :rant:

Thank goodness I taped the 3rd period and went to bed singing geno smith songs.  Im shocked this morning that we blew that game

#222 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

Well that was frustrating to watch but at least they got the loser point I suppose.

Nice to have natural goal scorers in Jagr and Ryder. Brunner has been great so far this year, really love his speed and ability to find the net. The PPG was set up nicely, hope to see more of that. Love having a big body like Clowe that can screen the goalie and have the skill to belong on the PP. Loved Salvador sticking up for Brodeur and Zidlicky too. Also like the skills Loktionov has shown so far, sure his defense isn't the best but he seems like a guy that could break out offensively this year.

Not going to get worked up over anything that happens in a shoot out but it was painful to watch Brodeur in it. Hope to see Fayne in tomorrow. I also hope that once Fayne gets in, he gets a consistent run of games. It's been awhile since he's played in a real game so I hope the coaches aren't overly critical of him if he makes a mistake as he shakes off some rust.

Agree on Brodeur...those shootout goals were painful...he just looked so slow on both of them. 

Though losing that 3-goal lead was excrutiating to watch, there are some positives here.  For one, the team is at least showing some ability to score.  The question of course becomes who scores when Brunner and Ryder don't?  Henrique and Zajac are going to have to put some in too...especially since the D doesn't figure to score many goals. 

Up until the end of the '11-'12 regular season, the Devils enjoyed a lot of success in shootouts...more than anyone else.  Obviously, there were teams at the other end of the spectrum who often couldn't get that extra point.  Due to the Devils being so damned good in shootouts, we all kind of came to take that extra point for granted.

Well, now we're finding out how the other half lives.  Clearly there's a randomness that goes into this event, but the fact is, we've seen over time that some shooters and goalies have a knack for success in it, while others don't.  Devils can spend all the time they want practicing it, but the days of them winning a lot of them are probably over for the time being.   

Re:  Fayne...it's a long season, and it's only going to be a matter of time before he gets his chance.  Hopefully when he inevitably DOES get it, it's a fair one. 

It's too early to go too crazy about the team's play to date, or to beat up on individual players (I maintain that this group needs time, and fans have to take the schedule into account), but my leash with Marty is short this year.  He seems to think he's supposed to get 50 or so games...I get why (it's all he knows, and the greats always have a problem distinguishing between what was and what is), but if Marty is struggling with a save% in the .880 range by mid-November and not looking good, then I'm sorry, I've got to give Schneider the majority of the playing time, even if Schneider isn't playing at his best by that time.  Marty won't like it, but the math is pretty simple:  one guy is 27, the other is 41.  If Scheider is hot and Marty not, it's pretty much a no-brainer.  If both are not, I can't expect a 41-year-old to pick it up...that's not a knock on Marty, that's just reality...so I'm going with the guy who's more likely to turn it around.  If Marty gets hot and Schneider is struggling (seems unlikely), sure, ride Marty a bit, but I don't see that happening. 

If this team is .500 or just a little bit below after 23 games, I think they did pretty well.  I'm not asking them to flourish right now...I'm asking them to tread water and not dig themselves too deep a hole.         

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#223 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

Thank goodness I taped the 3rd period and went to bed singing geno smith songs.  Im shocked this morning that we blew that game

Edmonton has a ton of skill.  I'm not surprised, but it's still pretty frustrating to watch.

If this team is .500 or just a little bit below after 23 games, I think they did pretty well.  I'm not asking them to flourish right now...I'm asking them to tread water and not dig themselves too deep a hole.         

Well the thing is, this team can't afford to have a bad season this year.  No first rounder puts an immense amount of pressure on Lou this year.  I was expecting a slow start this year because of all the new faces.  And thankfully we play in a weak division this year.  Other than Pittsburgh, the entire division is up for grabs.  I still don't think the Isles, Canes, Flyers, and BJ's are better than the Devils.  I think the Rangers, Devils, and Caps are all gonna be fighting for those 2, 3, and 4 spots.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#224 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

I have ben watching the games but not commenting re: Brodeur.

#225 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Marty seems to be thinking about his 5 hole too much. Maybe the new pads are getting to his head. Look at those two shoot out goals, after being scored 5 hole in the 3rd like 2 or 3 times, he over compensated. If he kept his block up instead of down to cover the 5 he would have made those two saves in the shootout.

Devils.

#226 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

I have ben watching the games but not commenting re: Brodeur.

Brodeur was very good tonight.  I can't fault any of the goals on him tonight.

Goal 1: Net mouth scramble on the pk, puck goes to RNH's stick for an easy tap in goal.

Goal 2: Perfect shot by Ferrence that looked like it hit a Devil's skate.

Goal 3: Perfect snipe by Perron right off a face-off.

Goal 4: Defensive breakdown and Hall with a sick move.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#227 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Well the thing is, this team can't afford to have a bad season this year.  No first rounder puts an immense amount of pressure on Lou this year.  I was expecting a slow start this year because of all the new faces.  And thankfully we play in a weak division this year.  Other than Pittsburgh, the entire division is up for grabs.  I still don't think the Isles, Canes, Flyers, and BJ's are better than the Devils.  I think the Rangers, Devils, and Caps are all gonna be fighting for those 2, 3, and 4 spots.

Read my post...I didn't say anything about a bad season being acceptable.  I said I expect a slow start.  Kind of makes sense, considering the number of new bodies in the lineup and the rough schedule. 

Can't really make a case for the Devils having an eye-friendly record through 23 games, but they CAN put themselves in a position to recover.  That's all I'm asking for.  Something along the lines of 9-9-5, 9-11-3...that leaves 59 games (with 8 more home games than road games) to get it going.  If the team makes the kind of progress I think they can, I think they'll be OK, re: a playoff spot.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#228 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

Read my post...I didn't say anything about a bad season being acceptable.  I said I expect a slow start.  Kind of makes sense, considering the number of new bodies in the lineup and the rough schedule. 

Can't really make a case for the Devils having an eye-friendly record through 23 games, but they CAN put themselves in a position to recover.  That's all I'm asking for.  Something along the lines of 9-9-5, 9-11-3...that leaves 59 games (with 8 more home games than road games) to get it going.  If the team makes the kind of progress I think they can, I think they'll be OK, re: a playoff spot.

I wasn't calling you out or anything.  I'm hoping by the 20th game or so they'd have a record over .500 though.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#229 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

well that was frustrating...

its been said but our guys are gonna have to step up, new guys comes in in a new system / new team etc and they score? no excuse for Zajac, Henrique etc etc those guys have to start putting it in.

I dont think Brodeur was that horrible though all around, the d let guys walk in with room to shoot all night long and he was solid for most of the night. How many times are we gonna see a pass from the blueline on the right side going to a guy wide open on the left side on our blueline wide open to step in and take a shot? we've seen it like 15 times in 3 games.

Another loss while the guys are gelling its fine... but im worried about them digging a hole they cant get out of like 3 years ago

www.SterioDesign.com

#230 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,074 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

I wasn't calling you out or anything.  I'm hoping by the 20th game or so they'd have a record over .500 though.

Have you seen the first twenty games of the season?  This is a nightmarish schedule until about Thanksgiving, they really can't afford to be blowing games like last night.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 08 October 2013 - 07:23 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#231 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Marty seems to be thinking about his 5 hole too much. Maybe the new pads are getting to his head. Look at those two shoot out goals, after being scored 5 hole in the 3rd like 2 or 3 times, he over compensated. If he kept his block up instead of down to cover the 5 he would have made those two saves in the shootout.

too be fair those moves were done perfectly, and they're not easy shots to stop, especially when you commit to the fake

#232 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

well that was frustrating...

its been said but our guys are gonna have to step up, new guys comes in in a new system / new team etc and they score? no excuse for Zajac, Henrique etc etc those guys have to start putting it in.

I dont think Brodeur was that horrible though all around, the d let guys walk in with room to shoot all night long and he was solid for most of the night. How many times are we gonna see a pass from the blueline on the right side going to a guy wide open on the left side on our blueline wide open to step in and take a shot? we've seen it like 15 times in 3 games.

Another loss while the guys are gelling its fine... but im worried about them digging a hole they cant get out of like 3 years ago

Like I said though, it's a weak division.  3 years ago, we had the entire conference to worry about.

Have you seen the first twenty games of the season?  This is a nightmarish schedule until about Thanksgiving, they really can't afford to be blowing games like last night.

True, but the easy games will come eventually.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#233 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,284 posts

I am too, but I'm being realistic.  That schedule is a real bitch...the kind that can kill a team's season before it really gets underway, especially for a team trying to figure itself out. 

If they can get through it both reasonably healthy and with a not-too-bad record, I'll take.   

#30 FOREVER!

#234 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

too be fair those moves were done perfectly, and they're not easy shots to stop, especially when you commit to the fake

Shootouts are crap shoots imo.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#235 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

I am too, but I'm being realistic.  That schedule is a real bitch...the kind that can kill a team's season before it really gets underway, especially for a team trying to figure itself out. 

If they can get through it both reasonably healthy and with a not-too-bad record, I'll take.   

Well if the hardest part of the schedule is the first quarter of the season, I'll take it.  It means by the time the team does gel, they'll have the lesser teams to deal with.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#236 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

I fell asleep when it was 3-0. Woke up this morning confident in a victory and launched the official NJ Devils app brought to you by Modells and Pfister energy and it said 5-4 EDM F/SO. I muttered to myself "this app sucks this can't be right." Confirmed on TSN. :headless chicken:

#237 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

max:

The problem with your claim is that only one of the Oilers goals tonight was scored in transition (the 4th one).  The other 3 were off possession in the offensive zone.  I know the Devils have trouble with transition but tonight this wasn't really their problem.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#238 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

most frustrating fan in the world nj devs fans.... fvckiing bullsh!t! at least we pllay tonight

#239 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Our "4th line" is -11 through 3 games....ouch!

My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#240 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

Our "4th line" is -11 through 3 games....ouch!

This is one good sign.  With the 4th line performing badly on the stat sheet, maybe it'll be time that the Devils' coaching staff realizes that the first 60 games of Stephen Gionta's career aren't what you can expect out of him going forward.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users