290 replies to this topic

#241 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Marty seems to be thinking about his 5 hole too much. Maybe the new pads are getting to his head. Look at those two shoot out goals, after being scored 5 hole in the 3rd like 2 or 3 times, he over compensated. If he kept his block up instead of down to cover the 5 he would have made those two saves in the shootout.

I thought he only got beat 5 hole on Hall's goal to make it 4-3.  The first was a scrambly rebound out front that beat him glove side (nothing he could do about that one), the second was a shot from the point that beat him low blocker (I think), the third was the goal off the facoff  that beat him high blocker.  IN the shootout, he just got juked out of his pads on both goals which were the same exact move. 

Our "4th line" is -11 through 3 games....ouch!

Gionta was invisible last night.  He needs to be pulled from this lineup.  Bernier I though played ok.  Carter wasn't great.

Posted Image

#242 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Brodeur was very good tonight.  I can't fault any of the goals on him tonight.

Goal 1: Net mouth scramble on the pk, puck goes to RNH's stick for an easy tap in goal.

Goal 2: Perfect shot by Ferrence that looked like it hit a Devil's skate.

Goal 3: Perfect snipe by Perron right off a face-off.

Goal 4: Defensive breakdown and Hall with a sick move.

Did you watch the shootout? and the shootout the night before?

#243 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

The shootouts don't mean much to me.  How about our shooters?  They kind of need to score in order to win some shootouts.  

And what about the shootout before?  You mean the one against the Isles?  The one where he stonewalled 5 of the 6 shooters?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#244 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

Gionta was invisible last night.  He needs to be pulled from this lineup.  Bernier I though played ok.  Carter wasn't great.

Fayne needs to be in for Harrold.

Yayo and Olesz should be in for Gionta and Bernier.  Keep Carter because he's been the best player on that line imo.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#245 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

I thought he only got beat 5 hole on Hall's goal to make it 4-3.  The first was a scrambly rebound out front that beat him glove side (nothing he could do about that one), the second was a shot from the point that beat him low blocker (I think), the third was the goal off the facoff  that beat him high blocker.  IN the shootout, he just got juked out of his pads on both goals which were the same exact move. 

The Ference goal has to be stopped

The Hall goal was a breakdown but Marty has to stop going for these pathetic poke check whiffs. He whiffed on Frans Nielsen who slipped it through his 5 hole. Then he does it again

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#246 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Yayo and Olesz should be in for Gionta and Bernier.  Keep Carter because he's been the best player on that line imo.

I would argue Bernier is the best player on that 4th line.

As for the game, it was a complete heartbreaker.  That 4th goal against Brodeur though was complete trash and it was the same goal as the third goal Brodeur let in against the Islanders.

Loved what I saw from Brunner, Ryder, Elias and Loki.  Zubrus was completely invisible, liking what I am seeing now from Clowe and Jagr.  Liked the speed and effort from Zajac and Henrique but they have to get going soon with the goals or this will be a long season.

As for defense, through 3 games the only defenseman that hasn't pissed me off at 1 point is Andy Greene.  I thought Volchenkov and Salvador played like trash for most of the night and wasn't too happy with Harrold.

I really want Gio off this team.  I really want them to bring back up Josefson and see what he can do.

#247 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Even if you choose to not blame Marty for any individual goal, he needs to come up with a big save in that 8 minute stretch. A big save on any of those 4 goals could have switched momentum back to our side. He seemed to completely lose confidence along with everyone else. Old Marty would have had an "i'll just stop the next one" swagger that I did not see last night.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#248 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

The Hall goal was a breakdown but Marty has to stop going for these pathetic poke check whiffs. He whiffed on Frans Nielsen who slipped it through his 5 hole. Then he does it again

I wonder if the smaller pads have something to do with it.  I know Broduer changed his pads in late December of 2011/Jan of 2012 and suddenly his numbers got better and it seemed like less of these shots were going through him.

#249 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

I know this is off topic, but I'm heading into town (currently live in Minneapolis) and was wondering if anyone is selling tickets for the Oct. 29 game against Tampa?

use stubhub its pretty cheap
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#250 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

He was bad in the shootout last night.  But he was very good against the Islanders.  Blame our own shooters for crapping the bed there.

Agree on the Ference goal.  Nothing he could do about the rebound that RNH scored on.  The Perron goal was a great shot off a wide open chance at the bottom of the circle.  Stoppable, but not very easy.  Hall's you have to blame on the coverage out front, but that is where his style sometimes gets him in trouble.  By swinging for the poke check, he completely opens himself up to the soft 5 hole goals.  

Posted Image

#251 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Well at least Brunner is really good. I think Deboer needs to start using reinforcements. Harrold was horrific and JJ and Olesz would be improvements over Carter and Gionta

Edited by SMantzas, 08 October 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#252 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well at least Brunner is really good. I think Deboer needs to start using reinforcements. Harrold was horrific and JJ and Olesz would be improvements over Carter and Bernier

Definently time to start changing it up not only to see who is going to perform better on that fourth line but those guys were pretty good in the pre season they deserve to have a chance.. It will make the current fourth liners work a little harder to keep their spot on the roster as well. Super hard tp swallow and watch a game like last night but clearly something needs to be done.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#253 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hopefully DeBoer will consider waiving, or at least sitting, Gionta once the losses keep coming and his job is at stake.

#254 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

Bernier was invisible last night but otherwise, I think he's looked great the first two games, and preseason. I think a swap of Yayo for Gionta is all the doctor ordered for today, and maybe Olesz in for one of the guys who's tired or banged up (which I'm not sure there is one, our forwards all looked sharp and spritely last night).

Edited by DJ Eco, 08 October 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#255 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

did anyone see brodeur shaking his head before the shootout... my man knew that the team was going to lose for sure at that point no matter how many rounds he saved and pushed it to.. which is why he just let the first two in he didnt want to have to do any work if the rest of the team wasnt working either.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#256 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

I wonder if the smaller pads have something to do with it.  I know Broduer changed his pads in late December of 2011/Jan of 2012 and suddenly his numbers got better and it seemed like less of these shots were going through him.

Brodeurs pads were already kind of small. Not sure if these new regulations affected him realyl

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#257 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Brodeurs pads were already kind of small. Not sure if these new regulations affected him realyl

I do remember Chico rambling on in Jan of 2012 that Brodeur increased his pad size and that it was a big deal as he has never really done that before.  Just was odd that at the same time Brodeur's numbers started getting better and those kinds of shots were not getting by him.

#258 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

i believe i read somewhere that they made them slightly smaller but it was nothing too dramatic.. the actual numbers (sizes) where posted somewhere of what the new pad size needs to be and what he had already been wearing.. just cant remember where i read it. May have been on here somewhere actually
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#259 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

For what it's worth, I just watched the goals against from Marty's last two games and he's getting beat a lot to the blocker side.  I'm not sure if he's off positionally, of if he's having trouble following the puck or something..but they're zipping by him on the blocker.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#260 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm oddly optimistic still. The new signings are doing well, scoring even. We have a proven great goalie and a solid veteran backup. Our, now crappy, 4th line has Olesz and JJ waiting for a chance to break in. (Surely Gionta is history soon?) Hopefully Fayne will bump Harrold out as well and we'll get our defensive mojo back soon. Still excited about this team. :)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users