290 replies to this topic

#261 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

In fairness, I don't think we can say with any real certainty what Marty is at this point.  No one can.  He's never been a backup in his career, so it's not like playing him less will make him better, or reverse slowing reflexes.  The numbers over the last few seasons overall indicate that he's not a good puck-stopper anymore (the roughly 50-game burst to close out the '11-'12 season was likely the very best of what he has left).  I don't see him being that much better than he's been since the start of last season. 

Schneider will get a workload this season (don't see how he won't, no matter how many games Marty envisions himself starting) that he's never gotten before, and that's good...we need to see if Schneider can play 50-60 games (or more) in a given year. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 October 2013 - 11:24 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#262 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

I thought Larrson recovered from two piss poor games.

Sal at 26 is a joke along with Harrold at 22. They're banking on players playing above their head which has backfired in the early parts of the season

#263 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

For what it's worth, I just watched the goals against from Marty's last two games and he's getting beat a lot to the blocker side.  I'm not sure if he's off positionally, of if he's having trouble following the puck or something..but they're zipping by him on the blocker.

He's all over the place positionally.  It's just a lot of guesswork.  Schneider probably doesn't get beat by either goals 2 or 3 and he has a better chance at stopping 4.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#264 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

Sal at 26 is a joke along with Harrold at 22. They're banking on players playing above their head which has backfired in the early parts of the season

I agree. Larsson looked good last night. Harrold is getting Mottau'd. I like him, but not at top 4 minutes.

#265 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

I agree. Larsson looked good last night. Harrold is getting Mottau'd. I like him, but not at top 4 minutes.

I really hope harrold sits tonight and fayne gets a chance. . I feel like harrold just really didnt look too good last night.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#266 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

I really hope harrold sits tonight and fayne gets a chance. . I feel like harrold just really didnt look too good last night.

A nice positive is that the Devils DO have guys they can give a shot to.  Everyone loves wins to start the year, but at the same time, the early season really is like extended preseason...teams like the Devils still need to figure out which guys are every-game players at certain positions.

It'd be a hell of a lot more ideal if the Devils weren't trying to juggle so many damned road games along with player decisions, but it is what it is. 

I'm also guessing (not exactly going out on a limb on this one) that Schneider will be named the Devils' #1 goalie by mid-November.  Marty probably won't be happy about it behind the scenes, but I do think he'll say the right things in public, and not make it a controversy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 October 2013 - 11:52 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#267 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

How about enough with the bullsh!t,  waive harrold,  send him down.

Volchenkov as your 7th, bring up Merrill and play he and Fayne

Bench Gionta and Carter, play Olesz/Bernier/Josefson

My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#268 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Carter didnt have the best game last night but I still think hes one of the best on the 4th line... I dont think id be ready to bench him just yet. Everyone is so fast to pull the trigger.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#269 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Carter didnt have the best game last night but I still think hes one of the best on the 4th line... I dont think id be ready to bench him just yet. Everyone is so fast to pull the trigger.

I dont dislike Carter, i think he is useful.  I just want to give others a shot right now and i'd rather have Bernier than Carter

My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#270 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

How about enough with the bullsh!t,  waive harrold,  send him down.

Volchenkov as your 7th, bring up Merrill and play he and Fayne

Bench Gionta and Carter, play Olesz/Bernier/Josefson

Bingo, but replace Merrill with Gelinas. 

Also, I'd like to point out that DeBoer used his timeout last night on a PK after the game went to 4-3. What in the actual fvck is he doing these days?

oKCiNj.jpg

#271 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Bingo, but replace Merrill with Gelinas. 

Also, I'd like to point out that DeBoer used his timeout last night on a PK after the game went to 4-3. What in the actual fvck is he doing these days?

He didn't do that.  He had already used his timeout in the 2nd period.  Of course, Chico and Steve, Steve being clueless about hockey and Chico about everything, thought it was Edmonton who called the timeout in the 2nd, because Chico has still not figured out that you can't change lines after icing the puck.  

Harrold is playing 20 minutes a game, I don't see him on waivers any time soon.

Edited by Triumph, 08 October 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#272 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Don't feel good about this one, but let's go Devils!

I went to bed during the second intermission, while the Devils had a 3-0 lead. I was looking forward to quoting this post, saying "wow, I should feel bad about more Devils games if this is the result." I'm really shocked at what happened.

Olesz for Gionta, Josefson for Henrique anyone? Maybe it isn't the time for Henrique to come out yet, but he's got to start scoring soon. It definitely shouldn't be permanent, but the guy needs some pressure, imo.

Edited by nessus, 08 October 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#273 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Rewatch it. The 2nd period timeout was Edmonton. DeBoer called his down 4-3. I literally just watched.

oKCiNj.jpg

#274 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Rewatch it. The 2nd period timeout was Edmonton. DeBoer called his down 4-3. I literally just watched.

Okay, great.  Why does the NHL play by play say VISITOR TIMEOUT in the 2nd period and HOME TIMEOUT in the 3rd period?  Because the Devils took a timeout in the 2nd.  They had iced the puck and their line had been out for a long time.  Chico is still oblivious to this, he picks up on it less than half the time, he'll say something like 'They just want to get things settled down, I guess'.

http://www.nhl.com/s...14/PL020035.HTM

Edited by Triumph, 08 October 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#275 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

I went to bed during the second intermission, while the Devils had a 3-0 lead. I was looking forward to quoting this post, saying "wow, I should feel bad about more Devils games if this is the result." I'm really shocked at what happened.

Olesz for Gionta, Josefson for Henrique anyone? Maybe it isn't the time for Henrique to come out yet, but he's got to start scoring soon. It definitely shouldn't be permanent, but the guy needs some pressure, imo.

your really jumping the gun here trying to scratch henrique already jesus... he wouldve had the one last night if the puck wasnt bouncing when it was passed to him. Zajac hasnt been good either shoukd we scratch him too?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#276 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

...Of course, Chico and Steve, Steve being clueless about hockey and Chico about everything...

:lol: Well if this isn't one of the most accurate things I've read recently on this forum..

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#277 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

:lol: Well if this isn't one of the most accurate things I've read recently on this forum..

honestly chico really is just annoying to listen to most of the time I wish he would just shut up and quit talking. .only thing he was good for was chicos eats!
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#278 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Okay, great.  Why does the NHL play by play say VISITOR TIMEOUT in the 2nd period and HOME TIMEOUT in the 3rd period?  Because the Devils took a timeout in the 2nd.  They had iced the puck and their line had been out for a long time.  Chico is still oblivious to this, he picks up on it less than half the time, he'll say something like 'They just want to get things settled down, I guess'.

http://www.nhl.com/s...14/PL020035.HTM

I'll be honest, I watch the games on mute most of the time. Even the graphic on screen in the 2nd said "Timeout Edmonton". Can't even trust that I guess. Ugh. My bad.

oKCiNj.jpg

#279 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, him getting beat by Hemsky with a beer league toe drag was awesome. I think it was a 2 on 1 as well, with Hemsky being a right handed shooter on the right side. Adam going to Hemsky and missing everything shows me what we are dealing with. I am tired of hearing about age, he blows. Go watch Jake Trouba play.

#280 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yeah, him getting beat by Hemsky with a beer league toe drag was awesome. I think it was a 2 on 1 as well, with Hemsky being a right handed shooter on the right side. Adam going to Hemsky and missing everything shows me what we are dealing with. I am tired of hearing about age, he blows. Go watch Jake Trouba play.

I think we're all glad you're a fan and not a coach then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users