346 replies to this topic

#321 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Couldn't agree more about the defense.  Fayne needs to stay in the lineup because he's actually good with the puck and he's a good skater.  Only defenseman better at skating on this team is Adam Greene.  Looking back, I really wish we would have kept Tallinder.  Why Lou didn't use a compliance buyout on Volch boggles my mind.

hey whos adam greene?!
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#322 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,950 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Have to give it time.  Of course everyone jumping up and down about Gionta, who played all 48 games last year, forgets that Ryan Carter just got healthy scratched, and he's never missed a game while healthy (missed 4 games last year due to concussion).

Since he won't move Carter to center or scratch Gionta, scratching Carter's the only way to get Olesz in the lineup.  Carter doesn't have to play every game but he shouldn't be sitting six in a row either.

re: Pete scratching Volch last year, yeah he got scratched a handful of times when we had EIGHT d-men.   Now we have seven, and so far it's a rotation between Larsson and Fayne which is asinine.  But hey Volch was born a lefty which might be more important than his contract in keeping him in the lineup.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#323 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

hey whos adam greene?!

Homer-Simpson-wingnuts-doh.gif

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#324 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Another positive is that those extra points to vancouver and edm went in the west conference so its not gonna bite us in the ass.

www.SterioDesign.com

#325 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Guess chico thinks we traded Janssen to the 'nucks....

#326 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

This team could very well be competing for the division if the defense gets addressed. They have the goaltending and offense to do it.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#327 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

Another positive is that those extra points to vancouver and edm went in the west conference so its not gonna bite us in the ass.

No, but those 2 points we didn't get could.

Guess chico thinks we traded Janssen to the 'nucks....

I wish.  :lol:

This team could very well be competing for the division if the defense gets addressed. They have the goaltending and offense to do it.

IMO, we don't have enough speed, nor do we have enough physicality on the blue line.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#328 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Since he won't move Carter to center or scratch Gionta, scratching Carter's the only way to get Olesz in the lineup.  Carter doesn't have to play every game but he shouldn't be sitting six in a row either.

Why doesn't this logic apply to Josefson?  Granted I think it's more likely Loktionov sits, but Gionta isn't getting a ton of ice time these days.

re: Pete scratching Volch last year, yeah he got scratched a handful of times when we had EIGHT d-men.   Now we have seven, and so far it's a rotation between Larsson and Fayne which is asinine.  But hey Volch was born a lefty which might be more important than his contract in keeping him in the lineup.

The only thing that got Volchenkov back into the lineup was Tallinder's injury, it's possible he could've been sitting a lot more if he'd stayed healthy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#329 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

I promise that the Devils will win a game eventually.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#330 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

I promise that the Devils will win a game eventually.

Eventually this season, or just eventually? ;)

#331 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

how bout tomorrow night.. yea that sounds good tomorrow night it is.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#332 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

I could just take the conservative route and say eventually.  But dammit, I'm going all in and saying the Devils will win this season!

how bout tomorrow night.. yea that sounds good tomorrow night it is.

We need to be reasonable man!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#333 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

reasonable? whos got time for that sh!t when were about to go 0-5.. not us thats for sure. they need to win tomorrow night.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#334 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

We only have one regulation loss so far. The sky is not falling.. There's a ton of new players, give them some time to mesh. Our offense looks better then last season already, and there's no reason our defense shouldn't be just as good.

Posted Image

#335 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

Couldn't agree more about the defense.  Fayne needs to stay in the lineup because he's actually good with the puck and he's a good skater.  Only defenseman better at skating on this team is Adam Greene.  Looking back, I really wish we would have kept Tallinder.  Why Lou didn't use a compliance buyout on Volch boggles my mind.

Because we would have had to use it before the sale of the team was finalized. We can still use it after the season is over. I imagine there was concern about the actual dollars having to be paid.

Tallinder needed to go because it's clear he and Deboer weren't gonna be pals. He was definitely better than Sal or Volch. No question.

#336 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

We only have one regulation loss so far. The sky is not falling.. There's a ton of new players, give them some time to mesh. Our offense looks better then last season already, and there's no reason our defense shouldn't be just as good.

again.. its not the new faces needing time to mesh for the most part the offense is only coming from the new face and elias so far.. the problem is the old faces .... still
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#337 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

The funny thing is that the "new players" thing doesnt work cause they are the ones producing right now while our regulars are not doing much

www.SterioDesign.com

#338 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

Ya but the whole team is having a ton of defensive breakdowns and that is costing us games more than anything else. We need to shore up the defense especially the ridiculous amount of break aways we are giving up. We also need to actually work the puck out of our zone and posses it in the other teams. Right now we seem lost on clears and are icing the puck far to often. We are at our best when we are deliberate and grind down a team in their zone, that is the core of PDB's philosophy for the team.I do think LL put together a talented group this year but if we take to long to gel we could end up missing the playoffs just from allowing too many games to slip away and being unable to win in the shootout. All and all I feel like the prediction of us not making the playoffs or being in the Stanley Cup finals is entirely accurate.

Since we threw up the game day thread a day up early before, any chance we get Calgary up tonight so I don't have to keep rehashing a loss?

#339 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

reasonable? whos got time for that sh!t when were about to go 0-5.. not us thats for sure. they need to win tomorrow night.

We're not 0-4.  We're 0-1-3.  I still consider the "3" as ties.  :P

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#340 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

The funny thing is that the "new players" thing doesnt work cause they are the ones producing right now while our regulars are not doing much

The 'new players' have all been making critical errors on defense and in the neutral zone, too.  We'll see this improve as the year goes on.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users