#341 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

We're not 0-4.  We're 0-1-3.  I still consider the "3" as ties.  :P

whatever helps you sleep at night... fact is the team has not won a game yet and walking away with a point here and there isnt doing anything for success
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#342 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,273 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

They had a lot of those 'ties' at the start of the spiral of death last year.  Eventually you have to start WINNING games.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#343 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

last game wasn't a tie anyway, they lost it while hockey was still being played.

#344 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

They had a lot of those 'ties' at the start of the spiral of death last year.  Eventually you have to start WINNING games.

Gotta stop comparing last season to this one...the 2013 season is over, and a lot of the guys suiting up for the Devils this season weren't even on the team last year.  I'm not thrilled with what I've seen overall in these first four games either (the two-steps-slower thing that has reared its ugly head from time to time from 2004-on is ALWAYS maddening), but everyone really needs to start showing a little patience.  Unless the goalies were coming out of the chute standing on their heads, a slow start was probably to be expected.  Give it time.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#345 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,617 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Gotta stop comparing last season to this one...the 2013 season is over, and a lot of the guys suiting up for the Devils this season weren't even on the team last year.  I'm not thrilled with what I've seen overall in these first four games either (the two-steps-slower thing that has reared its ugly head from time to time from 2004-on is ALWAYS maddening), but everyone really needs to start showing a little patience.  Unless the goalies were coming out of the chute standing on their heads, a slow start was probably to be expected.  Give it time.

Not to mention I don't care what team it is, 10 game losing streaks are ridiculously rare.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#346 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

Not to mention I don't care what team it is, 10 game losing streaks are ridiculously rare.

They'll probably have some extended losing streaks here and there...four-to-six games, but they'll still come up with some charity points.  Even during the 10-game disaster last season, they still came away with four points. 

Hard to say how they'll perform in OT, but shootouts are probably not going to be a strong suit for the foreseeable future.  If the Devils find a way go to .500ish in them this season, I'll be thrilled.  But being able to win those clearly helps to break up losing streaks.   

One of these years, I hope the NHL wakes up and puts a 3-2-1-0 point system in place...they don't seem to mind messing around with every other part of the game...not sure why some games being worth 3 points and others 2 points remains a sacred entity. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#347 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

I don't disagree with the message of patience.

But...

I think what Has is saying is he hopes DeBoer isn't merely as suggested above taking everything at face value, one game at a time as he is wont to repeat after each game.  The hope is that he is learning from past experience and is able to nip things in the bud, not let them spiral out of control thinking - Hey it's new guys, it's a new season, I have the same message, same system, same take on things and it will all work like clockwork this time because I have new guys. 

My fear is that DeBoer is the wrong mix of over-view and myopia.  He's looking at the details "the little things" with some guys and can't see that they fail in the scope of the big picture.  Then he looks at other guys and sees little errors or attitude sparks that are inappropriate (though not when taking into account age/experience) and nips those things in the bud not despite but BECAUSE they yield good results in terms of the big picture.

DeBoer has strict definitions.  Those definitions are hard to argue with. At face value I agree with them.  He can define everyone's role and the definitions are correct.  But it's implemented all wrong.  His job is indeed a kind of triage - but his priorities are out of balance. 

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users