449 replies to this topic

#241 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Their goaltending was spectacular tonight and they couldn't get pressure on Al Montoya, and even with the spectacular goalie, a mistake by a defenseman puts a puck in the net off another one

Right, NJ will never get puck luck, they will always blow leads, etc.

Don't bother, according to Tri it's the only game in the last 40 where we actually got good goaltending, never mind all those 2-0 and 2-1 losses late last year where the offense didn't do ****.

NJ had the same awful luck last year with decent goaltending coming in the games they couldn't score.  This is not going to be a good offense and no one should have the impression that it will be.  The personnel aren't there.  Everyone knows that.  The defense has to be tightened up.  It's a shame they haven't been able to a steal a win here, would probably go a long way towards calming nerves.

EDIT:  Hedberg gave up 2 goals in the first 3 games, going 2-0-1.  He had one game where he gave up 1 goal, and 6 games where he gave up 2 goals.  He was 4-2-1 in these games.  He lost all the rest of his games.

Edited by Triumph, 13 October 2013 - 10:55 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#242 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Don't bother, according to Tri it's the only game in the last 40 where we actually got good goaltending, never mind all those 2-0 and 2-1 losses late last year where the offense didn't do ****.

It's just a remarkably difficult team to play behind.   Marty is a backup and Moose should have been put down, but you put a supremely better goalie in there and the same things are happening, and then he pitches a near perfect game and they still don't win.    And it's not even like it's on a clean shot or a great play, it's on a defensive related clusterfvck

Right, NJ will never get puck luck, they will always blow leads, etc.

Magical thinking doesn't save coaching jobs.   I don't like that it seems destined to happen, but it's gonna happen.   If not tomorrow or Tuesday, it'll be soon.  

#243 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Magical thinking doesn't save coaching jobs.   I don't like that it seems destined to happen, but it's gonna happen.   If not tomorrow or Tuesday, it'll be soon. 

It could be as soon as Saturday (if they lose another two and get embarassed by a bad Ranger team) and I hate it too but to an extent Pete's digging his own grave here.

And attributing 40 games of bad offense to luck is just as silly now as it was in 2010.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 October 2013 - 10:57 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#244 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

It could be as soon as Saturday (if they lose another two and get embarassed by a bad Ranger team) and I hate it too but to an extent Pete's digging his own grave here.

And attributing 40 games of bad offense to luck is just as silly now as it was in 2010.

I think it's coming now because of the lull in the schedule... if they are inclined to promote from within.

#245 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

It's just a remarkably difficult team to play behind.   Marty is a backup and Moose should have been put down, but you put a supremely better goalie in there and the same things are happening, and then he pitches a near perfect game and they still don't win.    And it's not even like it's on a clean shot or a great play, it's on a defensive related clusterfvck

Wow, they got a whole 1 great goaltending game and couldn't win it.  They got 3 games of Marty too, didn't win those.  

The Rangers aren't a bad team.

The Devils have a bad offense.  They do not have a bad offense because of coaching, they have a bad offense because of personnel.  Nothing can turn the Devils into having a good offense besides puck luck.  However, even within the context of having a bad offense, they got rotten puck luck last year.

#246 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

This thread should be changed to #DeBoerWatch.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#247 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Who do we promote from within and if we do, do we fire Debo, Stevens and the other guy or keep the two assistant coaches.

Get Lemaire back! He's only a year older than my father.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#248 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

I think it's coming now because of the lull in the schedule... if they are inclined to promote from within.

Who do they have to promote from within?  I think Lou used up his buddy pass with Lemaire two years ago, and they can't keep yo-yoing him back like George used to do with Billy Martin.  I doubt Barr or Stevens would be the next coach unless it was something like '05 where they 'coached' but Lou has the head title.  Lou hasn't even given the public vote of confidence yet lol

If anything they might go outside for the first time in-season since Constantine.  If Laviolette wasn't such a **** he'd be an obvious choice but I doubt Lou would go for him.  If Maurice wasn't so close with Pete I'd say it could be him.  Maybe Boucher, since he's buddies with Lemaire but he's basically a more sandpapered version of Pete.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 October 2013 - 11:05 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#249 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

Wow, they got a whole 1 great goaltending game and couldn't win it.  They got 3 games of Marty too, didn't win those.  

The Devils have a bad offense.  They do not have a bad offense because of coaching, they have a bad offense because of personnel.  Nothing can turn the Devils into having a good offense besides puck luck.  However, even within the context of having a bad offense, they got rotten puck luck last year.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think we have a good offense. We just have no clue how to play with a lead. Our third period performance is an utter mess.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#250 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

If DeBoer is fired, there better be no promoting from within. I'd rather keep DeBoer than have any of the assistants take over. If Lou is really serious about winning and not forfeiting a lottery pick, he'll go after a real coach with previous experience.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#251 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Who do they have to promote from within?  I think Lou used up his buddy pass with Lemaire two years ago, and they can't keep yo-yoing him back like George used to do with Billy Martin.  I doubt Shaw or Stevens would be the next coach unless it was something like '05 where they 'coached' but Lou has the head title.

If anything they might go outside for the first time in-season since Constantine.  If Laviolette wasn't such a **** he'd be an obvious choice but I doubt Lou would go for him.  If Maurice wasn't so close with Pete I'd say it could be him.  Maybe Boucher, since he's buddies with Lemaire but he's basically a more sandpapered version of Pete.

I just think they're going to make Stevens the coach because he's Scott Stevens.   Just a gut feeling... "think like the Devils think."   And Lou ain't going down to the bench for a full season at 71, that and if you go down to the bench you better be sure you can salvage it, because you're the only guy left, then

Edited by maxpower, 13 October 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#252 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

too many variables to compare this year to last year.

one win out of a playoff spot you people are out of hand.

schneider himself is why you cant compare last season to this one.

Posted Image

#253 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

Do we still have players with a history of eating coaches alive?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#254 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Promoting Scott Stevens to be a head coach when he has no prior experience as a head coach and 1 season of assistant coaching would be utter insanity.  That would be a fireable offense for Lou Lamoriello.

Edited by Triumph, 13 October 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#255 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Mike Keenan?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#256 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Promoting Scott Stevens to be a head coach when he has no prior experience as a head coach and 1 season of assistant coaching would be utter insanity.  That would be a fireable offense for Lou Lamoriello.

This I agree with 125%.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#257 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Barry Melrose?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#258 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

It's just a strong feeling, going on the Mark Messier principle where if you let your past superstars in there, they become difficult to remove and vastly overrated in their performance.  

#259 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

I don't know how we can say that. Two scoreless games during this stretch but scoring 3-4 goals in every other game. Our offense is underestimated.

Agree... Not sure who thinks him as a head coach is a great idea? I'm putting the onus on him for the defense being so sh!t this stretch. I really think he should go, not get promoted.

#260 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

It's just a strong feeling, going on the Mark Messier principle where if you let your past superstars in there, they become difficult to remove and vastly overrated in their performance.  

Even Sather knew when to draw the line

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users