#261 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Even Sather knew when to draw the line

Sather didn't really play the game.   We have already, by merit he should probably be fired and some of the sh!t that Pete gets, at least with the defensemen, is probably on Stevens

#262 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

I don't know how we can say that. Two scoreless games during this stretch but scoring 3-4 goals in every other game. Our offense is underestimated.

Agree... Not sure who thinks him as a head coach is a great idea? I'm putting the onus on him for the defense being so sh!t this stretch. I really think he should go, not get promoted.

The Devils have had leads in most of their games, so this is difficult, but they have not gotten 30 shots on goal in a game yet.  You don't score goals without shots.  They are not going to score a lot of goals.

Edited by Triumph, 13 October 2013 - 11:20 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#263 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

The Devils have had leads in most of their games, so this is difficult, but they have not gotten 30 shots on goal in a game yet.  You don't score goals without shots.  They are not going to score a lot of goals.

This is true.

#264 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

The run they're on now is actually worse than the Johnny Mac era of suck.  Not by point percentage, obviously, but by wins and loses.

9 wins manufactured over the last 40 games.. when is enough enough?

This season is starting to feel like the J'Mac season in the sense of urgency. "It's only 4 games.. it's only 8 games.. it's only 13 games." -and the next thing you knew, the hole was insurmountable to crawl out of.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#265 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

Lets just face it -- if this team took shots they'd result in turn-overs -- that's the point.  They' re SCARED to take shots. 

It's those little things, like NOT taking shots.... 

I'm here for the party

#266 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

-- Delete Post --

Edited by Anhkheg, 14 October 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#267 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

9 wins manufactured over the last 40 games.. when is enough enough?

This season is starting to feel like the J'Mac season in the sense of urgency. "It's only 4 games.. it's only 8 games.. it's only 13 games." -and the next thing you knew, the hole was insurmountable to crawl out of.

When the Devils get goaltending and can't win.  That is when enough is enough.  A few more games like last night, and sure.  Scotty Bowman couldn't've gotten the 92-93 Senators to win more than 20 games.  Why?  Their goalies were horrendous.

Edited by Triumph, 14 October 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#268 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

When the Devils get goaltending and can't win.  That is when enough is enough.  A few more games like last night, and sure.  Scotty Bowman couldn't've gotten the 92-93 Senators to win more than 20 games.  Why?  Their goalies were horrendous.

my concern is there isn't a ton that can be done to improve the team this year - they are who they are and they'll either come together and/or get bounces or they won't.

short of injury, lou is not going to move out players to get merrill and gelinas up and while they may bring a dimension that's missing from some of the varsity, the mistakes and off nights they'll have will be plentiful. as for forwards, the devils have josefson and tedenby to perhaps inject some kind of life but these are bottom 6 guys. for anyone thinking boucher, he's got 4 shots in 3 games so far. again, very small sample size but he's not the answer anytime soon.

i am not down on henrique and zajac like some are but they have to produce offense.

clowe - god we all better hope he's hurt because there has been absolutely nothing there from him.

ryder - i like his game - he's gotten some shots and can be an effective player.

if this is a middle of the pack team, i'll deal with it. but they look pretty terrible more often than not and their glaring weaknesses are getting exposed.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#269 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

It's time, DeBoer needs to go. Bring back the trap.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#270 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,125 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

In bold:  yep. 

It's a testament to Lou how long he's been able to stave off an implosion...even in 2010-11, when the Devils could've had a 25-30 win season, they found way to not turn in a bottom-feeder-type record. 

Having a guy like Schneider should help stave off that "completely bottom-out" record (though the one question that hasn't been answered about Schneider yet is can he start 55-65 games in an NHL season), but yeah, if he's doing his thing and the Devils STILL can't win games...yeah, probably have to blow it up...though Lou would have to do it in a way that promises a quick turnaround, and one he could sell Schneider on, if he wants to lock up Schneider to a max-length-type deal. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#271 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Way too early to go here but I will anyway. There is probably a 1% chance Lou does this but guys like Jagr,Zidlicky could yield high picks at the deadline. Ryder and Brunner are on nice contacts too if Lou wants to go that route.

#272 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

Way too early to go here but I will anyway. There is probably a 1% chance Lou does this but guys like Jagr,Zidlicky could yield high picks at the deadline. Ryder and Brunner are on nice contacts too if Lou wants to go that route.

I'm sure LL will look into that if we're not in contention at the deadline. Jagr alone could probably get a 2nd if he manages to look at least decent, same for Zid. I would rather not dump Ryder or Brunner as they aren't 10000 years old and are RH shots. They're also probably the two of the best, if not the two best shots on the team.

#273 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,950 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Right on cue here's the dreaded vote of confidence:

http://www.nj.com/de...hing_staff.html

Which means the clock is definitely ticking.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#274 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think the deboer watch seriously starts if we lose both of the next 2 games. Lou will at least give him another home game against a god awful rags team to show something.

It's way too early to talk about moving players but the only way Lou does it is if we are completely out of it by the deadline. He will not shop guys off if we have any shred of hope of the playoffs.

#275 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Pete got the 'ol vote of confidence today.   So at least that eliminates my fear of them making Stevens the coach.

#276 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Right on cue here's the dreaded vote of confidence:

http://www.nj.com/de...hing_staff.html

Which means the clock is definitely ticking.

Sounds like a repeat of last seasons interview

#277 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Why do people think that the vote of confidence ultimately means someone is going to be fired?  It means that Lou was asked about the coach.  Sometimes a coach gets fired if the team continues, sometimes he doesn't.  Tom Coughlin's probably had 4 votes of confidence.

#278 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Remember how happy the new owners looked during their interview earlier in the season?

It's the whiskey talking.

#279 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Why do people think that the vote of confidence ultimately means someone is going to be fired?  It means that Lou was asked about the coach.  Sometimes a coach gets fired if the team continues, sometimes he doesn't.  Tom Coughlin's probably had 4 votes of confidence.

Tom Coughlin must have incredible powers of persuasion, though, because it looks like unless this gets insanely bad, he's going to get to make his own decision on employment *this year*.

#280 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,944 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

Tom Coughlin must have incredible powers of persuasion, though, because it looks like unless this gets insanely bad, he's going to get to make his own decision on employment *this year*.

Well every time Coughlin was on the hot seat, his team caught fire and went on to win the Super Bowl. Unlikely this year.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users