449 replies to this topic

#381 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

Chances of us winning against either the Canucks, Bruins and then the Lightning (have 5 wins and 10 pts).look quite slim.

Understatement of the year :lol:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#382 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

Chances of us winning against either the Canucks, Bruins and then the Lightning (have 5 wins and 10 pts).look quite slim.

Maybe we're so bad that teams might use a back-up against us and we'll pull off an upset. Fingers crossed.

believe-devs.jpg

#383 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

Maybe we're so bad that teams might use a back-up against us and we'll pull off an upset. Fingers crossed.

That'd be worse.  We already lost to Jason LaBarbaera and Al Montoya on the West swing (along with the immortal Joey McDonald).

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#384 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

It won't be long now, I'm guessing.

#385 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Gotta win the next one. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#386 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Who would've thought the popular PDB would be on the hot seat so soon...but he deserves to be with his personnel decisions and poorly coached team.

#387 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

Speaking of bad decisions, I hope Lou's really regretting holding onto that 29th overall pick a couple years ago. When people were arguing "There's not much of a difference between the 29th and the 20th picks, and the Devils have a deficit that needs to be addressed now..." I bet they didn't expect that we'd be missing the playoffs for at least half of those 4 years. I know it's early and there's still time to turn this season around, but playoffs start to look unlikely when you only get 1 win in the first 10 games. I really hope Lou can find a way to appeal that penalty, but I highly doubt anything would come of that if he tried.

To be honest, I'd have been very happy with coming out of the 2011 draft with Damon Severson as our top pick. He'll almost definitely be a better player than Matteau with his 0 points in the AHL so far.

You've got to do something Lou. This is one season that the team can absolutely not suck.

#388 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

Speaking of bad decisions, I hope Lou's really regretting holding onto that 29th overall pick a couple years ago. When people were arguing "There's not much of a difference between the 29th and the 20th picks, and the Devils have a deficit that needs to be addressed now..." I bet they didn't expect that we'd be missing the playoffs for at least half of those 4 years. I know it's early and there's still time to turn this season around, but playoffs start to look unlikely when you only get 1 win in the first 10 games. I really hope Lou can find a way to appeal that penalty, but I highly doubt anything would come of that if he tried.

To be honest, I'd have been very happy with coming out of the 2011 draft with Damon Severson as our top pick. He'll almost definitely be a better player than Matteau with his 0 points in the AHL so far.

You've got to do something Lou. This is one season that the team can absolutely not suck.

I truly believe that this team isn't as awful as they have been so I still have hope but it does suck that Lou held onto that pick. If this team is well out of the playoff race by the deadline at least they have some assets (Jagr, Ryder, Zidlicky). Jagr and Zidlicky are both rentals and Ryder would only have 1 year left after this year at a reasonable $3.5M.

I don't know what Ryder's value would be. Maybe Jagr would be worth a conditional 2nd rounder that could turn into a late 1st if that team made a deep run again like the deal with Boston last year. Maybe Zidlicky would yield a fringe player or mid to late round pick. At least the team has some sort of safety net to recoup some value should things continue disastrously - though I still feel they will turn it around.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#389 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

Dealing Jagr I get and I assume Zidlicky would waive his NTC. But dealing Ryder...what have you got next year? Dealing him would definitely mean going all in in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes. 

believe2.jpg

#390 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

Dealing Jagr I get and I assume Zidlicky would waive his NTC. But dealing Ryder...what have you got next year? Dealing him would definitely mean going all in in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.

Which would also mean saying goodbye to any hopes of Schneider staying here long term.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#391 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

I truly believe that this team isn't as awful as they have been so I still have hope but it does suck that Lou held onto that pick. If this team is well out of the playoff race by the deadline at least they have some assets (Jagr, Ryder, Zidlicky). Jagr and Zidlicky are both rentals and Ryder would only have 1 year left after this year at a reasonable $3.5M.

I don't know what Ryder's value would be. Maybe Jagr would be worth a conditional 2nd rounder that could turn into a late 1st if that team made a deep run again like the deal with Boston last year. Maybe Zidlicky would yield a fringe player or mid to late round pick. At least the team has some sort of safety net to recoup some value should things continue disastrously - though I still feel they will turn it around.

Zidlicky is worth more than you think.   We got him for a 2 + 3 + pile of junk.   And this was at a really low ebb for him.   I think he's probably worth 2+ again.

Ryder could be worth a 1 if he has a very good year because of the extra year.   I think if they're bad, they should have no problem getting back into the first round, the problem is that unless you're extremely lucky, the best you can do is upper mid 1st.   So 20+ or so.   If you would have finished say, 12th from the bottom, meh.  It's bad, but not unforgiveable.     Top 5?   Totally different story.

Edited by maxpower, 23 October 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#392 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Which would also mean saying goodbye to any hopes of Schneider staying here long term.

And that would suck, because you know who (probably) will need goaltending two years down the road? The Flyers...

believe2.jpg

#393 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

I just don't understand how PDB is going with Harrold over Larsson at this point.  I just don't get it.  Larsson hasn't been great by any stretch of the imagination, but Harrold is an embarrassment out there, with absolutely no future in this organization.

If the team is fvcking losing, at least make sure your kids are getting some experience.

And that would suck, because you know who (probably) will need goaltending two years down the road? The Flyers...

Talk about getting yourself worked up over nothing..a little premature, don't you think?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#394 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

Zidlicky is worth more than you think.   We got him for a 2 + 3 + pile of junk.   And this was at a really low ebb for him.   I think he's probably worth 2+ again.

Ryder could be worth a 1 if he has a very good year because of the extra year.   I think if they're bad, they should have no problem getting back into the first round, the problem is that unless you're extremely lucky, the best you can do is upper mid 1st.   So 20+ or so.   If you would have finished say, 12th from the bottom, meh.  It's bad, but not unforgiveable.     Top 5?   Totally different story.

Ryder is not likely to have a good year if the Devils have a bad year, and he won't be worth a 1st round pick even if he does.  C'mon now.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#395 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Talk about getting yourself worked up over nothing..a little premature, don't you think?

Oh, certainly.

believe2.jpg

#396 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'm starting to think the Lou is still holding a grudge and drafted him only to bury him in the AHL for as long as possible.

Put food on my family

#397 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

The blowing of leads is my biggest gripe with Deboer...Deboer's expressionless look up at the scoreboard when we blow yet another lead is infuriating. Even in our 1 playoff year with Deboer i recall us blowing a fair amount of leads, but that year we were winning in OT or the shootout so it wasn't magnified.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#398 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

per Deboer Eric Gelinas is here for Devils' practice. Wearing no. 22.

www.SterioDesign.com

#399 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

The blowing of leads is my biggest gripe with Deboer...Deboer's expressionless look up at the scoreboard when we blow yet another lead is infuriating. Even in our 1 playoff year with Deboer i recall us blowing a fair amount of leads, but that year we were winning in OT or the shootout so it wasn't magnified.

More so when it's clear the defensive pairings are an issue.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#400 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Lemaire, trap. Please.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users