#401 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Lemaire, trap. Please.

Funny thing is, I bet this team could rock the trap pretty effectively (or at least a modified version of it).

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#402 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

Funny thing is, I bet this team could rock the trap pretty effectively (or at least a modified version of it).

I don't think so, one of the biggest things needed is a fairly mobile defense to contend on dump ins. Sal and volchie would get beat with speed and so would Larsson and zidlicky for that matter

#403 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Lemaire, trap. Please.

fapfapfapfapfapfap

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#404 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,059 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't think so, one of the biggest things needed is a fairly mobile defense to contend on dump ins. Sal and volchie would get beat with speed and so would Larsson and zidlicky for that matter

They had a slow as molasses defense three years ago and ran the trap fine then.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#405 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

They had a slow as molasses defense three years ago and ran the trap fine then.

C'mon now, that wasn't a trap. That relied on the brilliant forechecking of Parise and guys like Carter and Henrique up front. Our D ended up not having to do as much work because of the hustle up front.

Now, I think the league's figured it out, every coach has the book on us and it's not that complex.

#406 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,059 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

C'mon now, that wasn't a trap. That relied on the brilliant forechecking of Parise and guys like Carter and Henrique up front. Our D ended up not having to do as much work because of the hustle up front.

Now, I think the league's figured it out, every coach has the book on us and it's not that complex.

I was referring to Lemaire's second half in '11.  They had basically White and Volchenkov as a top pair for long stretches lol...that's about as slow as it gets.  They had Greene, Fayne, Tallinder, Salmela/Leach as well.  

So Greene, Fayne and Volch are still here.  You're replacing White with Salvador, not much difference there.  Zidlicky and Harrold don't provide all that much more speed than Tallinder and Salmela/Leach.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 23 October 2013 - 04:24 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#407 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,982 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

So Pete calling out 'passengers' now, me thinks the end may be near.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#408 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,982 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

After Tuesday night’s 4-1 loss in Columbus, Devils coach Pete DeBoer talked about how his team didn’t win “enough battles in the tough areas of the rink” and having only “15 or 16 guys prepared to be in the fight and win battles.”

DeBoer continued on that subject today when I asked him the main reason why the team was not able to build off the 4-0 win over the Rangers on Saturday.

“We just had three or four passengers and we’re not the kind of team that can have that,” DeBoer said. “There are teams that can get away with that in this league, have three or four passengers on a night and still win a game. We’re not one of those teams.” http://blogs.northje...e_wake-up_call/

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#409 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,059 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I don't know if that means the end is near but it sure as shooting means Pete's feeling the heat.  He doesn't usually call out players publicly, even in a veiled fashion.  

#410 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

This team is lazy, undisciplined and unaccountable. That is all on PDB's inability to take control, call the right players out and bust heads. Even Sutter did that.

Edited by CarpathianForest, 23 October 2013 - 06:17 PM.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#411 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

I don't know if that means the end is near but it sure as shooting means Pete's feeling the heat.  He doesn't usually call out players publicly, even in a veiled fashion.  

I think that's fair, but he never really needed to call out players last season. When they lost, you couldn't really point to one individual who was playing poorly other than the goalie. That's what happens when you lose outshooting an opponent 33-11. It wasn't going to do him any good calling out Marty or Johan.

I don't think it does any good calling out specific players in the media anyway. Really no benefit. If a player is struggling, the right thing to do is limit their minutes or sit them down..or keep it in house. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#412 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Pete Julien has lost the team........better wear a helmet at practice !!

#413 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

The critical part is that he is right.  Brunner and Loktionov have been largely worthless the last few games they've played, save Loktionov's goal.  The Devils need them if they are going to be any good.

I'm not sure who the other passengers are - Harrold had a bad night but I can't see Pete ever calling him a passenger - but yeah.  The Devils need 4 lines working and they had 2 working last night.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#414 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

The critical part is that he is right.  Brunner and Loktionov have been largely worthless the last few games they've played, save Loktionov's goal.  The Devils need them if they are going to be any good.

I'm not sure who the other passengers are - Harrold had a bad night but I can't see Pete ever calling him a passenger - but yeah.  The Devils need 4 lines working and they had 2 working last night.

Well we've got a bunch of players that are used to only being on offense with no defensive skill. They need to start working on that part of their game. Even Kovy did that.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#415 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

10 games in and people need 20 games to assess

a new coach wont get us 10 wins right now so that means 20 games in we are sunk

debo is not doing his job but its not his line choices or pairings

get a kitten and pass it around on the ice.

Posted Image

#416 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Go away Pete.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#417 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

cant even stand to watch his post game interviews anymore.. king of the excuses.. well we played good we did everything right we really should have we really could have yea yea yea bs shut the fvck up
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#418 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

My main defense of DeBoer, and if you've been reading, I haven't defended him much, is that the players always went to war for him, even last year when they were losing. That's not true anymore. What does he do right at this point?

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#419 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

My main defense of DeBoer, and if you've been reading, I haven't defended him much, is that the players always went to war for him, even last year when they were losing. That's not true anymore. What does he do right at this point?

I do think his offensive system is good.  We still are good at pinning the opposition in their zone.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#420 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

cant even stand to watch his post game interviews anymore.. king of the excuses.. well we played good we did everything right we really should have we really could have yea yea yea bs shut the fvck up

JMac 2.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users