449 replies to this topic

#101 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

They're not going to take Gionta out until he proves he's not doing the job.  He's getting close to doing that. 

My god man! Where is their line in the sand? At what point does he finally prove this?

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#102 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,587 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

My god man! Where is their line in the sand? At what point does he finally prove this?

Gionta's numbers with the Devils under Peter DeBoer:

79 GP, 7 G, 14 A, 21 P, 18 PIM, +4, 85 SOG, ~11:00 TOI

Now if I told you nothing else about Stephen Gionta and you didn't know what Corsi was, you'd think that was pretty good performance for a 4th line center who sometimes plays 3rd line minutes.  It's the fact that these numbers are unsustainable - that Gionta's next 80 games are more likely to feature around 10 points scored - is part of what makes GIonta so not good.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#103 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Now if I told you nothing else about Stephen Gionta and you didn't know what Corsi was, you'd think that was pretty good performance for a 4th line center who sometimes plays 3rd line minutes.  It's the fact that these numbers are unsustainable - that Gionta's next 80 games are more likely to feature around 10 points scored - is part of what makes GIonta so not good.

Also his other stint on the awful portion of the 10/11 season where he was the epitome of JAG.

#104 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Stephen Gionta isn't horrible offensively.  But he brings so little in every other aspect.  As I've said several times, I love Gionta.  I mean I have an obsessive mancrush on the man.  But he shouldn't be playing this much.  He shouldn't be playing over our skilled guys like Josefson and Tedenby.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#105 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Now Deboer has got to answer for this sh!t show and Gionta/Harold

#106 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

JMac 2.0

#107 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

JMac 2.0

This is wrong.  Deboer was the coach of a team that got to play for the Stanley Cup.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#108 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

This is wrong.  Deboer was the coach of a team that got to play for the Stanley Cup.

that doesnt mean anything anymore bro im sorry... everyone is all caught up in that memory still with deboer. ALOT has changed since then its not even close to the same team since then weve lost two superstar players in kovy and parise clarkson took a hike too.. and theyve had a lot of new guys come and go. Something is clearly not working out here and now the fingers start to get pointed at the coaching staff.. it isnt just this first 5 game losing streak it was last seasons horrible second half ending as well its been going on for a serious amount of time. Game after game so far this season everyone continues to question wtf pdb is doing with the lines and the players hes playing continuously and the ones he continues to bench... i really dont think hes going to have a job if the team doesnt turn their sh!t around. Everyone who is stuck in the 12' cup run memory has got to move on and realize this is a completely different team and whatever it is just isnt working out.. and for fvcks sake please dont be one of those guys thats going to say the new faces just need to mesh with our guys because thats obviously not the problem so everyone can feel free to stop using that as an excuse.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#109 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

how bout Lindy Ruff

#110 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

how bout Lindy Ruff

He's in Dallas

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#111 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

and Johnny Mac won a Cup as a bench coach and helped turn around the 05-06 team as the defacto coach

Edited by maxpower, 11 October 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#112 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

that doesnt mean anything anymore bro im sorry... everyone is all caught up in that memory still with deboer. ALOT has changed since then its not even close to the same team since then weve lost two superstar players in kovy and parise clarkson took a hike too.. and theyve had a lot of new guys come and go. Something is clearly not working out here and now the fingers start to get pointed at the coaching staff.. it isnt just this first 5 game losing streak it was last seasons horrible second half ending as well its been going on for a serious amount of time. Game after game so far this season everyone continues to question wtf pdb is doing with the lines and the players hes playing continuously and the ones he continues to bench... i really dont think hes going to have a job if the team doesnt turn their sh!t around. Everyone who is stuck in the 12' cup run memory has got to move on and realize this is a completely different team and whatever it is just isnt working out.. and for fvcks sake please dont be one of those guys thats going to say the new faces just need to mesh with our guys because thats obviously not the problem so everyone can feel free to stop using that as an excuse.

My point is that he compared him to JMac.  They couldn't be more different.  The problem with JMac was his system was absolute garbage.  The problem with Deboer his that his lineups are the problem.  Deboer's system is one of the best in hockey.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#113 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

He's in Dallas

damn I though he was still unemployed

how bout Ron Wilson.....he and Lou go back a ways

#114 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

and Johnny Mac won a Cup as a bench coach and helped turn around the 05-06 team as the defacto coach

What year did MacLean win the Cup as a bench coach?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#115 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

What year did MacLean win the Cup as a bench coach?

#116 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

My point is that you have to look at these things in a vacuum.   Staffs are units.   Oates and Robinson is a very good staff and them combined with Pete's system led to good things.   Some of the same odd things happened but they overcame it at an incredible rate.   The staff right now does not seem to be very good.  The system IMO still is and was even last year at the end.   But it's a sum of your parts thing, if units can't be coached up properly it's on the HC.   It happens.

Lemaire and Robinson, great tandem.   Robinson gets removed from the equation, and next thing you know, Chris Nilan is in.   Whoops.   The only thing else I remember him for since is stealing a bathing suit.

Edited by maxpower, 11 October 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#117 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

I think that's reaching a little bit since Carpenter was the 2nd in command.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#118 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

My point is that you have to look at these things in a vacuum.   Staffs are units.   Oates and Robinson is a very good staff and them combined with Pete's system led to good things.   Some of the same odd things happened but they overcame it at an incredible rate.   The staff right now does not seem to be very good.  The system IMO still is and was even last year at the end.   But it's a sum of your parts thing, if units can't be coached up properly it's on the HC.   It happens.

Lemaire and Robinson, great tandem.   Robinson gets removed from the equation, and next thing you know, Chris Nilan is in.   Whoops.   The only thing else I remember him for since is stealing a bathing suit.

I don't disagree.  But Oates and Robinson were there with Mac as well.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#119 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,587 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

One place I find the coaching seriously lacking is in the shootout department.  Robinson and Oates were able to coach NJ into great shootout results in 11-12 and since then it's been nothing but awful.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#120 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:10 AM

One place I find the coaching seriously lacking is in the shootout department.  Robinson and Oates were able to coach NJ into great shootout results in 11-12 and since then it's been nothing but awful.

Honestly Marty may have made the biggest coaching decision re: shootouts.   If you have two good shooters it's almost impossible to lose them.   If you have no good shooters it's almost impossible to win them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users