70 replies to this topic

#21 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:20 AM

Zubrus has not been useless since day one..that's a dumb statement sorry..

#22 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

Zubrus is basically what Sarge was back in the day.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#23 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

I don't so much agree on the useless "Zs".  Like every team, confidence makes your roster look unbeatable, and lack thereof makes it look porous and poorly constructed.  Zajac is a good player, contract aside.  He's not a #1 center at this point in his confidence. Neither is Lokti.  Neither is Henrique.  Zidlicky is not a good defensive defender, but he adds something on the other side.  Whether it's positive value overall is worth debating.  Zubrus is a big lug with big effort who will score points on nights when the chemistry is there, and who will come up empty on most others.  He is what he is.

The bigger issues are:

-Salvador (in general... and on the PP tonight... wtf?)

-Gionta occupying a starting spot

-Bernier getting too much ice time and too much PP time

-Harrold being *anything* more than a 7th

The roster decisions to this point are laughable. 

If you want to fix as much as you can fix for this team, it happens this way:

-Send Gionta to the AHL

-Always play Olesz who looked great tonight

-Never bench Larsson

-Never bench Fayne (altho a spot rusty tonight, he is a solid 3-4 guy)

-Only play Harrold when another D is injured [or rotate him in and out for Salvador]

-Play Schneider more than 50% of the games

-Let Josefson switch on/off time with a guy like Bernier

If Doboer keeps going with his unquestioning devotion to the Giontas, Harrolds, and Berniers of this team, it's going to be a tough season.  If he wakes up and ices THE MOST SKILLED LINEUP POSSIBLE, then we may have a chance of even being good and developing some chemistry as a team.

PS - Liking Brunner, Jagr, Ryder thus far.  Clowe needs to wake up tho.  If the coach does the things mentioned above, you'll start to see more coming naturally from every one else on the team, including some scoring from Henrique, Zajac, etc.  I fear though that the dumb decisions are going to continue.

#24 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Clowe should be on the 4th line

Not sure the Devils can judge talent anymore, some of the contracts they are giving out these days?

#25 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

i dont think zubrus has been completely useless he just hasnt scored any goals doesnt mean hes useless. Zajac on the other hand god his entire line (henrique&ryder) cant even keep any pressure in the offensive zone forget about an attempt on net. that line needs to be changed, ryder is the best looking one on that line. Its becoming clear that zajac and henrique need to be paired up with some top talent in order to shine... which is obviously going to be a problem.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Zajac has been on the ice for more shot attempts than any other Devils forward.  Just goes to show that the eyes don't always catch everything.  That line is performing well, once Henrique settles in to his wing position I think they'll be better.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Has anyone on offense really been all that good outside of Elias, Jagr, Brunner, and Ryder? The answer is no.

#28 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Has anyone on offense really been all that good outside of Elias, Jagr, Brunner, and Ryder? The answer is no.

It's also been 4 games. It will take some time for 5 new forwards to build chemistry with a new team and system, and with each other.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#29 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Zajac has been horrendous the past two seasons. Him and Henrique on the same line makes me cringe at how two once-bright players could have regressed so much.

#30 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Zajac has been horrendous the past two seasons. Him and Henrique on the same line makes me cringe at how two once-bright players could have regressed so much.

he and Henrique were supposed to be core players for the future

Edited by hargsy, 09 October 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#31 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

he and Henrique were supposed to be core players for the future

I like how we're already speaking in past tenses. Not saying they will turn it around, but the possibility is absolutely there.

oKCiNj.jpg

#32 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

I like how we're already speaking in past tenses. Not saying they will turn it around, but the possibility is absolutely there.

some of our players have regressed instead of getting better..........yeah I hope they all turn it around and become the players we all thought they'd turn out to be.

#33 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Can we change title to the useless thread? Zubrus is useless and so is the only guy on the team that can win a faceoff. Excellent analysis. LOL.

#34 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

some of our players have regressed instead of getting better..........yeah I hope they all turn it around and become the players we all thought they'd turn out to be.

Zajac is already an established player and your talking about him like he's a Josefson or a Tedenby.  He's a big center and does everything that a center should be doing.  Be responsible defensively, win faceoffs, help his team control the puck effectively, etc.. 
Zubrus is a player that I feel the Devils can succeed without, but he does things that other players may struggle.  Aka winning puck battles along the board, he's our biggest forward and hasn't lost all his speed yet, even as he ages.  He can kill penalties, he's almost the perfect fringe 2nd liner who can be an effective 3rd line forward. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#35 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,141 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Useless overreaction threads. :headless chicken:

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#36 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Useless overreaction threads. :headless chicken:

This. I wonder if there is any fanbase in the league that hates it's own players as much as the Devils' fanbase.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#37 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

This. I wonder if there is any fanbase in the league that hates it's own players as much as the Devils' fanbase.

There's idiots everywhere. I'm sure it's just as bad anywhere else.

#38 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

Zajac isn't a top center. But he's paid like one. That dictates the negative reaction. He's still the Devils' most valuable center. He is a strong two-way player who is money on faceoffs and excellent shorthanded. A good puck possession guy to have on the forecheck. I think it's just about finding the right combo. Parise made it easier because he was so skilled. Until they are able to plug someone in, it'll be a challenge for Zajac offensively. You have to surround him with one skill player and one energy guy. If you took Elias and Clowe, that might work. But I can't say for sure if that's what they want. Elias and Jagr have chemistry. So, you don't break it up. 

Henrique has increased expectations. His 2012 playoffs puts more pressure on him along with the new contract. Sometimes, fans expectations can be unrealistic. He's still just a third-year player. I'd say 20 goals and 50 points is reasonable.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#39 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

I'd actually bet my house that they will.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#40 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'd actually bet my house that they will.

I'd take you up on that bet. Neither guy is proven away from their old linemates who are no longer with the team. I almost guarantee one will come back to their old level of production (not sure which), but both is a tough bet to take. I absolutely hope they both kill it though because I happen to be a big fan of each one.

oKCiNj.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users