233 replies to this topic

#221 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

i mean... the last 4 games... one play or one fvck up made the difference. We litteraly could have won and be 4-1-0 easily. 

That's what I've learned watching the playoffs. It's not about being a much better team, it's just about being better. Sometimes you see a club simply being one step ahead of their opponents all series long and they sweep the series. No blowouts, no shutouts, but they win 4-0. That's pretty much what's happening to the Devs now. They are always this bit worse. And they are going to lose a lot of points because of that seemingly small difference if their games doesn't change quickly.

#222 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I get the feeling some people seem to want it both ways.  Many of the same fans that (rightly) accused this team of being too slow to go through a generational change are now unhappy about generational growing pains.  I'm nowhere near enough of an expert to suggest what the coaching staff should or should not do, I can only observe some things that (to me, anyway) seem fairly obvious.

The team lost a lot of firepower all at once.  Regardless of how one feels about ##s 17, 23, 9 and 12, there's no denying these were experienced players, who at least had been around the block a few times, played under a lot of different conditions against different teams.  They were replaced by new people who are learning to play in the NHL and, more importantly, learning to play with each other.  This takes time.  In hockey, like in any sport or any job, there is a learning curve.  We may very well have another bad season or two, but talent takes time to develop.  The other option is to try and hang everything on the same old people and end up like Philly.

Who was the number 12?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#223 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

That's what I've learned watching the playoffs. It's not about being a much better team, it's just about being better. Sometimes you see a club simply being one step ahead of their opponents all series long and they sweep the series. No blowouts, no shutouts, but they win 4-0. That's pretty much what's happening to the Devs now. They are always this bit worse. And they are going to lose a lot of points because of that seemingly small difference if their games doesn't change quickly.

The gap between the best team in the league, and the worst isn't as big as some think.  This isn't a CCCP vs USA in 1980 type of gap here.  If the bad Panthers plays a good game, even they can beat the Hawks if they play a bad game.  We saw it last night when the Panthers clobbered the Pens.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#224 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Who was the number 12?

Rolston i assume

www.SterioDesign.com

#225 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

yup a lot of what fvcked us over is bad D coverage and leaving guys wide open against out goalie. Grabner, Hall, Monahan... those 3 bad plays killed our game.

well that + our guys not able to score a single penalty shot / SO, it's really a concern

www.SterioDesign.com

#226 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Rolston i assume

Was he really that big of a blow?  I mean fans were begging any team to take him.   :lol:

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#227 flyboyike

flyboyike

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Who was the number 12?

Pony.

#228 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

I get the feeling some people seem to want it both ways. Many of the same fans that (rightly) accused this team of being too slow to go through a generational change are now unhappy about generational growing pains. I'm nowhere near enough of an expert to suggest what the coaching staff should or should not do, I can only observe some things that (to me, anyway) seem fairly obvious.

The team lost a lot of firepower all at once. Regardless of how one feels about ##s 17, 23, 9 and 12, there's no denying these were experienced players, who at least had been around the block a few times, played under a lot of different conditions against different teams. They were replaced by new people who are learning to play in the NHL and, more importantly, learning to play with each other. This takes time. In hockey, like in any sport or any job, there is a learning curve. We may very well have another bad season or two, but talent takes time to develop. The other option is to try and hang everything on the same old people and end up like Philly.

Replaced by new people learning to play in the NHL? Which one of Ryder, clowe, Schneider, jagr and olesz is learning to play in the NHL?

Edited by DevsMan84, 12 October 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#229 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Pony.

Poni was useless last year.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#230 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

yeah Poni leaving was a bit like Sykora leaving... sucks but totally replaceable BUT not for the same price. 21 goals for like 500k that was one hell of a deal that year.

Edited by SterioDesign, 12 October 2013 - 07:29 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#231 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

he was the biggest useless bag of sh!t we could have been stuck with last year.. complete garbage.. so glad that bum isnt with us this year
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#232 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

he was the biggest useless bag of sh!t we could have been stuck with last year.. complete garbage.. so glad that bum isnt with us this year

No need to trash him like that man.  lol

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#233 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:37 AM

Somewhat erratic in the third. Flames had the early edge with shots 6-1. Then the Devs had that one long shift by Jagr, Elias and Zubrus that should've resulted in a goal. Instead, Calgary blocked shots and they didn't give up a shot. That was the game.

Hell, they got a 2 on 1 out of it and the only shot of the sequence

#234 flyboyike

flyboyike

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Replaced by new people learning to play in the NHL? Which one of Ryder, clowe, Schneider, jagr and olesz is learning to play in the NHL?

Jagr is probably learning how not to forget how to play in the NHL, but that's a whole separate conversation. :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users