#1 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

http://regressing.de...dium=socialflow

Personally, I completely agree. They are useless and a waste of a roster spot. Should fighting be banned though?

Edited by mrthemike, 11 October 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#2 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

http://regressing.de...dium=socialflow

Personally, I completely agree. They are useless and a waste of a roster spot. Should fighting be banned though?

I struggle with this one because my mind agrees with the author of this article, but I like watching the occasional fight. The staged, off the faceoff, enforcer vs enforcer stuff I could do without.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

I don't mind fighting when there's some real animosity behind it.  The canned fighting of the Jansenn v. PL3 types are just boring.

I like the idea of giving players a certain amount of fights (let's say five) a year before they get ten game suspensions. 

ADDENDUM:  And the team should get a $100,000 fine for each player that's suspended for going over their fight quota.

Edited by Daniel, 11 October 2013 - 02:51 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

I love fighting and wish it would stay in the game though I think it will be phased out till it's basically non-existent. The so called "staged" fighting gets my blood boiling as much as a spontaneous bout. This will never happen because fighting is going away but I wish the instigator and the new "don't take your helmet off" rule would go away.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

This isn't quite on topic, but is certainly relevant: Did anybody catch the Frontline episode about CTE in NFL players?

Edited by ATLL765, 11 October 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#6 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Agree with what's been said so far.  The staged, enforcer vs. enforcer fights are meaningless.

However, when someone goes over the line with a cheap shot, and a non-enforcer immediately faces off with the offending player to take him to task, I'm all for it.  Eye for an eye.

#7 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

I like having big, tough guys around for protection, but I'd rather they be players with some skill. A real goon is a waste of a roster spot.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#8 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

My two favorite Devils fights, Niedermayer and Kovi, two guys that arent fighters or goons and only fight when absolutely PO'd..so maybe we dont need the goons

#9 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

I like having big, tough guys around for protection, but I'd rather they be players with some skill. A real goon is a waste of a roster spot.

I definitely miss the more skilled goons. Guys like Probert and McSorley were definitely goons, but they could contribute to a team game. I feel like that style of player is very rare these days. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#10 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

It would be nice to have enforcers that could actually play hockey. Seems like nowadays all the goons can just barely fight.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#11 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Staged, No! But real anger where you want to punch your tv because someone like Domi just blindsided your best defenseman
https://www.google.c....53899372,d.eWU

Then Hell yes!

#12 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I like having fighters who are also good at hockey.  Chris Neil would be ideal.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#13 dmitri

dmitri

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

...guys that arent fighters or goons and only fight when absolutely PO'd..so maybe we dont need the goons

I agree... Remember, that the famous Detroit-Colorado brawl started with Larionov jumping Forsberg.

The Official Keeper of the Devils Anthem: <a href="http://www.songfacts...=1456&">Runnin' with the Devil by Van Halen</a>

#14 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Sal's scrap against the oilers the other night was a good example of acceptable fighting. Guy crashes goalie, Zid takes him to task, guy pushes back, Sal comes to his aid.
Pre-meditated, goon vs goon stuff is nonsense and takes away from the credibility of the game.

Although one of the devils (I think it was carter) had a good line following one if the line brawls against the rangers saying that prust, rupp et al wanted to go out and bang people early to set the tone. The good guys stood up and challenged them therefore getting them off the ice for 5 mins and settled things down.,

#15 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

I had the same debate with my dad after he saw this article: http://www.theglobea...rticle14850429/

Bobby Orr wrote it and says there is still a place for fighting. My dad agrees. I say they are useless and create incidents. Example from our first game of the season.Tanner Glass who is "protecting" Crosby by hitting Sal and Larsson from behind and forcing one of the Devils skill guys (kind of -- Clowe) to fight him in an incident that wouldn't have happened if he wasn't "enforcing".

Posted Image

#16 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

I had the same debate with my dad after he saw this article: http://www.theglobea...rticle14850429/

Bobby Orr wrote it and says there is still a place for fighting. My dad agrees. I say they are useless and create incidents. Example from our first game of the season.Tanner Glass who is "protecting" Crosby by hitting Sal and Larsson from behind and forcing one of the Devils skill guys (kind of -- Clowe) to fight him in an incident that wouldn't have happened if he wasn't "enforcing".

And I was glad that we had a bug guy (Clowe) ready to protect Sal after the hit.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#17 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Lot people like hockey because we allow fighting. Their is a place for fighting. But there's a time and place for it.

#18 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

My two favorite Devils fights, Niedermayer and Kovi, two guys that arent fighters or goons and only fight when absolutely PO'd..so maybe we dont need the goons
[/size][/font][/background], sans-serif][size=9]
[/size][/font][/background], sans-serif][size=9]

kovalchuk was a truck though his legs stregnth how he just whipped people around like that was great
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users