Damn, what an overpayment

#122 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

What a horrible a deal for the Islandrers. Moulsen will put just as many point as Vanek for millions of dollars less. Does Garth Snow fear success??? They were finally going in the right direction till now. Good play for the sabers.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#123 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Moulson is fking better wtf!!!

#124 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Horrible deal for the Isles, unless Vanek resigns. And even if he does, they still gave up a sh!tload.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#125 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

This just helped the Devils.

#126 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Holy sh!t what a terrible trade for the isles. I can't even believe this happened. Thank god we weren't the ones to give up our whole team.

Vanek for moulson is a pretty level trade. . But you throw in two great pics??? Wowwww Buffalo with the heist!

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#127 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

I guess Snow will have an idea if he can re-sign him by the deadline or he'll have the option to move him again to recoup his picks.

#128 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

What are the Isles doing?  They're replacing Moulson with Vanek and losing two draft picks.  Why not just keep Moulson?

Moulson is fking better wtf!!!

I think this trade sucks for the Isles too, but there is no way Moulson is better than Vanek.

This just helped the Devils.

How did this help the Devils?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#129 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

isnt Matt Moulson the lead singer for the Foo Fighters during the off season? He doesnt even need to play hockey!

#130 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

What are the Isles doing?  They're replacing Moulson with Vanek and losing two draft picks.  Why not just keep Moulson?

I think this trade sucks for the Isles too, but there is no way Moulson is better than Vanek.

How did this help the Devils?

If Vanek bolts next season then the Islanders gave a sh!tload for NOTHING

n2eg.jpg

#131 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

If Vanek bolts next season then the Islanders gave a sh!tload for NOTHING

But how does that help the Devils?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#132 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

who let him back?

milbury17s-1-web.jpg

#133 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

I like this deal for both sides. Is the upgrade from Moulson to Vanek truly worth a 1st and 2nd? No. But the Islanders smell blood in Metro divison and want to make a run, so I respect them for making a ballsy move. Head to head, Vanek is the more skilled player. Even without the 2 picks, the Islanders still have a healthy amount stocked for the next 2 drafts:

Islanders Draft Picks
2014: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th (PHI), 5th, 6th, 7th
2015: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

Islanders still need to improve in goal though. Also, I wouldn't put it past the Islanders to retain Vanek. I believe their tv deal is good for them (like the Devils), they are reported to receive money from the Barclay's Center for the move, and they'll be eligible for revenue sharing under the new CBA. The Islanders are in a good place cap wise and they should no longer be a floor team moving forward and they should be able to increase their budget too.

I really like this deal for Buffalo. They'll have the chance to extend Moulson or move him for even more picks. They are pretty well stocked for the next 2 drafts:

Sabres Draft Picks
2014: 1st, 1st (NYI), 2nd, 2nd (LA), 2nd (MIN), 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th
2015: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (LA), 2nd (NYI), 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

Sabres with 5 picks in the first 2 rounds of the 2014 draft. Probably add more when they move Miller and potentially Moulson.

In the end I'd say bold, risky but good move for the Islanders, great move for the Sabres.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#134 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

This is a marketing move for the push when they move to Brooklyn

Moulson and Vanek will give you similar production; the Isles paid a 1st and a 2nd for a relatively minor upgrade IMHO

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#135 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Oh right, so they're in full rebuild mode, but they're looking to get draft picks for a draft 2-3 years away.....and how exactly do you figure Enroth is almost as good despite having a significantly lower career sv%? You're never gonna get any kind of a guarantee that a player will re-sign, so that's pointless.

Because Enroth has played for perpetual basement dwellers with a defense worse than ours, and Schneider has been on cup favorite teams in front of a world class defense. Enroth is also younger and still developing, Schneider is in his prime. I never said there could be a guaranteed extended contract, i said considering Vanek would be locked up to a milti year deal, id do it. I dont know how many times i gotta say this is purely hypothetical, and i would like to see it. Why wouldnt buffalo want to hoard draft picks for the next few seasons? How is that not a favorable approach for a team in full rebuild? Id sure as hell want the Devils to have multiple top round picks for the next few drafts. I dont see the disadvantage.

Edited by thecoffeecake, 27 October 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#136 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,907 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think Vanek is better than Moulson - Moulson is a decent goals-only sort of player, Vanek is just a better one.  It's not worth the payment in picks for the upgrade, but I think they have a good shot to re-sign him.  Not that re-signing him is a great move, but the Islanders have a lot of young players and can handle a bad contract to some degree.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#137 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

All they gave up was Moulson. He was a solid finisher for them posting 3 consecutive 30 goal seasons. But played with Tavares, who he was friendly with when he arrived. He just went from the penthouse to NHL purgatory. There's not even a guarantee he'll stay past the deadline. The Sabres are terrible. Both players are in their final year. For the Islanders, it's a no brainer. A full year to pitch Brooklyn to Vanek. I don't know why he wouldn't be motivated. A chance to get back to the playoffs and maybe make a run in a weak division.

The draft picks aren't bad especially if the Isles make the playoffs. All they gave up was a first rounder this year. Second round the next year. It's solid value. But when you have elite prospects like Strome sitting in Brideport, it's worth the risk.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#138 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

It will be interesting to see who else the Sabres move. UFA's that should have some value include Moulson, Ott, Tallinder, and Miller. Stafford is only signed thru 2014-15 too so he could be a candidate to be moved.

The Sabres could really have an incredible turn around given their current prospect pool that Hockey Prospectus ranked 3rd and the quality of their under 22 players that Hockey Prospectus also mentions in that link. Plus all the draft picks they already have over the next 2 years and the more they can add if they trade some of those upcoming UFA's. Hodgson and Enroth are both fairly young too.

Have to figure the Sabres will get their pick of C Sam Reinhart, D Aaron Ekblad, or C William Nylander too.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#139 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

But how does that help the Devils?

My God you are argumentative.  

But anyway, this seems like a good deal for the Sabres.  They can probably flip Mouslon at the deadline for a 1st or 2nd.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#140 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

My God you are argumentative.  

But anyway, this seems like a good deal for the Sabres.  They can probably flip Mouslon at the deadline for a 1st or 2nd.

I wasn't arguing.  I was just asking a question.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users