195 replies to this topic

#141 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

At first glance, it seems even, but wow, Sabres made out like bandits on this one when you think about the 1st and 2nd.

#142 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

I don't see any way in which this isn't the right risk to take for the Islanders.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#143 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

Huge return for Buffalo, I cannot believe they pulled that off. But damn, Vanek + Tavares will be a deadly combo this year.

#144 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

awesome win for buffalo

Top scorers since 2009: 
1. Stamkos 192 
2. Ovechkin 162 
3. Marleau 136 
4. Perry 134 
5. Kessel 126 
10. Moulson 118 
18, Vanek 110

vanek is just a scorer and moulson is a master of thrash pucks (i think this type of players are about 10-15 players in the league) good working player
when matt was on the ice - islanders have ONLY FOUR goals in their net in this season 

matt is better than vanek and want less money. and vanek is broken glass man (matt is the man of steel)

and islanders give some good picks for that

Mr. Cnowey, what went on in your head
Mr. Cnowey, did you talk with the dead

Edited by Guadana, 28 October 2013 - 02:47 AM.

best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#145 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

I don't get this trade. Moulson is pretty bad without Tavares, but he almost never played without him, so that doesn't matter. When he played with Tavares, he was as good at scoring as Vanek, so in that department it's a wash. Vanek can create his own offense, so that's good, but I doubt we'll see a significant uptick in his offense (or Tavares'). If Tavares becomes injured and Vanek carries the team, then it's another matter.

The Isles gave up a first, a second, a top liner (on their team, at least) for a top liner. Usually you see picks & prospects for top line talent, but the Isles are a top 10 team in scoring. We all know it isn't their problem, it's that they give up as many goals as they score. Then I'd understand shipping off your top line winger. But this is the type of move a contender makes, and with the Isles' goaltending they should be happy to make the dance.

And they're both UFAs, one who will be hilariously overpriced and one which will also be overpriced but also needs a true #1 C to dish him the pucks. I guess Buffalo wins the trade when they trade Moulson again for more assets.

Edited by Marshall, 28 October 2013 - 04:37 AM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#146 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

the islander fans probably think theyve hit the jack pot right now.. until he bolts out of there next season and theyre left with nothing.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#147 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

I think the acquisition is very much more "psychological" for the Islanders.  Garth Snow knows this.  Bringing in an "elite level" winger in the likes of Vanek gives the team and the fan base a much needed "expectation boost" with regards to their performance this year.   

I wouldn't say it is exactly the same as the "Kovalchuk / Mogilny / Gilmour Effect" but close in comparison.  Acquiring Vanek raises the stakes for the Islanders.

If, by February, the Islanders are still mediocre, Vanek gets unloaded for the 1st / 2nd pick again. 

Moulson, on the other hand, will not command a first-round pick at the trade deadline if Buffalo should decide to unload him.

#148 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

i think with the addition of vanek the isles will have a pretty lethal team.. theyre already pretty decent again this year.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#149 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Isles probably overpaid a bit. I guess the best way to put it is I would be disappointed if the devils brought in vanek at that price. Maybe that's just because we've been burned recently by high profile guys leaving in the offseason.

If he doesn't resign and the isles don't win a playoff round it will be a mistake.

#150 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

The Isles are on the rise, and with a new home on the horizon Vanek may well want to be the main man on a (much better than his old) team in a new arena. Expensive piece, but I think it's too early to say it was a mistake on the order of your average Philly trade.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#151 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

The Isles are on the rise, and with a new home on the horizon Vanek may well want to be the main man on a (much better than his old) team in a new arena. Expensive piece, but I think it's too early to say it was a mistake on the order of your average Philly trade.

only time will tell if he bolts in FA at the end of the season then obvioisly it was a mistake if he sticks around and really connects with the team then obviously it worked out fine.. enless you can see the future no one here knows
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#152 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Vanek isn't going to be main man on the Isles though. That's Tavares and he's going to be THE guy there for a while. Only way Isles get good value out of this is if Moulson was a product of Tavares and Vanek re-signs on a good deal. Even then, Moulson+1st+2nd is A LOT to give up for Vanek.

#153 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

only time will tell if he bolts in FA at the end of the season then obvioisly it was a mistake if he sticks around and really connects with the team then obviously it worked out fine.. enless you can see the future no one here knows

Thanks for that insightful post :)

Vanek isn't going to be main man on the Isles though. That's Tavares and he's going to be THE guy there for a while. Only way Isles get good value out of this is if Moulson was a product of Tavares and Vanek re-signs on a good deal. Even then, Moulson+1st+2nd is A LOT to give up for Vanek.

It was a lot, absolutely. But if he gets them to the 2nd round, or 3rd... then you pay the price without asking the cost. They have a new arena they are going to have to fill, and winning will definitely help that. As for whether or not he or Tavares becomes 'the main man' or one of a few 'main men' that will play itself out. Bottom line for him is the Isles are on the rise to an elite level and moving to a bigger market where he has a chance of making more in endorsements and other intangibles than he would have had in Buffalo. On the team side, if he clicks with the team and they all win together then the FA stuff will work itself out, he'll get paid and the team's bottom line will improve at the same time. It's all good for him if the team keeps getting better and he busts his ass to play their system. If I were an Isles fan I would be cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#154 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Dumb trade for the isles in my opinion. Obviously of he re-signs with them it's alot better but this trade didnt address their needs as a team. They could have used their assets to bring in some good D or goaltending. Instead they essentially replace Moulson with Vanek who is not much better. Plus Vanek is extremely inconsistent and injury prone. I'm really hoping people don't think this makes the isles a serious threat.

#155 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Depends on what they do with him. Is he going to play with Johnny T? Or is he going to play on a different line? If they split them up I think it would work out well for the Isles. Two guys you can build two lines around. Vanek seems like a guy who has been the go to guy on his own line while Moulson just put up big numbers with Tavares. 

#156 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

The Isles have been drafting players for a billion years and have prospects everywhere. They need to take a risk that they can convince Vanek to stay. They haven't lost much: they don't need the picks.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#157 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Vanek's wife is from Minnesota and as we all know NHL players are living by the mantra of happy wife, happy life.  

0% chance he signs with the Islanders.

#158 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

eventually Minnesota is gonna run out of cap space and the home boys are gonna have to settle elsewhere 

#159 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

eventually Minnesota is gonna run out of cap space and the home boys are gonna have to settle elsewhere 

That's when they'll all start flocking to the Rangers and Leafs.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#160 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

That's when they'll all start flocking to the Rangers and Leafs.

hopefully they'll be old and washed up too !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users