#301 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Yes, yes I do.

I quoted what you said in my post, I know how to read and Gelinas and Larsson were not our best pairing. My comment was more directed at how silly it was to say that they have the potential to be a Suter-Weber level pairing based on their play in 3 games where they were very protected in their match ups.

I still think Matt could have been a good D-man. It really was some bad timing when he broke his ankle and then possibly botched fixing it.  He is gonna have a hard time getting into Tampa's lineup on a routine basis.

#302 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

I still think Matt could have been a good D-man. It really was some bad timing when he broke his ankle and then possibly botched fixing it.  He is gonna have a hard time getting into Tampa's lineup on a routine basis.

I agree, but calling him the next Rafalski was still reaching. He was always gonna have it hard being such a small guy.

He's got pretty good AHL numbers though. 24 points in 55 games last year. Already has 8 in 5 games this year. Not quite his 50 point rookie season, but good numbers nonetheless.

#303 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

speaking of ex-D men   Hmmm, I wonder Where would Johhy oduya fit in to our D pairings now?

#304 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yes, yes I do.

I quoted what you said in my post, I know how to read and Gelinas and Larsson were not our best pairing. My comment was more directed at how silly it was to say that they have the potential to be a Suter-Weber level pairing based on their play in 3 games where they were very protected in their match ups.

It's called a bold prediction.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#305 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

speaking of ex-D men   Hmmm, I wonder Where would Johhy oduya fit in to our D pairings now?

I dont know but Johnny's got an assist tonight and Sheldon Brookbank has a goal for Chicago as they're beating the Wild 3-1

#306 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Oduya has improved a lot since he got traded for Kovy.  But we really don't need him.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#307 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

What about Stralman? I really liked what I saw from him. He has carved himself out a nice regular spot in NY.

#308 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

PDB taking sideways shot at Larsson when talking about Gelinas earning his shot at the NHL?

"He’s come up the right way. He’s paid his dues in the minors. He hasn’t been handed any jobs" - See more at: http://blogs.northje...h.G0P8Z5zx.dpuf

Edited by capo, 29 October 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#309 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

PDB taking sideways shot at Larsson when talking about Gelinas earning his shot at the NHL?

"He’s come up the right way. He’s paid his dues in the minors. He hasn’t been handed any jobs" - See more at: http://blogs.northje...h.G0P8Z5zx.dpuf

He's the one who played Larsson at the time. If Larsson didn't pay his dues, it's because he didn't make him do it.

#310 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Reading into things too much imo

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#311 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Reading into things too much imo

PDB might be taking a shot, but Im not buying the larsson is a victim spin, not one bit!  kid is an NHL player and needs to go 100% all year round. from what Ive seen, he needs a kick in the pants. and he's been getting just that. good for petey.  and it looks like adam is responding now!  his two most solid games... in a row!

#312 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

PDB might be taking a shot, but Im not buying the larsson is a victim spin, not one bit!  kid is an NHL player and needs to go 100% all year round. from what Ive seen, he needs a kick in the pants. and he's been getting just that. good for petey.  and it looks like adam is responding now!  his two most solid games... in a row!

Adam doesn't seem to be the guy who responds to PDB's style of tough love. Different people need different types of coaching, no matter if they're NHLers or not. I don't know what Stevens is like, but I'd assume he's tougher on players than Robinson who to me seemed to be all about positive reinforcement. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#313 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Adam doesn't seem to be the guy who responds to PDB's style of tough love. Different people need different types of coaching, no matter if they're NHLers or not. I don't know what Stevens is like, but I'd assume he's tougher on players than Robinson who to me seemed to be all about positive reinforcement. 

dont know, but I have a hunch they played it nice nice for a year or more and now they said "too fricken bad"  if the effort isnt up to devils standards he sat, when the effort shows he plays. he's a big boy getting decent pay, time to man up.  either way Im pleased at what Im seeing

#314 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Larsson is a couple score sheet performances away from having the kind of confidence that Gelinas has, and that confidence is huge. He has shown that he has the passing ability, defensive ability, and he has a very Rafalski-esque shot that stays low, gets through, and is very deflectable near the net. He just needs to keep playing, keep positive, and respond well to the pressure that is put on him. NJ is going to have some assets on the blue line that will be a real threat in the offensive zone and its going to pay dividends keeping other teams honest 5 on 5 and on the Powerplay. Confidence is the main quality that separates Larsson and Gelinas right now.

815631765.gif

#315 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

I think what should be intersting is how this shakes out over the next 2-3 season as thet vets either leave or retire. I'm actually pretty excited to see if Merril (sp?) lives up to the hype and if Gelinas is the real deal long term.

#316 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

I can't help but think maybe Larsson's improved play just comes from the training wheels coming off and not being paired with a player who is there to "look after him". When you put a young guy with an even less experienced guy, they seem to sh!t the bed or mature faster. Definitely looks like Larsson has done some growing up the last few games. Playing like the papa bear not a little cub.

#317 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

I think what should be intersting is how this shakes out over the next 2-3 season as thet vets either leave or retire. I'm actually pretty excited to see if Merril (sp?) lives up to the hype and if Gelinas is the real deal long term.

Really looking forward to seeing how Merrill does when he gets here. His AHL numbers are really good so far although his sample size is only 30 games or so.

Posted Image

#318 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,514 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

People upset with Larsson should consider Gudbranson and Luke Schenn - Gudbranson looks like a back-pairing defenseman at age 21 (soon to be 22), and Luke Schenn is a healthy scratch on a bad Philadelphia team.  Top 10 picks aren't locks to be special players. 

Edited by Triumph, 08 November 2013 - 09:54 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#319 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

dont know, but I have a hunch they played it nice nice for a year or more and now they said "too fricken bad"  if the effort isnt up to devils standards he sat, when the effort shows he plays. he's a big boy getting decent pay, time to man up.  either way Im pleased at what Im seeing

Watch him man up like nobody else!

He's gonna man up all over himself!

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#320 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

People upset with Larsson should consider Gudbranson and Luke Schenn - Gudbranson looks like a back-pairing defenseman at age 21 (soon to be 22), and Luke Schenn is a healthy scratch on a bad Philadelphia team.  Top 10 picks aren't locks to be special players. 

That doesn't make me feel all that better.  It's like telling the Blues that they shouldn't have been disappointed with Erik Johnson because he could have been Alexander Daigle.

The thing makes Schenn such a disaster was that the Flyers gave up on JVR for him.  Especially when it was clear for a lot of people to see that Schenn had all the hallmarks of being a disappointment while he was in Toronto, while JVR was a 20 goal scorer in his second pro year.

EDIT:  And yes I realize that Erik Johnson netted the Blues a pretty good return in a trade, but you get the idea.

Edited by Daniel, 08 November 2013 - 10:23 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users