332 replies to this topic

#321 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

That doesn't make me feel all that better. It's like telling the Blues that they shouldn't have been disappointed with Erik Johnson because he could have been Alexander Daigle.

The thing makes Schenn such a disaster was that the Flyers gave up on JVR for him. Especially when it was clear for a lot of people to see that Schenn had all the hallmarks of being a disappointment while he was in Toronto, while JVR was a 20 goal scorer in his second pro year.

The thing that makes Luke Schenn a disaster is that he is actually bad at hockey. Larsson's hockey IQ is off the charts while Schenn's is rather low

#322 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

That doesn't make me feel all that better.  It's like telling the Blues that they shouldn't have been disappointed with Erik Johnson because he could have been Alexander Daigle.

The thing makes Schenn such a disaster was that the Flyers gave up on JVR for him.  Especially when it was clear for a lot of people to see that Schenn had all the hallmarks of being a disappointment while he was in Toronto, while JVR was a 20 goal scorer in his second pro year.

EDIT:  And yes I realize that Erik Johnson netted the Blues a pretty good return in a trade, but you get the idea.

The point is that players aren't always successful in the top 10 and it's not bad scouting or otherwise that makes that be so or not so.  Brett Connolly hasn't made the Lightning, Ryan Strome hasn't made the Islanders, etc. etc.  You're not guaranteed a star player.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#323 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

The point is that players aren't always successful in the top 10 and it's not bad scouting or otherwise that makes that be so or not so.  Brett Connolly hasn't made the Lightning, Ryan Strome hasn't made the Islanders, etc. etc.  You're not guaranteed a star player.

You know, man, it could be worse. A woman could cut off your pecker while you're sleeping and toss it out the window of a moving car.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#324 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

It's been quite clear to me that since he was paired with Gelinas, he's looked much better. I assume he has played softer minutes than when he was paired with Greene, but still. Maybe that's the vote of confidence he needed, to be The Guy™ on a pairing, rather than be babysat.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#325 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

It's been quite clear to me that since he was paired with Gelinas, he's looked much better. I assume he has played softer minutes than when he was paired with Greene, but still. Maybe that's the vote of confidence he needed, to be The Guy™ on a pairing, rather than be babysat.

Yea, it does seem that way. Last night on a partial 3 vs. 2 when he was motioning for gelinas to fade back and get the guys coming in late (led to the shot block that hurt Gelinas) was great communication. Larsson clearly is a heady player and I think putting him with a less experienced player is forcing him to be the one teaching and it is giving him confidence. The best way to learn is to teach.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#326 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

I think Greene has looked better since the split too

#327 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Think it's a good place to point out Larsson and gelly had both primary assists off their point shot deflections. Good things happen when firing them to the net.

Admittedly, I missed the game but did these two play together again?

#328 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Think it's a good place to point out Larsson and gelly had both primary assists off their point shot deflections. Good things happen when firing them to the net.

Admittedly, I missed the game but did these two play together again?

Yes. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#329 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think that pairing is good for him, he's the boss of the two, directing Gelinas around.    Instead of maybe being passive and deferring to the vet he's playing with, he's the vet.

#330 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Will be interesting to see how Larsson does tonight if Gelinas is indeed out of the lineup.

#331 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

I think that pairing is good for him, he's the boss of the two, directing Gelinas around. Instead of maybe being passive and deferring to the vet he's playing with, he's the vet.

Totally agree. Takes the training wheels off. Developing into a papa bear defensemen

#332 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

Larsson is turning into that player we need going forward.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#333 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

larsson is a gem

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users