332 replies to this topic

#21 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

It's pretty obvious, to me, that Larry Robinson had a big part in Larsson's good looking rookie campaign.

Well that and actually, you know, letting him play.  Basically his entire game now consists of throwing weak blueline shots toward net in the offensive zone and being hesitant/getting coned in the defensive zone.  His first 50+ games he was a lot better in part cause they had no choice but to trust him.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#22 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

I dunno, you can tell by his play and demeanor that he lacks a certain confidence/swagger. I agree that he shouldn't have to be spoonfed everything, but he strikes me as a guy that doesn't respond well to criticism. I'd bet he needs a "dad" type coach rather than a disciplinarian like PDB and Stevens.

I don't think Stevens is a great mentor.  Larry is one of the best teachers in the game.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#23 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

I dunno, you can tell by his play and demeanor that he lacks a certain confidence/swagger. I agree that he shouldn't have to be spoonfed everything, but he strikes me as a guy that doesn't respond well to criticism. I'd bet he needs a "dad" type coach rather than a disciplinarian like PDB and Stevens.

agree 

#24 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Well that and actually, you know, letting him play.  Basically his entire game now consists of throwing weak blueline shots toward net in the offensive zone and being hesitant/getting coned in the defensive zone.  His first 50+ games he was a lot better in part cause they had no choice but to trust him.

I think Pete is coddling him too much.  He needs to be given free will to play his game.  I don't think he has been given that chance.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#25 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

I don't think he's a bust, but the speed problem will become quite an issue if he doesn't find a way to compensate. He seems to just play at too low of an energy level at times, which I don't like to see.

#26 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Larsson lost a ton of his upside after being hit by Simmonds a couple seasons ago.

#27 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm worried because I'm beginning to believe this as well. FW's couldn't generate squat tonight. What does Clowe supposed to do well? Whatever Gionta/Bernier had two years ago is gone. Offensively, we don't pose a threat at all. The Devils are not a team to be scarred of for sure. As much as I like PDB, & I hope I'm wrong, he'll lose his job by mid Nov. There's a reason we are where we are. 

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#28 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

I think Pete is coddling him too much.  He needs to be given free will to play his game.  I don't think he has been given that chance.

I wouldn't use coddling to describe that.  More like suffocating.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#29 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Larsson lost a ton of his upside after being hit by Simmonds a couple seasons ago.

I dont know how old you are, but remember when Pierre Turgeon was an Islander and got destroyed by Dale Hunters cheap shot, well he never was the same after that

Larsson also got rocked by PK Subban, that messed him up too

#30 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Larsson is already a pretty good #4 defenseman, unfortunately on this team he is being used at times as basically a #2 (except on the PK). If thats all he ends up being then yes he will be a bust, albeit a servicible one.

But I have to believe at only 20 years old he will do some maturing and improve over the next 3-4 years.

Problem is most fans who are obsessed with prospects and youth don't have any patience with them.

#31 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

Larsson is already a pretty good #4 defenseman, unfortunately on this team he is being used at times as basically a #2 (except on the PK). If thats all he ends up being then yes he will be a bust, albeit a servicible one.

But I have to believe at only 20 years old he will do some maturing and improve over the next 3-4 years.

Problem is most fans who are obsessed with prospects and youth don't have any patience with them.

I think we'd have some more patience if we had a viable D as a stopgap while Larsson develops but we don't

#32 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Posted Image

#33 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

His favorite TV show was One Tree Hill. That explains it all to me.

#34 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

HE WAS NOT THE WORST DEFENSEMAN ON THE ICE, NOT EVEN THE SECOND WORST. THIS THREAD IS fvckING STUPID.

#35 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

He has zero mobility and absolutely no compete level.

Who, Salvador? Or are we talking about Volchenkov? Or Zidlicky when we have a lead?... Maybe Harrold?...

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

This is selective memory, thankfully that season is now 2 years in the past so we can all forget it properly.  Larsson made horrible giveaways routinely and was ridiculously overmatched on the power play - it's astounding that they even asked him to play the power play in that first season.  What max is saying is correct - neither Larsson's backward skating nor his turning seems to have gotten better.  Tonight was a rough night for him, but it was a tough night for a lot of the team.  Still, he's only 20, turning 21 soon - there's still plenty of time for him to get better.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#37 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

there's still plenty of time for him to get better.

I would agree, except that I don't see a real desire to play or improve. He doesn't strike me as a kid that if you call him in the summer to go skate, he does. You want rinkrats on your team. I remember whem Matt Duchene was drafted, they said he could name most players in the league and what sticks and patterns they used. He's into it. I just don't get that vibe from #5.

Also, fixing your skating is not an easy task.

Edited by hystyk28, 13 October 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

I would agree, except that I don't see a real desire to play or improve. He doesn't strike me as a kid that if you call him in the summer to go skate, he does. You want rinkrats on your team. I remember whem Matt Duchene was drafted, they said he could name most players in the league and what sticks and patterns they used. He's into it. I just don't get that vibe from #5.

Also, fixing your skating is not an easy task.

This is a cultural issue.  I heard a story about Larsson wanting to use the weight room the night he was drafted.  He seems like a very hard worker to me.  But he is European, so he is probably lazy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#39 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,873 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

Corey Pronman @coreypronman 50s

Not at all but it is safe to be concerned. RT @Serenitynow418: @coreypronman Is it safe to call Adam Larsson a bust?

I follow him and vice versa. He's pretty solid. I wouldn't give up on Larsson yet. It's Year 3. Defensemen take longer to develop. McIlrath still hasn't made it but partially due to injury. He's 21 and off to a good start with Hartford. Patience must be shown.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#40 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

Most defensemen take around 5 years to become what the team expects them to become.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users