46 replies to this topic

#21 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Let us not forget a few years back when Patty was a UFA and the rags offered him a contract, and he decided to stay here....nuff said

#22 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

do love elias.. one of the only loyal ones to stick around here his whole career.. definently under rated and doesnt get the recognition he should.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#23 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Let us not forget a few years back when Patty was a UFA and the rags offered him a contract, and he decided to stay here....nuff said

You mean, when he used a Rangers contract offer as leverage against Lou to get a better deal. Totally within his rights to do so, and it'd be foolish to hold ill will against him.

I love Patty as much as anyone, but there's no sense pretending that wasn't what was actually going on.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

You mean, when he used a Rangers contract offer as leverage against Lou to get a better deal. Totally within his rights to do so, and it'd be foolish to hold ill will against him.

I love Patty as much as anyone, but there's no sense pretending that wasn't what was actually going on.

Depending on who/what you believe, supposedly Elias would've signed with the Rangers, except that Sather refused to give him a no-trade clause. 

I've said this before, but I think there were definitely times where Elias wondered if he made the right decision in signing that 7-year deal and staying.  It's kind of being forgotten now, but the first two years of that deal were rough (mostly due to incredibly bad shooting luck)...at one point, from 2/17/07 to 11/10/07 (including the 2006-07 playoffs), he scored just 4 goals in 44 games, and was really starting to hear about it.  In his first 16 games of the 2007-08 season, he had 2 goals and 5 assists, and was a -7 to boot.  And he just looked completely lost at that point...and incredibly frustrated.  He spent so much time looking up at the ceiling as shot after shot after shot wasn't going in for him.  He must have felt so snakebit...it was like the hockey gods were purposely fvcking with him.  

Well, suffice it to say, he did turn it around.  He put up 18 goals and 32 assists in the final 58 games of his 2007-08 season, then put up 31 goals and 47 assists in 77 GP the following year.  But I think it's been hard on him at times during those seven years...I can't say exactly when it was, but at some point, I think he stopped wondering whether or not he should have stayed, simply made his peace with his decision, and truly embraced the possibility of being a career Devil.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 October 2013 - 06:28 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

everyone has bad streaks.. when was the last time zajac scored a goal? id like to know.. henrique too he has one for the season so far but when was the last time before that? players have to go out and see what other teams are willing to pay for them (example clarkson) .. at the end of a day it is nothing more then a business to 99% of them forget being loyal here or there it is all about the all mighty dollar just like everything else in this world.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#26 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

I was worried this was going to be a "Trade Patty!" panic thread.

Faith in njdevs slightly restored.

I though the same thing but instead got a nice breath of fresh air.  Long live St. Patty.

Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

everyone has bad streaks.. when was the last time zajac scored a goal? id like to know.. henrique too he has one for the season so far but when was the last time before that? players have to go out and see what other teams are willing to pay for them (example clarkson) .. at the end of a day it is nothing more then a business to 99% of them forget being loyal here or there it is all about the all mighty dollar just like everything else in this world.

Zajac and Henrique were never projected to be what Patrik was at his best.

Coming off that '05-'06 campaign (and numbers were definitely bloated that year, but Patrik looked terrific that season), it was a stunner how much Patrik struggled when his new deal began.  Bad streaks, sure, but 4 goals in 44 GP isn't just a bad streak...that's a half-season's worth of games of unbelievable futility for a guy who was being paid some serious coin at that time.  Fortunately the Devils were still finding ways to win...if they weren't, he would've gotten hammered a lot harder than he did during that stretch. 

Loyalty is what it is, in all sports...you have your rare Brodeur types who love where they are so much that they don't try to get every last nickel and dime out of their teams, then you have your guys who love where they are, but do want the max of their market value (no hometown discounts), then you have your guys who leave for sentimental reasons (to play in or near their hometown, etc), and then you have the guys who go to the highest bidder.  I don't think there's a right or wrong in these things anymore...I'm not in their position and I can't relate.  It's easy for fans to say things like "Everyone (or almost everyone) should be loyal", but these guys only get so many opportunities to decide where they're going to play...maybe they don't always base their decision on the right criteria, or simply make a bad one, but they at least get to make it one way or another.  When a player is drafted, it's not like he spent his childhood dreaming of playing for the team that took him.  Even if he has success for that team as a developing player, if he decides there's somewhere else he'd rather go, and isn't on a contract, who are we to call him disloyal for exercising a right he's earned?

It's not like they're tons of loyalty coming from the other side either, unless you consider owners who can't help themselves by offering insane long-term deals to whoever happens to be the best UFA on the market "loyal", in that they're making a serious term and money commitment (of course, when those deals start to go south, they start looking for any way they can find to get out of those deals...see Sather, Glen...and of course, the Flyers got out of those Richards and Carter contracts pretty quickly). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#28 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

I love Elias.  He's fantastic, smart, skilled

and he's not leading anyone out of a paper bag here.  His maturity has lead him to know he thinks it (leadership) sucks.  It's too confining mentally and he feels too much responsibility to share the truth which no one actually is encouraged to speak - that's the Marty culture.  Put on a happy face and buck everyone up.

Seriously  - that Beezer story in Marty's book said it all to me.  Beez bucks everyone up spouting REAL sh!t!  REAL UNPRODUCTIVE HAPPY HORSEsh!t  <_<   then Marty's panties get all bunched because Stevens says just play hockey.

TRUTH YOU F*CKERS!  It's based on truth, not lack of passion wh.. forget it... :argh:

Patty speaks the truth - just sometimes a littl etoo much from his prospective too much.  So.. Love Elias -- just wish he could lead.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 15 October 2013 - 08:57 AM.

I'm here for the party

#29 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

Patrik Elias is my favorite Devil of all-time hands down.  I think he is easily in the top 5 greatest Devils ever, but I would not say #1.

For that I would say it is probably Brodeur with Stevens a close 2nd, then Daneyko, then Elias and then Niedermayer.  Brodeur is not even in my top 10 personal favorite Devils of all time, but when any hockey fan thinks of the Devils, they immediately think of Marty.

No way should Daneyko be higher than Elias.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#30 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

agreed.. but as its only opinions to each their own i guess.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#31 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

Well in making my list there are 2 criteria: on-ice production and then loyaly/endearment.  Daneyko is light on the first part (thought he was always a solid stay-at-home defenseman), he was heavy on the second part.

Elias is my favorite player of all time in my personal list, I was just trying to do a little bit of seeing how he would rank compared to other Devils based on my two criteria.

#32 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

I'm in the "to each his own" camp.

Stevens, Brodeur, Elias, Niedermayer, Daneyko - these guys are all top of the line Devils.  I can't argue with anyone who loves them because each brings something totally different to the table and nothing is of less value than anything else.

I suppose because I wasn't really here for the early years I do sort of lump Driver, MacLean, with Holik and Brylin and others kind of second tier.

Shannahan is third tier

The only guy I have trouble with where to put is Madden. 

Edited by Pepperkorn, 16 October 2013 - 09:10 AM.

I'm here for the party

#33 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

All I have to say is that when Elias became the all time time point leader for the devils (Possibly the greatest event I have gotten to watch at the Rock) my wife gave me the go to name our son Patrick...we still have the Saint Patrick's day cap floating around our house.

Even though that night will be remembered as Marty's night, that 2nd period was all about Patty. I lost my SH!t when we came out in the green cap.

Edited by newarkdev01, 16 October 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#34 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

All I have to say is that when Elias became the all time time point leader for the devils (Possibly the greatest event I have gotten to watch at the Rock) my wife gave me the go to name our son Patrick...we still have the Saint Patrick's day cap floating around our house.

Even though that night will be remembered as Marty's night, that 2nd period was all about Patty. I lost my SH!t when we came out in the green cap.

now if this is true and you actually named your son after the guy.. well that is some other level stuff right there, you sir should be named the ultimate elias fan.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#35 JacobPaul1995

JacobPaul1995

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Patrik Elias IS the new Mr. Devil.

no question

1488744_662845367109224_1470841889_n.jpg

NEVER DOUBT THE DEVILS!!!

#1 Devils Fan. DJ Jersey Devil on 88.3 WSBU

#36 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hard to claim that he is Mr. Devil for a franchise that has been focused on solid defense before offenseive firepower. Its clear to me that Stevens, Niedermayer and Marty meant more to the franchise. Elias is great, but he's even greater in the minds of Devils fans because he has been the one consistent offensive weapon we've had.

If parise or kovalchuk stayed for the remainder of their careers, elias's legacy may not look as great as it does now (at least to me); because he was never as great as either of them, but was consistetly good, and obviously stayed when they didn't.

#37 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hard to claim that he is Mr. Devil for a franchise that has been focused on solid defense before offenseive firepower. Its clear to me that Stevens, Niedermayer and Marty meant more to the franchise. Elias is great, but he's even greater in the minds of Devils fans because he has been the one consistent offensive weapon we've had.

If parise or kovalchuk stayed for the remainder of their careers, elias's legacy may not look as great as it does now (at least to me); because he was never as great as either of them, but was consistetly good, and obviously stayed when they didn't.

Personally, I think Elias is more skilled than Parise.

#38 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Personally, I think Elias is more skilled than Parise.

probably so, but parise brought some things elias didn't. Either way, my arguement was not necessarily based on skill, but moreso the fact that had parise and kovalchuk stayed, elias would not be alone as the only top end forward who spent a siginificant amount of time with the franchise.

I think the fact that he is the ONLY forward who did lends alot to his legacy as a Devil.

PS: I don't want to make it seem that I'm trying to knock Elias... he's my favorite player.

Edited by dmann422, 10 November 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#39 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Parise and Elias are different types of players who did big things for us in their primes. We'll see if Parise can keep it up like Elias has.
Posted Image

#40 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

I've always been a huge Elias fan, but I hesitate to label him the second "Mr. Devil."

Daneyko earned that title not only by playing with the New Jersey Devils for his entire career but by going out and promoting the New Jersey Devils brand/name in the media and through fan relations. He bleeds the red, black and blue.

As far as on the ice, Elias is a New Jersey Devil through and through. But as far as off the ice, I've found Patrik to be a bit mercurial in that regard.

Brodeur might have more of a claim to being the second Mr. Devil than does Elias IMO. Although I admire them both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users