46 replies to this topic

#41 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hard to claim that he is Mr. Devil for a franchise that has been focused on solid defense before offenseive firepower. Its clear to me that Stevens, Niedermayer and Marty meant more to the franchise. Elias is great, but he's even greater in the minds of Devils fans because he has been the one consistent offensive weapon we've had.

If parise or kovalchuk stayed for the remainder of their careers, elias's legacy may not look as great as it does now (at least to me); because he was never as great as either of them, but was consistetly good, and obviously stayed when they didn't.

I'm not sure how old you are or if you got to watch the A-Line years but Elias in his prime was a better player than either Parise or Kovy IMO. Hell, even the last few years I think he's been more important to the team by making guys like Rolston, clarkson and an over the hill Sykora successful while the other two played on the "top line".

#42 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I'm not sure how old you are or if you got to watch the A-Line years but Elias in his prime was a better player than either Parise or Kovy IMO. Hell, even the last few years I think he's been more important to the team by making guys like Rolston, clarkson and an over the hill Sykora successful while the other two played on the "top line".

this right here.. he's most definitely one of those guys that makes the players around him better
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#43 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

Wow I'm starting to feel like stereodesign where nobody understands what I'm trying to say.

My point had nothing to do with skill. It was solely to point out that Elias IMO is elevated to an even greater level because he is the only top end forward to spend any significant amount of time with the franchise.

I don't care enough to argue who is better than who, although I am old enough to remember well before the a line days and I don't disagree that Elias is better than parise or kovy. But had either of them stayed (regardless of whether they are better or not), Elias's stature as the only great forward the franchise held onto would no longer exist.

#44 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Wow I'm starting to feel like stereodesign where nobody understands what I'm trying to say.

My point had nothing to do with skill. It was solely to point out that Elias IMO is elevated to an even greater level because he is the only top end forward to spend any significant amount of time with the franchise.

I don't care enough to argue who is better than who, although I am old enough to remember well before the a line days and I don't disagree that Elias is better than parise or kovy. But had either of them stayed (regardless of whether they are better or not), Elias's stature as the only great forward the franchise held onto would no longer exist.

I got what you were getting at once you clarified. Although I think Kovy was the more skilled forward in terms of physical skill, Elias has a hockey IQ that's off the charts, which is what makes him so good.

If Parise had stayed his whole career or signed an 8 year deal with us, he'd without a doubt be up there with Elias, especially if we won a Cup with him. Of course that never happened, so he can go screw himself. lol.

#45 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

IMO Elias has been our best forward for the duration. He is my favorite over all.

I do think today when you say NJ Devils you and everyone thinks Marty Brodeur.

Edited by LucifersDog, 12 November 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Elias has been a good-to-very good player for his career.  On another team, he could've had more points, maybe 50-60 more overall.  But he's not the kind of guy who jumps out at you if you're not a Devils fan.  If voters are able to see that Elias often brought more to the Devils than point totals (he's a +193 for his career), he may get into the Hall.  Getting to 1000 points (he needs 63 more) will probably help his cause, even more so if voters take into account that he wasn't always playing with the best offensive linemates or guys who complemented his game well.

Brodeur is going to go down as one of the best ever to play his position, a first-ballot Hall-Of-Famer.  Yes, he had some seasons where his regular season save%s were kind of meh, but like Daneyko has said, when you needed a big save, Brodeur would often come up with it, and in the '95, '00, and '03 Cup runs, he raised his game significantly (he was up and down in '01).  He did the same in 2012. 

Anyway, yes, Elias in the context of Devils hockey has been a terrific player, but there's a reason why Brodeur is thought of first among most.  Elias is a very good player.  Brodeur is one of the best of both his generation and the history of the NHL.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#47 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

IMO Elias has been our best forward for the duration. He is my favorite over all.
I do think today when you say NJ Devils you and everyone thinks Marty Brodeur.

because of all of the records he holds and what hes done he is the face of the team hes been around for a long time now as well.. and rightfully so he deserves to be the face of the team
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users