77 replies to this topic

#1 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Canadian born Chico Resch, former Islander, Flyer and Devil, has become a Jersey guy

Sunday, October 13, 2013

BY KARA YORIO

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Despite his history on the Islanders and hated rival Flyers, Devils fans and New Jersey natives claim Resch as one of their own. At least for another year.

This could be Resch's final season behind the mike, he said, at 65 with new team owners and a desire to do other things in his life, like travel with Diane.

"I think when you're a player, your body tells you or screams at you, 'Enough,' " Resch said. "Whereas in our business, other factors enter into it like wanting to do other things. We're not exactly sure of the timetable but it's going to be sooner rather than later."

See more at:

http://www.northjers...h.WcatdpgL.dpuf

#2 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

LET THE REPLACEMENT DISCUSSION COMMENCE!!!!

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#3 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Canadian born Chico Resch, former Islander, Flyer and Devil, has become a Jersey guy

Sunday, October 13, 2013

BY KARA YORIO

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Despite his history on the Islanders and hated rival Flyers, Devils fans and New Jersey natives claim Resch as one of their own. At least for another year.

This could be Resch's final season behind the mike, he said, at 65 with new team owners and a desire to do other things in his life, like travel with Diane.

"I think when you're a player, your body tells you or screams at you, 'Enough,' " Resch said. "Whereas in our business, other factors enter into it like wanting to do other things. We're not exactly sure of the timetable but it's going to be sooner rather than later."

See more at:

http://www.northjers...h.WcatdpgL.dpuf

If this is indeed his last season as color, this is probably the #1 reason why.

#4 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Finally.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#5 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

He's a great guy and the article is accurate in that he'll talk to anyone and is incredibly friendly, but I'd be lying if I said I think his on-air game hasn't been slipping lately...and he has his share of detractors who thought he didn't have much on-air game to begin with.   

And time IS short.  My dad is 64 going on 65, healthy in many respects but plagued with back miseries that are only getting worse.  Once you get into your 60s, you don't really know how long you're going to be able to do the things you've always said you'd "hope to get around to" someday.   

But yeah, though he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, I like Chico, but it DOES feel like it's time to bring someone else in.  If this is his last year, I hope his future endeavors all work out for him.    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#6 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

whenever he does retire there should definitely be a chico night

#7 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

There will be...I would expect his playing career to get mention too.  That guy went into every Devil season knowing his team didn't have a prayer and never complained about it, and that was after signing a multi-year deal with the Rockies where the owners at that time practically promised him that the franchise was going to make every effort to remain in Colorado, and that they were going to make a serious effort to improve the on-ice product (he was 33 years old at the time and still had prime years left).  Neither happened...by Year 2 of his deal the team was in NJ, and upon arriving it was clear that the Devils were going to take their sweet time in trying to become a decent team.  Like Hector Marini said (paraphrasing), "They were basically bringing other teams' 24th and 25th players.  You'd think a team like that wouldn't be very good.  Well, we weren't." 

But he gave it his all and tried to be a good mentor-type for the young guys that were slowly coming up through the system.  That's a lot of the reason why I've never been as hard on him, as far as his on-air performance goes, as others.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#8 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Bring back Doug Sulliman.  Worst color commentator ever.

#9 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Doesn't the arena already have dollar dog nights?

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#10 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

joe tortorella for announcer! we can finally watch instead of listen to mindless commentary.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#11 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Dano will be the new color man, IMO.

#12 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

There will be...I would expect his playing career to get mention too.  That guy went into every Devil season knowing his team didn't have a prayer and never complained about it, and that was after signing a multi-year deal with the Rockies where the owners at that time practically promised him that the franchise was going to make every effort to remain in Colorado, and that they were going to make a serious effort to improve the on-ice product (he was 33 years old at the time and still had prime years left).  Neither happened...by Year 2 of his deal the team was in NJ, and upon arriving it was clear that the Devils were going to take their sweet time in trying to become a decent team.  Like Hector Marini said (paraphrasing), "They were basically bringing other teams' 24th and 25th players.  You'd think a team like that wouldn't be very good.  Well, we weren't." 

But he gave it his all and tried to be a good mentor-type for the young guys that were slowly coming up through the system.  That's a lot of the reason why I've never been as hard on him, as far as his on-air performance goes, as others.

There are times where I get annoyed or pissed at Chico for his on-air performance, especially lately now that he doesn't have Doc there to reign him in.  However, the amount and level of hate he gets from here, twitter, facebook and other messaging boards sometimes can be only described as hurtful.  I met him many times in person and he is the sweetest, most friendly current or former professional athelete I have ever met in my life.

I will be there on Chico night.

#13 Microwavepizza

Microwavepizza

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

I will miss our lovable idiot. He's just one of those guys in hockey who is hard to hate. Regardless how overall bad his analysis is (was), it can be fun to try and decipher the nonsense that spews from his face. 

Chico eats forever!

POTATO!!!

#14 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

If the team wanted a homer to do color, they might have just kept Chico.

#15 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I pretty much despise Chico's color commentary, I think he is terrible. I find his voice irritating and is inability to correctly disseminate the play frustrating. I cringe whenever I start to hear him speak.

Still I wish him well in retirement, he's a very nice guy overall.

#16 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

There are times where I get annoyed or pissed at Chico for his on-air performance, especially lately now that he doesn't have Doc there to reign him in.  However, the amount and level of hate he gets from here, twitter, facebook and other messaging boards sometimes can be only described as hurtful.  I met him many times in person and he is the sweetest, most friendly current or former professional athelete I have ever met in my life.

I will be there on Chico night.

Yeah, Doc was good at reigning him in for sure.   

And yeah, our fanbase can be a pretty mean-spirited bunch when it wants to be...seeing it first-hand with Brodeur. 

#30 FOREVER!

#17 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

I think he's the most likely choice, but he doesn't currently do games outside of the NJ/NYC/Philly area, so I'm wondering if he wants the increased travel.

Still wish we could have kept Kevin Weekes in the organization, he'd be a perfect fit.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#18 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,187 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

I still love how much Chico gets fired up, I remember how pissed off he was when the Rangers owned us in that 08 series. I love his passion.

#19 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Is Randy V available?

#20 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

I think he's the most likely choice, but he doesn't currently do games outside of the NJ/NYC/Philly area, so I'm wondering if he wants the increased travel.

Still wish we could have kept Kevin Weekes in the organization, he'd be a perfect fit.

Weekes is head and shoulders above everyone else on NHL network. He'd be great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users