77 replies to this topic

#21 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

There are times where I get annoyed or pissed at Chico for his on-air performance, especially lately now that he doesn't have Doc there to reign him in.  However, the amount and level of hate he gets from here, twitter, facebook and other messaging boards sometimes can be only described as hurtful.  I met him many times in person and he is the sweetest, most friendly current or former professional athelete I have ever met in my life.

I will be there on Chico night.

Well said. 

Posted Image

#22 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Is Randy V available?

+1

#23 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

I've always been a fan of Chico, but Cangilosi just doesn't know how to reign him in and it can become maddening when he drones on and can't seem to tell who any of the players are. It's probably for the best if he were to move on. But he is one of the nicest guys you'll meet. He's also very honest off the air and doesn't just push the 'status quo' type lines.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

I've always been a fan of Chico, but Cangilosi just doesn't know how to reign him in and it can become maddening when he drones on and can't seem to tell who any of the players are. It's probably for the best if he were to move on. But he is one of the nicest guys you'll meet. He's also very honest off the air and doesn't just push the 'status quo' type lines.

Very true, he doesn't sugarcoat anything off-air.  After the Penguins waxed the Devils at the Rock early on in Brent Sutter's coaching tenure, he let me know what he thought of the Zubrus signing (his first year of his 6-year deal) at the time.  Suffice it to say he wasn't a fan. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

I would like to see Dano in there...

We will see what happens.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#26 snartly

snartly

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Thank god Pierre is not an option... Or at least I hope.

"Can. You believe it"

"I can"

#27 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

From meeting and talking to Chico numerous times, and a few times for a couple hours, I can say with certainty, he'd EASILY be the best poster here if he ever learned how to use a computer.  Just mention the Volchenkov contract to get him going...

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#28 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

From meeting and talking to Chico numerous times, and a few times for a couple hours, I can say with certainty, he'd EASILY be the best poster here if he ever learned how to use a computer.  Just mention the Volchenkov contract to get him going...

Yeah, he definitely surprised me with his brutal honestly about Zubrus...really sounded like just another fan.  Definitely not a company man. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#29 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

MOOOOOSE. I think Hedberg would be a nice fit....

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,542 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Sometimes I suspect Chico lurks here given how he talks about some subjects.  Whatever the case, I like him despite thinking it's probably best that he step away from the mic soon.  He's probably stepping down not because of age or possibly being 'fired' by the new owners but because the Devils changed their goal song.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

It's interesting Chico cited being 65...that's much the same thing Doc said when he left the Devils.

It'd be a shame to lose him as a person and as a character.  Even if you get the not-so-occasional off the reservation goofball moment. But yeah he can call it like it is, he was the first one to really hint that Parise was all but gone (probably because he's buddies with JP). 

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#32 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

It's interesting Chico cited being 65...that's much the same thing Doc said when he left the Devils.

It'd be a shame to lose him as a person and as a character.  Even if you get the not-so-occasional off the reservation goofball moment. But yeah he can call it like it is, he was the first one to really hint that Parise was all but gone (probably because he's buddies with JP). 

Not doubting you but when did Chico hint that Parise was all but gone?

lol im seriously just curious.

#33 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Not doubting you but when did Chico hint that Parise was all but gone?

lol im seriously just curious.

Skeeter reported it a while back...said Chico told him that going into Parise's final season, Zach had basically said to hell with the Devils, that he had felt that the organization was a lot more into doing whatever it took to keep Kovy happy over him, that they had put all of their eggs into Kovy's basket at his expense.  Something along those lines.  But nothing Chico had said on-air or publicly. 

#30 FOREVER!

#34 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

If the team wanted a homer to do color, they might have just kept Chico.

Thats great bobby but we dont have dance dance revolution sooooo youre dumb...

Theres no debate, dano will be the next color guy if he wants the job. Are you under the impression that there are color guys employed by a team that arent homers? Haha
And no the team cant keep chico because hes moving on to other things......as per the article.....

Dano will be a great color guy, hes great on HNL, and hes one of the few announcers out there who give honest opinions and isnt afraid to offend some people. Along with the likes of a keith hernandez or a chico

#35 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Skeeter reported it a while back...said Chico told him that going into Parise's final season, Zach had basically said to hell with the Devils, that he had felt that the organization was a lot more into doing whatever it took to keep Kovy happy over him, that they had put all of their eggs into Kovy's basket at his expense.  Something along those lines.  But nothing Chico had said on-air or publicly. 

ah ok thanks

#36 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thats great bobby but we dont have dance dance revolution sooooo youre dumb...

Theres no debate, dano will be the next color guy if he wants the job. Are you under the impression that there are color guys employed by a team that arent homers? Haha
And no the team cant keep chico because hes moving on to other things......as per the article.....

Dano will be a great color guy, hes great on HNL, and hes one of the few announcers out there who give honest opinions and isnt afraid to offend some people. Along with the likes of a keith hernandez or a chico

I was being sarcastic so take it easy there.

Also while every color guy is a homer, Dano is almost as huge of blatent homer as Chico.  Chico at times reaches the John Sterling level of absurdity when he analyzes plays to where he see things one way when video obviously shows another way.  Dano is close to that and even on HNL he is subtly ridiculed by the other analysts in his blatent homerism.

It's nice to hear Dano and Chico be there for the Devils as well as whatever replacement color guy they get.  But again when you get into the John Sterling realm of absurdity, it can become annoying and embarassing real quick.

#37 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

I wonder how a guy like Bruce Driver or Jim Dowd would do there. They're both well-spoken, Driver's always been extremely knowledgeable about the game, Dowd's a Jersey guy and Driver still lives here all these years later.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#38 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

GOOD have a retirement party for Marty and Chico.

#39 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

I wonder how a guy like Bruce Driver or Jim Dowd would do there. They're both well-spoken, Driver's always been extremely knowledgeable about the game, Dowd's a Jersey guy and Driver still lives here all these years later.

Would be interesting to see.  I think Driver and Dowd have too much going on in their personal lives in NJ to really spend half the year on the road with the Devils at this point though.

#40 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Actually he did make certain comments on air iirc...a bit more vague than the above obviously, but enough to think (in hindsight) that he knew something.  Basically just that from people he talked to he didn't think the chances were great of Parise returning, I don't remember what else he specifically said if anything.  It was during one of the early season games, maybe against Nashville.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 15 October 2013 - 04:13 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users