77 replies to this topic

#41 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Would be interesting to see.  I think Driver and Dowd have too much going on in their personal lives in NJ to really spend half the year on the road with the Devils at this point though.

Maybe, but if they'd be willing I'd consider either one of them great candidates.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#42 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

I wonder how a guy like Bruce Driver or Jim Dowd would do there. They're both well-spoken, Driver's always been extremely knowledgeable about the game, Dowd's a Jersey guy and Driver still lives here all these years later.

A guy I work with told me jim dowd is running some pyramid scheme having to do with electric or something.

#43 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

First of all, any of you all "HATING" Chico need to take a step back and relax.  In today's day and age when athletes refuse to tie their own shoes because they're coddled like no one's business, Chico's sense of "homer-ism" and being down-to-earth and genuine is quite refreshing.

It puts a face and personality, not to mention, helps normal JOES like me and you relate to a business that we have no business relating to. 

Granted, perhaps his "technical" ability as an actual commentator isn't something destined for a broadcasting manual at Boston University, however, he more than makes up for it with his, well, you know, - COLOR!  When the Devils are sucking @ss, I look no further than to hear what Chico has to say about it.  He is critical about the team, with a great degree of candor, but does it with a smile on his face.

I am a Chico fan forever, and so if someone dares to knock him, they need to go through me first! :-)

But, if Chico indeed is leaving on his own terms, for which I wish him the best of times and peace growing old with his wife, this would be my shortlist for replacements:

Long Shot Considerations (for giggles):

1.  Marty Lyons

2.  Mike Francessa

3.  Cam Janssen

4.  Scott Gomez

5.  Ilya Kovalchuk

6.  Gary Thorne

Serious Considerations:

1.  Martin Brodeur

2.  Jim Dowd

3.  Ken Daneyko

4.  Kevin Weekes

5.  Brian Rafalski

Get Rid OF:

1.  Matt Laughlin

2.  Steve Cangelosi

Edited by Mitico12, 15 October 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#44 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

No Chico, no Doc, no Marty and soon no Lou... Dark times ahead.

#45 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

A guy I work with told me jim dowd is running some pyramid scheme having to do with electric or something.

This is true.  A friend of mine ran into him at the arena restaurant and he tried to rope him into it.  He even gets text messages from Dowd telling him to come to meetings at his house.

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#46 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

This is true. A friend of mine ran into him at the arena restaurant and he tried to rope him into it. He even gets text messages from Dowd telling him to come to meetings at his house.

Lmfao, I don't know why I can't stop laughing at the thought of Jimmy Dowd running a pyramid scheme, but I'm seriously dying over here. I knew a dude who tried to get me involved with a pyramid scheme back in the day doing the same thing, texting me to come to meetings at his house. Pyramid scheme dudes are shady characters lol.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#47 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Lmfao, I don't know why I can't stop laughing at the thought of Jimmy Dowd running a pyramid scheme, but I'm seriously dying over here. I knew a dude who tried to get me involved with a pyramid scheme back in the day doing the same thing, texting me to come to meetings at his house. Pyramid scheme dudes are shady characters lol.

Yo, it's multi level marketing, not a pyramid scheme. LOL.

#48 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, he definitely surprised me with his brutal honestly about Zubrus...really sounded like just another fan. Definitely not a company man.

Yeah I've met Chico a couple of times as well and I was shocked by how blunt he was in his honesty regarding the team compared to the way he is on TV as well. He does a good job of being professional and giving credit to the other team (sometimes too much credit to the point that I want to shatter my TV depending on the way the Devils are playing). I will be there for Chico night and wish him nothing but the best in retirement. A true Devil.

#49 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

Don't think there is anyone happier than gold ole Cangi

#50 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Marty?

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#51 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

I was being sarcastic so take it easy there.

Also while every color guy is a homer, Dano is almost as huge of blatent homer as Chico.  Chico at times reaches the John Sterling level of absurdity when he analyzes plays to where he see things one way when video obviously shows another way.  Dano is close to that and even on HNL he is subtly ridiculed by the other analysts in his blatent homerism.

It's nice to hear Dano and Chico be there for the Devils as well as whatever replacement color guy they get.  But again when you get into the John Sterling realm of absurdity, it can become annoying and embarassing real quick.

Everyone else on that panel clearly is an example of pure objectivity. 

I'm always amazed at how Dano doesn't just knock out Al "brutal" Trautwig and Dave "I throw rose pedal at Henriks feet" Maloney on that show sometimes.

Posted Image

#52 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

cangi can go too.. theyre both pretty damn annoying but then again i think most announcers are annoying.. i loved watching those pre season streams with no announcers or commercials.. they were awesome felt like you were sitting at the game
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#53 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Another one of my dream jobs for Bobby Holik, along with coach of anyone but the Devils.   Just for the moment his mind explodes, and he just walks off and goes back to Jackson Hole.

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,183 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

lol Bobby Holik as an announcer would be the 2010's version of Howard Cosell, with an accent.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#55 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

I'll miss Chico. I know his analysis has slipped and he often gets names wrong but I always found him really likeable. He's a color guy on tv so I can see what's going on, so his errors never bothered me.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm also a fan of the Cangy Man.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#56 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

LET THE REPLACEMENT DISCUSSION COMMENCE!!!!

Ken Daneyko

That was easy.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#57 TackleDummy

TackleDummy

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

If there is a Chico night, I will be there sporting my Chico Eats tee shirt rather than my jersey.

#58 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Bobby Holik's voice has always bothered me though. I don't think I could take listening to him through a whole game. Daneyko's commentary comes from a very specific perspective which is 1985 middle of nowhere Alberta on a frozen pond. It's a perfectly valid version of hockey, but I don't need that perspective all game long either. In between periods is good enough for me.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#59 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

Bobby Holik's voice has always bothered me though. I don't think I could take listening to him through a whole game. Daneyko's commentary comes from a very specific perspective which is 1985 middle of nowhere Alberta on a frozen pond. It's a perfectly valid version of hockey, but I don't need that perspective all game long either. In between periods is good enough for me.

While I'd greatly appreciate Holik's honesty, he sounds like a muppet. He's probably better off sticking to the blog.

#60 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

I rather like chico, if he goes I wish him the best. He has been a part of the devils for a very long time.

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users