1548 replies to this topic

#241 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'm a huge Janssen fan but he really should be scratched. I don't mind that Brunner is sitting out again though. Still think it might be worth it to let Whitney have a chance.

I've been fine with Brodeur playing the majority of games since he's been playing well but I was hoping Schneider would get this game. A bit worried about his comments of how frustrated he is, though I can't blame him. Can't think of a goalie as solid as him that spent so much time as a back up in his career off the top of my head. Too early to worry about this now but I do wonder what happens if Brodeur comes back next year.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#242 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'm a huge Janssen fan but he really should be scratched. I don't mind that Brunner is sitting out again though. Still think it might be worth it to let Whitney have a chance.

I've been fine with Brodeur playing the majority of games since he's been playing well but I was hoping Schneider would get this game. A bit worried about his comments of how frustrated he is, though I can't blame him. Can't think of a goalie as solid as him that spent so much time as a back up in his career off the top of my head. Too early to worry about this now but I do wonder what happens if Brodeur comes back next year.

It's pretty simple - he does it in another uniform.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#243 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Brodeur or Schneider?  We all know there is no way Brodeur is ever going to wear another uniform in his career.  Lou will give him a 1 year deal in the event Marty wants to come back. 

Posted Image

#244 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

If Marty keeps playing this way I could see him asking for a two-year deal lol.  And Schnieder'll be gonzo, or at least he'll request a trade.

No he won't.  They hero worship him to the point where Schnieder never plays anymore except in back-to-backs, they're sure as shooting not going to let him walk after this year unless he crashes and burns the rest of the season.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#245 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Brodeur's crash and burn is basically inevitable - he hasn't maintained this level of play at any point in the last 3 years, why should he suddenly have done so this year?  Schneider will get the crease back eventually.  It's just a question of what might happen next year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#246 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

If Marty keeps playing this way I could see him asking for a two-year deal lol.  And Schnieder'll be gonzo, or at least he'll request a trade.

No he won't.  They hero worship him to the point where Schnieder never plays anymore except in back-to-backs, they're sure as shooting not going to let him walk after this year unless he crashes and burns the rest of the season.

If that happens, then Lou has officially jumped the shark.  It's been discussed before, but it reaches a point where you can't let an aging former great hold the franchise hostage.  Lou was extremely fair in the last contract he gave Marty (at Marty's age, there was clearly risk involved).  It was basically a "Thanks for all you've done, even though you're probably not going to live up to the actual value" kind of deal, but an understandable one.  Doesn't mean Lou has to dole out another one to a guy who's going to be 42.   

Tri is right...it is extremely unlikely that Marty will keep up this level of play.  If he somehow managed to do it, I think the Devils still have to walk away from him no matter what.  If that means Marty has to play a handful of games for another team, so be it...it happens.  Ray Bourque played for the Avs, Joe Montana played for the Chiefs, Michael Jordan played for the Wizards...the list goes on.  No other goalie has anywhere near the wins that Marty does for one team, which says it all, as far as a top goalie staying with one team for his entire career goes.  But there's no way in hell this should ever turn into a Mark Messier situation, especially since there's a guy clearly capable of taking over (and who cost the Devils a first-rounder at that).  

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#247 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

I can't see Brodeur playing for another team, even if Lou refused to offer him a contract for next season.  I personally think he'd walk away at that point.  I also don't see Lou telling Marty to pack his sh!t and go if Marty came to him at the end of this season and wanted to play one more year.  Lou apparently isn't afraid to tell hall of fame players when its time to hang them up (apparently, according to Shanny, Lou told him that he could no longer keep up in the NHL when the Devils cut him loose a few seasons ago even though Shanny didn't agree at the time), but I think it's just different with Marty for Lou.

Posted Image

#248 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

I can't see Brodeur playing for another team, even if Lou refused to offer him a contract for next season.  I personally think he'd walk away at that point.  I also don't see Lou telling Marty to pack his sh!t and go if Marty came to him at the end of this season and wanted to play one more year.  Lou apparently isn't afraid to tell hall of fame players when its time to hang them up (apparently, according to Shanny, Lou told him that he could no longer keep up in the NHL when the Devils cut him loose a few seasons ago even though Shanny didn't agree at the time), but I think it's just different with Marty for Lou.

It's also on the player to make the transition for his team as painless as possible.  Marty should care about the state of the Devils beyond his playing days, especially since there's a good chance he's still going to be part of the organization going forward.  What's best for the Devils is Schneider getting all of 2014-15 as the no-doubt-about-it starter, with either Kinkaid, Wedge, or some veteran backup type as his backup...a guy who clearly is not a threat to take the #1 job, or thinks of himself as such.  Marty going into next season thinking he's still a potential #1 is not a good situation for anyone involved.  The Devils have to cater to Schneider over Marty eventually.  You don't give up #9 overall picks to bring in a stopgap...Lou clearly made that move thinking Cory would be the man starting in 2014-15 at the latest.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 27 November 2013 - 04:53 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#249 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

sh!t. TG's twitter account was hacked, I believe.

1. Devs' lines: Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr; Henrique-Elias-Brunner; Carter-Loktionov-Bernier; Tedenby-Josefson-Ryder.

2. Looks like Volchenkov will be in for Harrold tonight and Brunner in for Janssen.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#250 ringtwins

ringtwins

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thank you pete
You do know that Devil fans are so used to being in the playoffs that people save their money for the later rounds, right? Triumph

#251 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Finally some logical roster decisions. Thank you PDB, now don't go back on these decisions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#252 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Finally some logical roster decisions. Thank you PDB, now don't go back on these decisions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Watch us win today ...and watch Pete go back to the old lineup tomorrow

#253 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Interesting lines with Ryder on the 4th... I would prefer jj play between carter and bernier but I guess you need someone defensively capable between teddy and Ryder.

#254 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Getting a wee bit worried with the lack of updates on Larsson. Didn't look so bad and AFAIK he hasn't skated since. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#255 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Getting a wee bit worried with the lack of updates on Larsson. Didn't look so bad and AFAIK he hasn't skated since. 

with our glutton of D this year, every injury is gonna be milked out for a longggg time

#256 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Interesting that Merrill is in for Harrold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#257 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Mayhaps, but I feel like we've seen this show before. Guy gets injured, said to be minor/day-to-day, before you know it they say he's out 2 months.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#258 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Interesting that Merrill is in for Harrold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

maybe some scouts want to check him out.....I think Lou moves a D man for some scoring help this season

#259 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

maybe some scouts want to check him out.....I think Lou moves a D man for some scoring help this season

I'd be surprised if this happens... Guys like Merrill and gelinas are sort of in the grey zone when it comes to prospects... You've invested years in them and you're just about to get your answer if they're legit or not. The return you'd get probably isn't enough to warrant moving them. It's better to just hang into them.

#260 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

i hope elias can spark up his line mates brunner and henrique .. i think that is the best option for those two to be with him
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users