1548 replies to this topic

#361 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

I wonder if a trade of Salvador for Heatley would work.  Sal is Parise's buddy, and, while I don't follow Minnesota all that much, I think Sal would probably be an upgrade over the 5th or 6th defenseman on Minnesota's roster.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#362 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

I don't know if we want Heatley. We have Ryder, is he that much better for 3x the price. I think we need youth and speed.

#363 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

I don't know if we want Heatley. We have Ryder, is he that much better for 3x the price. I think we need youth and speed.

The Devils don't really have anything to give up to get a player like that, unless you're talking about a blockbuster trade of the Larsson for Kane type (that's just a hypothetical example.  It doesn't make sense from the Jets' POV, so I'm just expressing the concept). 

The idea would be to shed salary for next year and open up a spot for Merrill, who is probably a better option than Sal at this point.  Heatley is in the last year of his deal, and I think you could probably find a spot for Heatley on the third or fourth line. 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#364 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

Heatley is finished.  Last thing this team needs is more scoreline types who can't score.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#365 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Heatley is finished.  Last thing this team needs is more scoreline types who can't score.

He has six goals, I believe playing on Minnesota's fourth line.  That isn't terrible for someone who you probably don't have much use for at this point.

Posted Image

#366 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

He has six goals, I believe playing on Minnesota's fourth line.  That isn't terrible for someone who you probably don't have much use for at this point.

He plays 15 minutes a night.  His shot rate at even strength is miserable.  He's on a team that gets a lot of shots on goal too.  These guys who suck up good minutes and don't score much and don't contribute any other way just aren't doing much to help out a hockey team.

#367 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

He plays 15 minutes a night.  His shot rate at even strength is miserable.  He's on a team that gets a lot of shots on goal too.  These guys who suck up good minutes and don't score much and don't contribute any other way just aren't doing much to help out a hockey team.

More shots on goal than Henrique.  I couldn't give you the even strength/powerplay differential. 

EDIT:  Also more shots on goal than Ryder.

Edited by Daniel, 09 December 2013 - 11:04 AM.

Posted Image

#368 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Volchenkov's play is starting to inch closer to unacceptably poor at 5 on 5, though. Zidlicky hasn't been any great shakes there either (possibly because of being paired with Volchenkov).

I agree, the larger point in making though is that the idea of our blue line lacking offensive ability is a bit outdated now- we could use more solid defensive defensemen before an offensive dman.

I doubt that Lou moves any of the defensemen on the NHL roster, as Marshall said injuries happen and you can never have too many (as long as Pete plays the right guys) but if a move was made I would hope it would be for a defensive guy, unlike two years ago when we brought zidlicky in.

#369 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

What is Brunner's trade value at this point?  I would have to think its nil since he was signed late and hasn't been producing.  But I would think he would be better in a Washington type system than the Devils system.

Posted Image

#370 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

More shots on goal than Henrique.  I couldn't give you the even strength/powerplay differential. 

EDIT:  Also more shots on goal than Ryder.

Okay, great.  Did you notice how I mentioned that Minnesota gets a lot of shots on goal?  The Devils don't. 

Just because Heatley is barely beating out two of the Devils' worst offensive contributors does not mean he will contribute anything.  He is through.  

#371 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

What is Brunner's trade value at this point? I would have to think its nil since he was signed late and hasn't been producing. But I would think he would be better in a Washington type system than the Devils system.

yeah probably not anything more than a 5th rounder. I would say keep him in and maybe he shows something to raise it and you can move him at the deadline, it's not like we have anyone else that really deserves that ice time (I know people will say Whitney but let's be honest he hasn't been given a shot this long he's not gonna get it now).

#372 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Okay, great.  Did you notice how I mentioned that Minnesota gets a lot of shots on goal?  The Devils don't. 

Just because Heatley is barely beating out two of the Devils' worst offensive contributors does not mean he will contribute anything.  He is through.  

Hmm, maybe Minnesota gets a lot of shots on goal, because they have players that tend to get shots on goal, and one of those players is Heatley. 

EDIT: And btw, Minnesota is 25th in the league in shots on goal per game.  (Devils are 30th).  So your premise is wrong.

Edited by Daniel, 09 December 2013 - 11:29 AM.

Posted Image

#373 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hmm, maybe Minnesota gets a lot of shots on goal, because they have players that tend to get shots on goal, and one of those players is Heatley. 

EDIT: And btw, Minnesota is 25th in the league in shots on goal per game.  (Devils are 30th).  So your premise is wrong.

Ah, my bad on that.  They were near the top early on, IIRC.

Heatley shoots at a worse than league average rate.  He is not a shot generator at this time.  He is finished.  He sucks.  You're not appearing to get this - you have Devils fans on Michael Ryder for not scoring, and you want them to get another Michael Ryder?

#374 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Ah, my bad on that.  They were near the top early on, IIRC.

Heatley shoots at a worse than league average rate.  He is not a shot generator at this time.  He is finished.  He sucks.  You're not appearing to get this - you have Devils fans on Michael Ryder for not scoring, and you want them to get another Michael Ryder?

But the idea is that you're looking for an improvement over what you have, and especially with the idea that you're trying to unload a player you may not have a use for anymore that's under contract for another year for not an insignificant amount of money.

Heatley is shooting at a better rate than Ryder and Henrique, and also Zubrus and Loktionov, all by a fairly healthy rate.  (If by shooting rate, you mean shots on goal, not shot percentage).  And that's playing on either Minnesota's third or fourth line. 

EDIT:  And, Heatley is only trailing Jagr by 11 shots, over one less more game played. 

Edited by Daniel, 09 December 2013 - 11:58 AM.

Posted Image

#375 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

If you can swing one of the old D for Heatley...why not. His contract is expiring.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#376 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

After seeing how Brunner and Ryder fit in with this team, I think we need to be very carful about looking at pure shooters and saying we need them. Yes we have trouble finding the back of the net, but we either need to go all out with the grind it out and forecheck system or figure out a way to include these types of players, and as long as Pete is here it will probably be the former.

Long story short, we need more zubruses and berniers, or at the very least shooters who are good along the boards and are willing to get dirty.

I hate to sound like sterio but it's a shame parise left, he's that perfec hybrid between scorer and grinder.

#377 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

^^ I'm not very enthused by the idea of being a one-dimensional team like that. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#378 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

But the idea is that you're looking for an improvement over what you have, and especially with the idea that you're trying to unload a player you may not have a use for anymore that's under contract for another year for not an insignificant amount of money.

Heatley is shooting at a better rate than Ryder and Henrique, and also Zubrus and Loktionov, all by a fairly healthy rate.  (If by shooting rate, you mean shots on goal, not shot percentage).  And that's playing on either Minnesota's third or fourth line. 

EDIT:  And, Heatley is only trailing Jagr by 11 shots, over one less more game played. 

Jagr doesn't shoot the puck a lot either.  Healtey is not an improvement over what you have because he sucks.  He is not good.  Guys like Henrique, Zubrus, and Loktionov fulfill other functions besides shooting the puck.  Heatley does not.  He is through.

#379 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

I would support a trade of heatley for salvador, if only to get rid of salvador. Same goes for volch.

I am begining to hate NTC.

#380 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

^^ I'm not very enthused by the idea of being a one-dimensional team like that.

I don't necessarily disagree, but as long as Pete is the coach we need to find players who fit the system instead of force feeding guys in. Even kovy never really fit, although he bought in enough to contribute to a cup final appearance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users