1548 replies to this topic

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

You know what they say about the definition of insanity...

I'm not the type that blames Gionta for all things bad in the world. But if you're trying to figure out something that works, you'd have to think that Gionta should have been scratched at least once.

It's times like this where I wish we had a$$hole beat reporters like in Toronto, or better yet Brooksie, to grill Deboer on the Gionta issue specifically. Not even so much with the hope that he'd give into the pressure, but just to get some kind of explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#22 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm not the type that blames Gionta for all things bad in the world. But if you're trying to figure out something that works, you'd have to think that Gionta should have been scratched at least once.

It's times like this where I wish we had a$$hole beat reporters like in Toronto, or better yet Brooksie, to grill Deboer on the Gionta issue specifically. Not even so much with the hope that he'd give into the pressure, but just to get some kind of explanation.

I don't know..you aren't going to get any beat writers asking about why a 4th-line player is playing, especially an individual who seems to be as well liked as Gionta. It just isn't something that is asked. You might have one ask about Fayne specifically, or why Josefson hasn't gotten much of a look after a good pre-season. 

I'd rather those questions asked. Deboer's thoughts on Gionta are pretty well known. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

The 4th line:  http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6377

I'd like for Gionta to be out but right now it just isn't an issue.  He's not getting very much ice time.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

I don't know..you aren't going to get any beat writers asking about why a 4th-line player is playing, especially an individual who seems to be as well liked as Gionta. It just isn't something that is asked. You might have one ask about Fayne specifically, or why Josefson hasn't gotten much of a look after a good pre-season.

I'd rather those questions asked. Deboer's thoughts on Gionta are pretty well known.

It would be one thing if it were a top heavy team. But what's been touted is the team's depth. So who's playing on the fourth line, especially when the team hasn't won a game, and where there's one guy that seems to get the benefit of the doubt more than some first liners, is something that ought to get a bit more attention.

But you're also right that it would tie in to who is not playing. A good question from a Brooksie type would be, "what is Stephen Gionta doing to help win games that Josefson can't do better".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#25 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

The 4th line:  http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6377

I'd like for Gionta to be out but right now it just isn't an issue.  He's not getting very much ice time.

Devils are currently using a line of Zubrus-Elias-Jagr, all of which are over the age of 35. Josefson has proven he can handle 11-13 minutes a night, which would be an increase to what Gionta is getting. Any option the Devils can keep Jagr and Elias fresh should be explored

Edited by SMantzas, 16 October 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#26 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

I agree that Tedenby is probably getting a final look. Though I don't think he has much (if any at all) trade value and I think it's likely he'd make it thru waivers. I honestly wouldn't lose any sleep if someone else did claim him. This is his chance to show he deserves a roster spot.

I don't think he has value at all right now. If he gets hot for 20 games, maybe he sticks and we do him like we did Bergfors. If he looks like he has in the past, then it's waivers and he likely clears and if he doesn't, oh well.

#27 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

I agree with you...writers aren't going to sell copy stirring up a Gionta/Josefson debate.  If anything I'd rather they just press Pete in general on why so many young guys get chained into the doghouse while vets are allowed to slide.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Devils are currently using a line of Zubrus-Elias-Jagr, all of which are over the age of 35. Josefson has proven he can handle 11-13 minutes a night, which would be an increase to what Gionta is getting. Any option the Devils can keep Jagr and Elias fresh should be explored

Elias and Jagr aren't being used a ton.  Elias is at 18 minutes, which is where he's always been, Jagr is at 17 minutes a game.  I don't think they should be getting any less ice time than this - they may be old, but they are also our best forwards.

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Elias and Jagr aren't being used a ton.  Elias is at 18 minutes, which is where he's always been, Jagr is at 17 minutes a game.  I don't think they should be getting any less ice time than this - they may be old, but they are also our best forwards.

have those minutes for elias and jagr been consistent from the start of the season or did they have more time and its now starting to decrease?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#30 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

I just wanna see Fayne be a regular in the lineup.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#31 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

I just wonder if Deboer or Stevens realizes Larsson or Fayne can play away from Andy Greene.  

Well, whenever he tried it, he paired Larsson with Volchenkov and that was quite the trainwreck. So he tried it and it failed. Thus, he's hellbent on the idea that both can only play with Greene and thus they're the ones getting scratched. But both could play away from Greene....together. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#32 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

Well, whenever he tried it, he paired Larsson with Volchenkov and that was quite the trainwreck. So he tried it and it failed. Thus, he's hellbent on the idea that both can only play with Greene and thus they're the ones getting scratched. But both could play away from Greene....together. 

Larsson can probably only play with Greene at this point.  Fayne could definitely play with anyone else, though.

#33 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'd like to see what a Tedenby-Lokti-Brunner line can do just for one shift. Could be dangerous (both ways).

#34 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Larsson can probably only play with Greene at this point. Fayne could definitely play with anyone else, though.

When your other LHD options are Salvador and Volchenkov, you're probably right. Only Weber, Subban or Karlsson could save them

#35 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'd like to see Larsson play LD. IIRC that's where he played in the SEL. Sticks to the middle, sticks to the outside...doesn't matter to me.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#36 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'd like to see what a Tedenby-Lokti-Brunner line can do just for one shift. Could be dangerous (both ways).

You know that's been one of my own guilty thoughts as well. That line would have no ability to defend and would be completely undersized versus any opposing line in the league, but man, the speed would be amazing.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#37 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Just because I haven't posted it in awhile:

#FreeFayne

believe-devs.jpg

#38 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

You know that's been one of my own guilty thoughts as well. That line would have no ability to defend and would be completely undersized versus any opposing line in the league, but man, the speed would be amazing.

You see some of those Edmonton lines with all the kids and they're zipping and zooming all over the place, scoring goals; so hard to defend. On paper, you think they're going to be ineffective and outmatched physically, but in reality, it might work. I watched our geezers trying to keep up with the Edmonton kids and they absolutely couldn't. 4 goals later....

#39 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Yeah we need to let the kids fly. I want some damn selfishness on this team too. People need to just start rifling shots. I think putting the younger guys together (without a vet) might help boost their confidence (offensively).

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 17 October 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#40 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

Ffs Gionta and Harrold need to go, it's an outrage that Josefson and Fayne are sitting for those two hacks
25smul5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users