1548 replies to this topic

#501 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

If Cory doesn't get one of the two games (at this point Dallas) this week it's a travesty.  You're basically guaranteeing Marty plays four times in eight days and Cory one, given the back-to-back this weekend and Marty is going to start in Montreal next Tuesday.

After the whole ordeal in Vancouver to inconsistent playing time and lack of goal support in NJ, I can't even imagine Schneider's frustration level. I'm really worried Brodeur is going to decide to come back next year which means we can say goodbye to Schneider.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#502 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

What's mind-boggling is that Cory's still playing better than Marty on the whole even with Cory's bad December.  He's got a 2.13 and .914 while Marty's at 2.36 and .903.  Of course Marty has seven more wins in five more starts because the offense decides to score for him.  It's really remarkable, something like a 40-goal difference (meaning the Devils have scored 40 more goals for Marty in five more starts) I saw on HF.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#503 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

After the whole ordeal in Vancouver to inconsistent playing time and lack of goal support in NJ, I can't even imagine Schneider's frustration level. I'm really worried Brodeur is going to decide to come back next year which means we can say goodbye to Schneider.

Then he can come back somewhere else. Listen, I love Marty as much as the next Devils fan and I'm eternally grateful for everything he's done for this organization- but Marty doesn't run the NJ Devils. His contract is up after this year. Lou needs to sit down and tell him the hard truth- that this is it. That unless you're cool with a back-up role next year, this is the end of the line. Corey is supposed to be the future- well, it's time for Lou to put his foot down on that. We didn't give up a top 10 pick to have Schneider walk away after two years and sign with the Penguins.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#504 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Then he can come back somewhere else. Listen, I love Marty as much as the next Devils fan and I'm eternally grateful for everything he's done for this organization- but Marty doesn't run the NJ Devils. His contract is up after this year. Lou needs to sit down and tell him the hard truth- that this is it. That unless you're cool with a back-up role next year, this is the end of the line. Corey is supposed to be the future- well, it's time for Lou to put his foot down on that. We didn't give up a top 10 pick to have Schneider walk away after two years and sign with the Penguins.

I wish Cory hadn't gotten that injury when he did. Marty was pretty much accepting the back up spot, but then got those starts and won a few when the team had been struggling, and that was all Deboer needed to ride him some more. We need Cory to steal a couple in between Marty losing a couple to shift the momentum back.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#505 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Thats not on Lou that's on DeBoer mostly, its like he's trying to piss off our "future" and upcoming free agents on purpose, it's like shaking food in their face just to throw it to every single vet on their last leg that will be gone soon.

www.SterioDesign.com

#506 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

That's not really what that would mean.  The season isn't over yet.  If Brodeur came back, Schneider would have yet another shot at winning the starting job, again.  And Brodeur would likely be worse than he's been the last 4 years which is already pretty bad.

The biggest surprise so far this year is that Brodeur hasn't gotten hurt.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#507 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

That's not really what that would mean.  The season isn't over yet.  If Brodeur came back, Schneider would have yet another shot at winning the starting job, again.  And Brodeur would likely be worse than he's been the last 4 years which is already pretty bad.

The biggest surprise so far this year is that Brodeur hasn't gotten hurt.

I have to disagree. I think the Devils need to sign Schneider to an extension this summer otherwise he's going to test the market. Once he's out there anything can happen. If Brodeur comes back next year I can't see why Schneider would sign an extension with NJ. I sure as hell wouldn't. I doubt he wants to spend another year sharing the net.

It's also not about how bad Brodeur is. If he's around, he's going to play whether he deserves to or not. I'm going to be pissed if the Devils gave up the 9th pick for 2 half years of a goalie.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#508 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

I have to disagree. I think the Devils need to sign Schneider to an extension this summer otherwise he's going to test the market. Once he's out there anything can happen. If Brodeur comes back next year I can't see why Schneider would sign an extension with NJ. I sure as hell wouldn't. I doubt he wants to spend another year sharing the net.

It's also not about how bad Brodeur is. If he's around, he's going to play whether he deserves to or not. I'm going to be pissed if the Devils gave up the 9th pick for 2 half years of a goalie.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said fiesty. Marty has to understand the circumstances here. We gave up a top 10 pick for the guy we want to be his successor. That's a significant investment by the organization. Marty isn't stupid, I think he saw the writing on the wall when that move was made. He has to understand that if he still wants to play next season, he'll probably have to go somewhere else unless he's willing to take a clear-cut back-up role where he's playing 30 games (which 'aint happening, let's be honest). Its a tough spot for the organization and the fans because obviously we don't want to disrespect Marty, or forget what he's done here. But the time has come. This is it. It was decided when the Schneider trade was made AFAIC. I don't want Marty to be one of those guys who holds on too long, but I'm worried he may. I just want him to retire, I don't want to see him in a fvcking Toronto jersey or some bullsh!t next year. But- and it KILLS me to have to say it- I'd rather see him wearing another team's jersey next year than a Devils jersey if it means he's playing 45-50 games and Schneider is on the first flight out of EWR.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#509 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

The thing is that the less Schneider plays (and worse he plays) the lower his price is on the open market.  Right now, are the Penguins really willing to ditch Fleury and go with Schneider?  And is Schneider willing to pass up a large contract offer from NJ for free agency, where again, right now he doesn't have the pristine numbers he had coming to NJ?  Remember, Brodeur is 42 at the end of this season - he really cannot be expected to play more than another year and he can't be expected to be the starter next year, either.

#510 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

The thing is that the less Schneider plays (and worse he plays) the lower his price is on the open market.  Right now, are the Penguins really willing to ditch Fleury and go with Schneider?  And is Schneider willing to pass up a large contract offer from NJ for free agency, where again, right now he doesn't have the pristine numbers he had coming to NJ?  Remember, Brodeur is 42 at the end of this season - he really cannot be expected to play more than another year and he can't be expected to be the starter next year, either.

Yeah, gambling that another gm miiiight not throw big money at him and if one does we'll have to all be happy that were not overpaying for him while no one else can get the job done... Sounds somewhat familiar.

We have to sign him to an extension this summer theres no way around it, we simply cannot take the risk to even put him in a situation where he could walk.

www.SterioDesign.com

#511 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Yeah, gambling that another gm miiiight not throw big money at him and if one does we'll have to all be happy that were not overpaying for him while no one else can get the job done... Sounds somewhat familiar.
We have to sign him to an extension this summer theres no way around it, we simply cannot take the risk to even put him in a situation where he could walk.

but the way that lou works he will wait until a day before free agency to talk to him.. yup
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#512 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:28 AM

You know what the goalie market is on July 1.  It's not hard to figure out who will be interested and who won't be.  You can cross 20 teams off right away.

I don't know if Schneider would be inclined to sign an extension given the year he's having, and the Devils can't really offer him the Tuukka Rask type contract I imagine he wants.

#513 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:43 AM

Remember, Brodeur is 42 at the end of this season - he really cannot be expected to play more than another year and he can't be expected to be the starter next year, either.

No, but he can still be excellent in spurts (like any other goalie) and that leeches starts from Schneider, which is kind of what has happened this year. Any goalie can get hot but when it's a career back-up doing it people don't think much of it, he goes back to the bench. With Marty they seem to think "he's still got it, let's ride him" and they do it too much.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#514 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:47 AM

Pretty sure Marty understands the circumstances and would accept a back up role even now if deboer decided it or Lou put his foot down on it..

Edited by CarterforPresident, 07 January 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#515 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

You know what the goalie market is on July 1.  It's not hard to figure out who will be interested and who won't be.  You can cross 20 teams off right away.

I don't know if Schneider would be inclined to sign an extension given the year he's having, and the Devils can't really offer him the Tuukka Rask type contract I imagine he wants.

No but he could sign a bridge contract like 2 years, would give him a few seasons to prove himself as a starter then he could sign his long term.

Lou has to understand that with the circonstances (no scoring help now, no scoring coming help in our system, team is not necessarily on the up future wise, all the top players leaving soon, Lou's done soon too, lots of uncertainties) he can't play hardball and gamble or take chances. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#516 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I just hope Marty isn't determined to get 700 wins. If he is he will definitely be back next year and he'll get every opportunity from Lou/Pete. This team shouldn't have to suffer for him to reach a milestone no one will ever break anyway.

After a lot of thinking about it, I understand why Lou lets his guys hit free agency. He wants the people who want to play in NJ for this team. He gives them the opportunity to show their loyalty and desire to play for us. Now IMO that's actually pretty cool, but that should only be the case for players that were brought up in our system. Someone like Corey who was traded into our organization has no reason to be loyal to us at this point. Lou has to do everything he can to lock up Corey next year.

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 07 January 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#517 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

No, but he can still be excellent in spurts (like any other goalie) and that leeches starts from Schneider, which is kind of what has happened this year. Any goalie can get hot but when it's a career back-up doing it people don't think much of it, he goes back to the bench. With Marty they seem to think "he's still got it, let's ride him" and they do it too much.

That is true.  I still think back to that Montreal game - I think that's where Schneider officially lost DeBoer, at least for a time, and he certainly didn't get him back giving up 3 or more goals in each of his next 5 games.  Brodeur has been awful in several games, but he hasn't blown a game late with poor goaltending.  I guess that's what he'll have to do to start getting Schneider the starts.  

#518 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

That is true.  I still think back to that Montreal game - I think that's where Schneider officially lost DeBoer, at least for a time, and he certainly didn't get him back giving up 3 or more goals in each of his next 5 games.  Brodeur has been awful in several games, but he hasn't blown a game late with poor goaltending.  I guess that's what he'll have to do to start getting Schneider the starts.  

the chicago game is not recent enough in your memory?

www.SterioDesign.com

#519 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

The Blue Jackets game was as bad as it gets.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#520 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

the chicago game is not recent enough in your memory?

that was an onslaught so pdb can excuse that away.

The Blue Jackets game was as bad as it gets.

that was the game pdb should have taken notice on but again, schneider didn't do anything to help his cause.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users