1548 replies to this topic

#541 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

The way they've handled this Gelinas thing is beyond inexcusable. Saturday he's being sent down, Monday he isn't, and Thursday he's playing but doesn't know if he's playing forward for the first time as a professional or not. Garbage.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 09 January 2014 - 12:23 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#542 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

The way they've handled this Gelinas thing is beyond inexcusable. Saturday he's being sent down, Monday he isn't, and Thursday he's playing but doesn't know if he's playing forward for the first time as a professional or not. Garbage.

You know who probably finds it excusable? Gelinas. I imagine he is just happy he is still with the big club and getting into the lineup tonight.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#543 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Loktionov has been on for 16 shots on goal in the last 3 games he's played versus 5 against.  That's generating offense.  Now tonight what'll likely happen is that the Devils swap in players on the 4th line, then find a way to get Boucher on higher lines after PKs and drop Sislo from the rotation entirely.  It means 15 minutes of Stephen Gionta - this is the opposite of 'adding offense'. 

dr33:  I don't necessarily blame him for tonight - Lou has to get rid of one of these guys somehow, whether by the AHL or trade - but if it's just tonight it's okay.  If they are going to make the decision after tonight, fine.  But it has to be made very soon.

I agree about Loktionov.

But I was talking about Gelinas.  We need all the offensive help we can get, and Gelinas brings just that.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#544 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

I agree.  I still am of disbelief that people who want more offense were perfectly ok with sending down one of our best offensive players.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#545 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Not happy with breaking up Loktionov's line. I like Carter but would've rather have him been the odd man out to get Gelinas back in. Not happy that Larsson is sitting now when apparently he's good to go.

I used to think that there was no such thing as too much depth but the Devils over the past year and a half have changed my opinion a bit.

You know who probably finds it excusable? Gelinas. I imagine he is just happy he is still with the big club and getting into the lineup tonight.

His bank account is also happy to be up here. I'm not sure how NHL players get paid (bi-weekly?) but NHL salary of $650k compared to AHL salary of $65k. He'd probably fill the water bottles up here for that paycheck.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#546 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I agree, and at this point, this is on Lou, not DeBoer.

Lou's put the onus on DeBoer to clean up his mess: making excuses for Larsson still lurking in IR limbo and off the lineup (despite us knowing he's ready), dressing 7 d-men, scratching Gelinas (who I don't think gets scratched if a Volchenkov or Salvador gets traded, obviously). A trade should've happened by now and when Harrold is healthy again, it'll be even more of a sh!tstorm that Lou makes DeBoer figure out. I don't envy DeBoer's position the past month or two.

It's amateur hour, and Lou needs to figure it out. Addition by subtraction, like the Tallinder deal, not to mention addressing our needs on offense. But yeah... status quo.

Edited by DJ Eco, 09 January 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#547 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

This. These are young players who are well aware that they need to pay their dues on the way up. Hockey players are usually not part of the whole entitlement thing.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#548 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

You think he's relieved he's in limbo, not knowing if he's playing a position he's never played as a professional after being scratched for two games?

They would have been better off either sending him down or scratching him and then putting him back on D. But Pete's been providing a clinic on how to screw up anyone and everyone under 25 the last two years and this is just the latest example.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#549 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

This. These are young players who are well aware that they need to pay their dues on the way up. Hockey players are usually not part of the whole entitlement thing.

It's one thing to be accountable, it's another to basically admit you have no idea what you're doing. If he was supposed to be sent down then send him down. Why would Elias (a forward) going on IR change that? If you want to convert him to forward do that in the AHL. This is just lazy roster nonmanagement.

#550 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

You think he's relieved he's in limbo, not knowing if he's playing a position he's never played as a professional after being scratched for two games?

They would have been better off either sending him down or scratching him and then putting him back on D. But Pete's been providing a clinic on how to screw up anyone and everyone under 25 the last two years and this is just the latest example.

Agreed.  He's now gonna be playing scared, and that's not what we need.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#551 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

He's not playing forward tonight.  The Devils dressed 3 centers.  If they dressed 11 wingers he might be playing forward.  He's not.

They couldn't scratch him on Saturday because they wanted to keep open the possibility of Elias playing on Tuesday.

It's one thing to be accountable, it's another to basically admit you have no idea what you're doing. If he was supposed to be sent down then send him down. Why would Elias (a forward) going on IR change that? If you want to convert him to forward do that in the AHL. This is just lazy roster nonmanagement.

The Devils have a long history of converting players to forward in the NHL:  Corrente, Housley, Niedermayer are 3 examples I can remember off the top of my head.  I can go down the list of times this has happened in the NHL in the last 15 years on other teams.  It's not as uncommon as you might think.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#552 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

They had to get under the 23 man limit in case Elias was ready to return. His being sent to the AHL was a paper move.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#553 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

They can continue dressing 7 d but when Larsson comes back it further complicates things. Here's the pairings I would like to see:

Pre Larsson-return:
Greene-volchenkov
Salvador-zidlicky
Merrill-fayne
Gelinas rotated in on offensive draws and pp.

By splitting up the Greene-fayne pairing it allows a more balanced lineup, and splits up the two most offensively inept defenders in Salvador and volch. a Greene-volchenkov pairing should be just as good against top lines as Greene-fayne. Late in games you could always put Greene-fayne back together.

When Larsson returns:
Greene-fayne
Salvador-zidlicky
Merrill-Larsson
Gelinas rotated in on offensive draws/pp.

The man that sits is volchenkov, unless a fayne trade happens. Most will want Merrill sent down here but the problem with that is it leaves you with gelinas as the only other lhd, and one of Zid or Larsson on the pk. I think Pete trusts Merrill on the pk before he trusts Larsson. If fayne isn't moved I can see Pete rotating him and volchenkov as the one that sits, or perhaps Lou is bold enough to send Merrill back to Albany, but I think Pete ATM would rather have him than gelinas. The other option is of course to have someone come down with an extended case of total body soreness.

Overall after i typed all of that it's clear Lou has to trade someone, but he will probably get the best value if he can stall to closer to the deadline. Until then I think we will continue to see some strange things going on on our blueline.

#554 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

It goes on and on and on...

Back to the stupid 7 D crap. Loktionov out.

I get Loktionov wasn't that good last game, but he gets taken out of the lineup after a couple good games, and only gets a few shifts last game. Just no leeway for these guys at all and barely any chance to get their feet wet. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#555 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

i feel loktionov hasnt been good for a while now..he does nothing for us out there.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#556 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

When we're 100% healthy, this is the lineup I wanna see.

Zubrus - Zajac - Jagr

Clowe - Henrique - Ryder

Boucher - Elias - Brunner

Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Greene - Fayne

Gelinas - Larsson

Volchenkov - Zidlicky

Schneider

Brodeur

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#557 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Zubrus - Zajac - Jagr
Clowe - Henrique - Ryder

Greene - Fayne
Gelinas - Larsson
Volchenkov - Zidlicky

Schneider
Brodeur

volchenkov won't play the left side.

#558 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

Zubrus - Zajac - Jagr

Clowe - Henrique - Ryder

Greene - Fayne

Gelinas - Larsson

Volchenkov - Zidlicky

Schneider

Brodeur

I don't think this team will ever be healthy.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#559 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Like it or not, if Salvador is healthy, he's playing.

#560 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

volchenkov won't play the left side.

um, yes he does. all the time. he's a LH defender. he plays left side more often than right (but he is the one guy they're comfortable playing either)

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users