1548 replies to this topic

#721 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

To be fair, a good portion of those players were brought up to muck it up on the 4th line, which isn't really Whitney's game.

I understand. I also understand that he didn't have an NHL contract. Just trying to get in the mindset of Albany's best player seeing forward after forward getting called up and wondering if he'll get that opportunity.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#722 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

I understand. I also understand that he didn't have an NHL contract. Just trying to get in the mindset of Albany's best player seeing forward after forward getting called up and wondering if he'll get that opportunity.

On that line of thinking, he seems like the kind of guy that pays his dues and earned everything he's got. I think he'll really seize this opportunity and be a bit of a spark plug on that line. It wouldn't even shock me to see him score tomorrow night or even better, get his first career goal in Yankee Stadium, which would be amazing for him. I just hope he can maintain whatever energy he brings, because the goaltending and defense is finally where it should be. We just need that damn offense to capitalize on it's chances like it did Tuesday.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#723 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'm not so sure he was Albany's best forward, though he was certainly Albany's best power play forward.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#724 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

They should put Tedenby-Gionta-Whitney out there for laughs.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#725 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Would Boucher being sent down have something to do with his eligibility to play in the AHL during the olympic break? I would imagine that was part of the reason. I still doubt any kind of outside help is on the way.

Not really - the only thing Boucher has to avoid doing is playing in 16 of the Devils' last 20 games.  So if he misses 4 NJ games, he can be sent down for the break.  Thing is, he's been playing all year, so I'm not sure him playing at the break is necessarily in NJ's interest (unlike people like Gelinas and Merrill who've missed some games).

Lamoriello said Boucher’s demotion has nothing to do with Friday’s deadline of sending players to the minors so that they’re eligible to play there during the Olympic break next month.

“No, because that has a statistic number to it,” Lamoriello said. “That will never get in a way to making decisions. These games are too important. I can assure you we’re going to have the best roster to win.”

http://www.nj.com/de...n_top_line.html

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#726 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

I could see NJ going after Ray Whitney for the top line with Jagr and Zajac.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#727 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

I could see NJ going after Ray Whitney for the top line with Jagr and Zajac.

Two off-wings on the same line?  Can't see it.  Sadly there isn't a ton available - NJ could go after Moulson but I'd prefer they save their resources.

#728 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Two off-wings on the same line?  Can't see it.  Sadly there isn't a ton available - NJ could go after Moulson but I'd prefer they save their resources.

It is a Lou type move, when everyone looks at the younger gagner type players he gets the older cheap guys like Hrdini or Sullivan...

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 24 January 2014 - 01:03 AM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#729 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Why not try Loktionov at that LW spot? I know Loktionov only wants to play center but surely he'd prefer 1st line LW to health scratch?

#730 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

There is this other guy who play top 6 LW in camp and did a pretty good job of it...

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#731 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Why not try Loktionov at that LW spot? I know Loktionov only wants to play center but surely he'd prefer 1st line LW to health scratch?

He says he's not comfortable at wing.  I don't think it's a question of preference just as 'I don't think I'm good at this, please don't use me this way'.

#732 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

He says he's not comfortable at wing.  I don't think it's a question of preference just as 'I don't think I'm good at this, please don't use me this way'.

that being the case the last thing we would want to do with him is put him in a spot on the ice where he is not comfortable... he already hasnt been too great this year to begin with
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#733 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Because Loktionov can't play wing.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#734 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Why can't Sal get hurt again. It would solve a few problems

www.SterioDesign.com

#735 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

There is this other guy who play top 6 LW in camp and did a pretty good job of it...

maybe by the end of the season it will happen... everyone else has had their chance at this point.

#736 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Why can't Sal get hurt again. It would solve a few problems

Now  now, don't wish injury on someone, especially one of our guys...

though I kinda agree

Edited by Devilsfan118, 24 January 2014 - 12:48 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#737 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Jacob Josefson hasn't played in over a month. Sucks that the Devils burned a year off of his waiver exemption by playing him in meaningless games as a 19 year old. Could be getting some actual game time in Albany right now if they kept him under 11 games in 2010-11.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#738 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Jacob Josefson hasn't played in over a month. Sucks that the Devils burned a year off of his waiver exemption by playing him in meaningless games as a 19 year old. Could be getting some actual game time in Albany right now if they kept him under 11 games in 2010-11.

Devils have 3 guys that shouldn't be healthy scratches hanging around. Shame there isn't anything that can be done about Josefson. Shame Merrill isn't playing here or in the AHL right now. And I think Loktionov should be in the lineup as well, but what can you do.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#739 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Those weren't meaningless games - he was NHL ready and NJ needed a center.  Just hurts that he wasn't able to keep up that level of play.

#740 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Those weren't meaningless games - he was NHL ready and NJ needed a center.  Just hurts that he wasn't able to keep up that level of play.

They're not meaningless if he is a mainstay in the line up right now. In a lost season, which that was, why burn through the waiver year? Bad roster management.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users