1548 replies to this topic

#741 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Sometimes I think we analyze roster decisions way more than Lou or the coaches ever do. Lou and Pete are in the business of winning games, proper prospect management is way down the list of their priorities. Many may not like it but it's clearly the way the devils work. If they feel that a guy like Matteau can help for a few games, they won't worry about his contract situation 3 or 4 years down the line. Same goes for josefson.

This can also apply to lineup decisions. For whatever reason, the team was winning early with Marty in net, thus he was getting starts. The stats may not agree but the results did. Now that has changed and Cory is getting the starts.

It's clear to me that they put the guys on the ice that they feel give them the best team. And yes this includes Salvador volchenkov gionta Bernier Merrill Marty and anyone else who has gotten complaints on here over the past few weeks.

#742 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Sometimes I think we analyze roster decisions way more than Lou or the coaches ever do. Lou and Pete are in the business of winning games, proper prospect management is way down the list of their priorities. Many may not like it but it's clearly the way the devils work. If they feel that a guy like Matteau can help for a few games, they won't worry about his contract situation 3 or 4 years down the line. Same goes for josefson.

This can also apply to lineup decisions. For whatever reason, the team was winning early with Marty in net, thus he was getting starts. The stats may not agree but the results did. Now that has changed and Cory is getting the starts.

It's clear to me that they put the guys on the ice that they feel give them the best team. And yes this includes Salvador volchenkov gionta Bernier Merrill Marty and anyone else who has gotten complaints on here over the past few weeks.

I get what you are saying and agree you should put the best possible guys on the ice, but only when you're in playoff contention imo. It just seems like a waste to burn a year of Josefson's waiver exemption when the team was essentially out of the playoffs by a long margin. Now they lose flexibility and in turn he's stuck "developing" in a suite at games. I get that they wanted him to get some time under Lemaire, but they could've done it without sacrificing a whole year of waiver exemption.

FWIW, I had no issue with burning a year of Matteau's ELC last year since to me that was a team that was in playoff contention.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#743 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

They're not meaningless if he is a mainstay in the line up right now. In a lost season, which that was, why burn through the waiver year? Bad roster management.

Because he was an NHL player then.  Did he look out of place in the NHL at that point?  He wasn't a drag on possession and played well.  Tough to say the same about his unfortunately short performances this year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#744 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

Because he was an NHL player then.  Did he look out of place in the NHL at that point?  He wasn't a drag on possession and played well.  Tough to say the same about his unfortunately short performances this year.

That's not my point though, I agree he was a NHL player. I mean, if you aren't confident that the next coach will make him mainstay in the line up, then why not pick up a fringe player to finish out the year for a team well out of playoff contention? Seems a bit irresponsible to end up in this situation. I really don't think I'm being unfair in my criticism of the way the Devils handled Josefson's development.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#745 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

That's not my point though, I agree he was a NHL player. I mean, if you aren't confident that the next coach will make him mainstay in the line up, then why not pick up a fringe player to finish out the year for a team well out of playoff contention? Seems a bit irresponsible to end up in this situation. I really don't think I'm being unfair in my criticism of the way the Devils handled Josefson's development.

But that's just it - DeBoer did make him a mainstay in the lineup.  Not only was he never a healthy scratch in 2011-12 (to my knowledge), he was brought back into the lineup for another healthy player when he returned from injury.  He was also never a healthy scratch in 2012-13 until he went down to Albany.  He just hasn't really done anything at the NHL level in 2 years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#746 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

whitney returned to the AHL - nice try kid.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#747 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

no way...they sent him back down already?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#748 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

So who replaces Whitney?

#749 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

they shouldve left boucher up here for now
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#750 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Oh well...wasn't like he was a guy who was figuring heavily into the Devils' plans.  He can always say that at least he played a game in the NHL.  A lot of guys can't.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 January 2014 - 12:15 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#751 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

There is this other guy who play top 6 LW in camp and did a pretty good job of it...

THERE IS A GOD.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#752 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

josefson with zajac and jagr - i know a few people are going to get their wish.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#753 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

figured it would probably be him.. not sure how i feel about putting him in that slot
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#754 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Ah very nice. Maybe he and jagr can connect.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#755 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Hope Josefson doesn't show any rust. One mistake and he'll be riding the bench again.

#756 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Not the ideal situation for Josefson since I believe he is a better center but he is excellent on the boards and very creative on the wing. 

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#757 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Kinda hope Whitney gets another look at some point.. Feel bad for the guy a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#758 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Kinda hope Whitney gets another look at some point.. Feel bad for the guy a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's it for him. I don't really understand what they hope when you give a guy a few shifts, be it Whitney, Josefson, Loktionov, etc. Very hard to adjust to the NHL speed when either you have never played or have been sitting for weeks or months.

For Whitney, playing with a guy like Jagr is very tough. He doesn't like to make the simple play often, and to find any chemistry in 3 minutes with him is impossible. I thought Jagr had the chance to make the obvious play to Whitney a few times but looked for something different.

Asking way too much from Whitney and probably asking too much from Josefson if you only give him 6-7 minutes tomorrow before Pete inevitably goes back to Zubrus on the top line.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#759 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

I just hope Josefson flukes out 2 assists tomorrow which should buy him 5 games on that line.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#760 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Finally Josefson plays! Maybe that awesome preseason line can reunite, josefson-elias-brunner. I thought Whitney sucked last night, but who knows after a few games under his belt.

Devils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users