• Please log in to reply
1548 replies to this topic

#821 Scorpitron

Scorpitron

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Booing any player on your favourite team is really uncalled for unless there is a clear lack of interest/effort.

I agree with the sentiment, but what can you do when you feel that the clear lack of interest/effort is located in the GM's office and behind the bench?

#822 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Most Devils fans love Gionta, as far as I can tell.  Not hard to love a guy who is 5'3" but plays hard every single shift.  

I know why Loktionov ended up on DeBoer's bad side but he's at least done way more than Josefson and deserves another shot here.  Elias is going to be able to cover for Gionta and indeed Gionta will get his shots - it's one thing he can do okay - he just can't score.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#823 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Most Devils fans love Gionta, as far as I can tell.  Not hard to love a guy who is 5'3" but plays hard every single shift.  

I know why Loktionov ended up on DeBoer's bad side but he's at least done way more than Josefson and deserves another shot here.  Elias is going to be able to cover for Gionta and indeed Gionta will get his shots - it's one thing he can do okay - he just can't score.  

There's never been a poll of Devils fans at large, but if you go by the messageboard zeitgest, everyone hates Gionta. 

And it's funny.  Last year, you started a thread about how awful Gionta was, and it seemed that most people came to his defense.  (My view was similar to what it is now, he's a pretty good fourth liner that the team's fortunes will not rise or fall on).  All of the sudden, things have turned into the fvck Gionta bandwagon.

This might sum it up perfectly:

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#824 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

I know the devils site store has appearl already embroidered with giontas name on it. And he does seem to be a popular fellow throughout.

#825 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

I don't think a lot of people hate gionta, but I think he becomes an easy target when things aren't going well.

#826 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

I like Stephen Gionta a lot when he plays 8 minutes. Not so much when he plays 13+ which is what he's done for the past 6 weeks.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#827 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

So one of Josefson/Loktionov is going to get scratched, the other on the 4th line, and Gionta is on the 2nd line. What the fvck!

EDIT: So apparently both Josefson and Loktionov are out for 7 D?! Ugh!!!!!!!

During the pre-season, many saw the depth the Devils had was too good for Gionta to get a spot, especially with his two-way contract. Then it was clear the CBGB line was going to stay together at the expense of Josefson. Then Gionta got a look on the third line with injuries (though his play was the same old). Now tonight, the debut of second liner Stephen Gionta!

How about this...I know it is crazy, but how about getting your best players in the lineup and actually giving some of them a chance to do something. Jacob Josefson was impressive enough the last few games. Loktionov did some really solid things in his last stint in the lineup. But that wasn't enough. It's never enough.

I don't care if it is 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 shift, 1 game, whatever. There is nothing that Gionta has ever showed in his life that says he should be or is capable of playing on a 2nd line with the likes of an Elias or Brunner. 

I'm not looking forward to Lou re-signing Gionta to a 2 year deal again this offseason.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 30 January 2014 - 03:48 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#828 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

2 years 4 million. Book it.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#829 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

So one of Josefson/Loktionov is going to get scratched, the other on the 4th line, and Gionta is on the 2nd line. What the fvck!

I'm not looking forward to Lou re-signing Gionta to a 2 year deal again this offseason.

It did look like one of Bernier or Carter was going to be scratched from how TG had it written.

Not only Gionta, but Carter and Bernier get an absolute free pass for their play. They are not obligated to score at all even when a guy like Bernier got moved up to the second line. Josefson and Loktionov get 5-6 minutes to score or they are out of the lineup.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#830 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

So, I've found this to be an effective lineup predictor - take a logical, reasonable lineup and essentially think of ways to ruin it.  If you think outside the box justttt enough, you may just come up with the same lineup PDB selects. 

2 years 4 million. Book it.

This would make me cry.  You're totally right though, Gio has definitely been around long enough to earn a loyalty contract from Lou.  God Damnit.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#831 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

It sucks to be a fan and have to sit through these lineup decisions as the points fade away, I can't imagine what the players must be thinking

#832 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

It sucks to be a fan and have to sit through these lineup decisions as the points fade away, I can't imagine what the players must be thinking

I'd LOVE to know what Jagr's thinking right now.  After he publicly went to bat for Josefson, Pete gives him nine lousy minutes and then scratches him the next two games.

Most Devils fans who go to games love him...he got cheered heartily on his return to the lineup.  Most Devil fans on message boards have misplaced anger towards him.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#833 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

I'd LOVE to know what Jagr's thinking right now.  After he publicly went to bat for Josefson, Pete gives him nine lousy minutes and then scratches him the next two games.

Most Devils fans who go to games love him...he got cheered heartily on his return to the lineup.  Most Devil fans on message boards have misplaced anger towards him.

The only misplacement of anger is that we bag on Gio when this is clearly a PDB issue. It isn't Gio's fault that he's told to go out there, he does the best that he can. The problem is PDB is a dumb fvck.

#834 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

"It doesn't matter what I think".  That sound like a happy man to you?  Because it doesn't to me.

http://www.nj.com/de...t_flyout_sports

Edited by Devilsfan118, 30 January 2014 - 04:27 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#835 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

I don't think Pete listens or reads Jagr's quotes to the media. If Jagr is going into his office and saying that he needs continuity, that's one thing. But Pete shouldn't have to be finding out what Jagr wants through TG's blog. 

Personally I don't think finding the right guy on this team to play with Jagr is very easy. He's not the easiest guy to play with, and he plays outside the box of this system. You want continuity, but they stopped scoring completely with Zubrus, so it is up to Pete to find someone new. It was Josefson than Elias shortly. Not sure what Jacob did wrong, but it was a lot apparently. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#836 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

That was in regards to playing with Elias. Not the line changes.

"It doesn't matter what I think". That sound like a happy man to you? Because it doesn't to me.

#837 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

"It doesn't matter what I think". That sound like a happy man to you? Because it doesn't to me.

who the hell is randy miller?

#838 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

who the hell is randy miller?

Covers the team for NJ.com. He just started recently. Used to cover the Phailures.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#839 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Covers the team for NJ.com. He just started recently. Used to cover the Phailures.

hmmm ok well I'll stick with TG, IMO he doesn't inject opinion into his stories nearly as much as chere or this guy. It's nice to get a different perspective but I think a lot of it is guys trying to make news where there isn't any.

Edited by dmann422, 30 January 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#840 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

PeteDoge_zps79ba5da4.jpg

25smul5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users