1548 replies to this topic

#881 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

I would not be opposed to trying Gelinas at wing. Could it hurt?

Yes, incredibly. No reason to yo yo him. Let him develop his at one position

#882 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I would not be opposed to trying Gelinas at wing.  Could it hurt?

Just let him work on his game in the AHL. He'll be back soon enough. As Pete said (paraphrase), "he needs to be and can be more than just a good shot."

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#883 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I would not be opposed to trying Gelinas at wing.  Could it hurt?

I'm actually not opposed to the idea, even long term. Within 2-3 years the Devils foundation of the D could include Greene, Larsson, Merrill, Severson, and Santini. Then they have a lot of guys that could be solid on the 3rd pair like Helgeson, Scarlett, and Gedig. Factor in them probably having 1 or 2 veteran guys and things get a bit crowded and they don't really have much coming up in terms of forward prospects. Play him on the wing at EV and the point on the PP.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#884 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

It would be nice if Lou did something today, like move Salvador... Please hockey gods? Please?

That's fine, but don't expect the team to be much better with whatever return we get, or whoever replaces him from within.

He's not really the problem with the team. When you're among the best in the league in goals against and shots against, all six of your defenseman must be doing something right.

I guess you could say it would make room for Larsson or Gelinas, which will help the offense. But probably not enough to change the fact that the team will often be required to give up only 1 goal a game to get 2 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#885 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

That's fine, but don't expect the team to be much better with whatever return we get, or whoever replaces him from within.

He's not really the problem with the team. When you're among the best in the league in goals against and shots against, all six of your defenseman must be doing something right.

I guess you could say it would make room for Larsson or Gelinas, which will help the offense. But probably not enough to change the fact that the team will often be required to give up only 1 goal a game to get 2 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Lou We Trust had a great piece today about how awesome Salvador has been defensively. He's definitely pulling his weight and making his team better when he's on the ice.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#886 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

All I know is that we need Gelinas back up here.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#887 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

In Lou We Trust had a great piece today about how awesome Salvador has been defensively. He's definitely pulling his weight and making his team better when he's on the ice.

Good thing I wasn't too lazy to click on the link this time, although I sensed something was awry.

In any event, I wasn't trying to say that Salvador is the bees knees.  It's just that getting rid of him won't change the team's fortunes all that much, and certainly not for the remainder of this year, unless the return is an absolute fleecing. 

And as I read the ILWT article, it just says that he's the worse defenseman on the team.  Even if it's true (for example, let's assume that the shot attempts against on the ice while he's on the ice is purely a product of his stinkiness), the Devils are the best, or among the best, in the league in shots against.  So unless there's something that says that replacing Salvador with Larsson, Gelinas or Harrold would reduce the shots against significantly, then his poor play relative to everyone else on the team is neither here nor there.  I kind of doubt that anyone could reliably make that prediction, since it's very hard to get much better at shot prevention than the Devils are now, especially when you factor in who a realistic replacement would be.

I suppose you could squeeze out a little more offense with Larsson or Gelinas.  And even if you assume that Larsson isn't a sure bet to have two bad defensive zone turnovers every game, the Devils defense is not all of the sudden going to turn into something that is historically good, which is kind of what a team that can't score at all will need to have any kind of success.

I get it, where the Devils are at right now, they need to squeeze everything out of their roster as they possibly can.  But if that's the state of the team, the problems go way way beyond Salvador.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#888 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

Loktionov is getting a chance on the top line.  I have no problem with this.

Zubrus - Loktionov - Jagr

Elias - Zajac - Brunner

Clowe - Henrique - Ryder

Carter - Gionta - Bernier

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#889 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Loktionov is getting a chance on the top line. I have no problem with this.

Elias - Zajac - Brunner
Clowe - Henrique - Ryder

I actually like those lines a lot.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#890 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Jagr isn't happy with the changes but I can't blame Pete. He needs to try something to get some guys going. Lokti has some speed, Elias and Brunner need some room and possesion. Zajac should help that. It is what it is.

#891 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Jagr isn't happy with the changes but I can't blame Pete. He needs to try something to get some guys going. Lokti has some speed, Elias and Brunner need some room and possesion. Zajac should help that. It is what it is.

Agreed.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#892 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Loktionov is getting a chance on the top line.  I have no problem with this.

Elias - Zajac - Brunner

Clowe - Henrique - Ryder

jagr has a problem with it ;)

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#893 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

We already knew he didn't listen to Jagr when he put Josefson back in witness protection right after Jagr pumped him up publicly.  Can't have the kids getting any confidence.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#894 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

We already knew he didn't listen to Jagr when he put Josefson back in witness protection right after Jagr pumped him up publicly. Can't have the kids getting any confidence.

He moved Loktionov to the top line. Response: 'Deboer hates the young players'. It's like there's just blindness about anything the coach does at this point.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#895 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

He moved Loktionov to the top line. Response: 'Deboer hates the young players'. It's like there's just blindness about anything the coach does at this point.

After he's scratched him for the last eight games - following by the way scoring the game-tying goal in Colorado.  Come on Tri, you know Loik's getting like ten minutes with Jagr at most and then he'll go back to purgatory.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 05 February 2014 - 12:00 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#896 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

I like this move, it takes Jagr out of a defensive role and more to an offensive role. When you play with Zajac and Zubrus you expect to be matched against opponents top players. 

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#897 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

After he's scratched him for the last eight games - following by the way scoring the game-tying goal in Colorado.  Come on Tri, you know Loik's getting like ten minutes with Jagr at most and then he'll go back to purgatory.

I don't know that at all. Loktionov was used plenty last year.  He needs to be better defensively but if he is playing well in that regard and contributing offensively he will be in the lineup.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#898 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Loktionov will get one game in the lineup and regardless of how he plays we all know he will be scratched the next game and PDB will go back to the same old lines. I can feel it.

#899 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Loktionov will get one game in the lineup and regardless of how he plays we all know he will be scratched the next game and PDB will go back to the same old lines. I can feel it.

well you're wrong already seeing as this is his 3rd straight start.

#900 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Where he'll play for all of 10 minutes, maybe.  PDB will then throw him onto the 4th line or bench him, and go back to his familiar lines.  Just like he did with JJ.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users