1548 replies to this topic

#961 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

As much as I'd prefer Cory play every game, Marty needs a game here and there. If he plays the Isles game, I won't be surprised.

Hopefully they would have traded Vanek by then.  And with no Tavares, their lineup would be depleted.

Speaking of Vanek, I have a trade proposal that I'd do.  You guys will probably disagree though.

2015 conditional 1st if Vanek re-signs

Eric Gelinas

2014 2nd

Keith Kinkaid

for

Thomas Vanek

Edited by Mike Brown, 25 February 2014 - 03:16 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#962 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Haven't we lost enough to minnesota.

#963 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Haven't we lost enough to minnesota.

Huh?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#964 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Vanek wants to play in Minni, the trade you proposed has us basically lossing Gelinas Kinkaid and a 2nd for a guy that wants to take off to Minnesota next year.

Unless you have a very short memory we just lost ZP to the wild, hence my comment.

I would much rather trade for Moulson

Kinkaid + Fayne and a 2nd for moulson.

Edited by Sneax, 25 February 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#965 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Vanek wants to play in Minni, the trade you proposed has us basically lossing Gelinas Kinkaid and a 2nd for a guy that wants to take off to Minnesota next year.

Unless you have a very short memory we just lost ZP to the wild, hence my comment.

I would much rather trade for Moulson

Kinkaid + Fayne and a 2nd for moulson.

I doubt that would be enough since Fayne is a UFA.  Our 2015 first would need to be added. at least.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#966 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

In fairness, there's no guaranteeing Moulson sticks around next year either.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#967 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

I doubt that would be enough since Fayne is a UFA.  Our 2015 first would need to be added. at least.

You have a slight point I suppose, I meant to throw yayo in there as well. Moulson is also an UFA so there is that.

In fairness, there's no guaranteeing Moulson sticks around next year either.

Yea but its not going around that he wants to play in his hometown. Unlike vanek. And we would have to give up less for moulson than vanek.

Edited by Sneax, 25 February 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#968 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Just bumping this thread as a reminder since a lot of lineup talk is happening in the oot one. Volchenkov and Harrold sitting tonight per TG.
Merrill and gelinas in to try and help create offense.

#969 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Just bumping this thread as a reminder since a lot of lineup talk is happening in the oot one. Volchenkov and Harrold sitting tonight per TG.
Merrill and gelinas in to try and help create offense.

glad that sal gets to stay - he created offense in the playoffs 2 years ago for 6 games.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#970 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,725 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Salvador's the captain of course he's going to stay.  Volchenkov out is a good sign going forward.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#971 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

glad that sal gets to stay - he created offense in the playoffs 2 years ago for 6 games.

meh, I think sal and Volch are pretty much on the same level, sal gets more hate because he a) is the captain and b) gets more toi.

I'd prefer both sit for Larsson and Merrill. Also I didn't look at TG's lines but I'm assuming Merrill is the one playing the right side with gelinas on the left.

Edited by dmann422, 27 February 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#972 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,262 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

I'm going to be frustrated if Volchenkov sitting out becomes a regular occurence while Salvador still gets to play. That damn C unfortunately.

I am pleased to see Merrill and Gelinas in with DeBoer's boy Harrold sitting though. I also like the move to have Henrique on the wing with Elias and Brunner as well as Loktionov inbetween Clowe and Ryder if TG's expected lines are correct.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#973 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I'm going to be frustrated if Volchenkov sitting out becomes a regular occurence while Salvador still gets to play. That damn C unfortunately.

Maybe we'll be lucky, and it's Lou's way of showcasing Salvador and pretending that he's still a top defenseman in a great defensive unit.  And we may get luckier still that Salvador actually plays well for the next couple of games. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#974 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,424 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

The only team that has benefited from Vanek has been Buffalo in trading him away.  They are getting a fantastic return for him from the Islanders and will get even more when they deal Moulsen.   

Tim Murray is going to make the Sabres a contender in the next few years.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#975 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

The only team that has benefited from Vanek has been Buffalo in trading him away. They are getting a fantastic return for him from the Islanders and will get even more when they deal Moulsen.

Tim Murray is going to make the Sabres a contender in the next few years.

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't regier still gm when vanek was traded? Also I think buffalo is at least 3 years away especially if they trade miller.

#976 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Salvador's the captain of course he's going to stay.  Volchenkov out is a good sign going forward.

if you want to say it's a good sign because the devils are giving the kids a shot or because they only need one of sal/anton in the lineup, i'll begrudgingly agree to your statement. but sal fvcking sucks and is clearly the least effective defenseman on this team.

you will not be the only one. his play has not warranted being a healthy scratch while salvador's clearly has but alas - screaming at the rain.

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#977 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

if you want to say it's a good sign because the devils are giving the kids a shot or because they only need one of sal/anton in the lineup, i'll begrudgingly agree to your statement. but sal fvcking sucks and is clearly the least effective defenseman on this team.

you will not be the only one. his play has not warranted being a healthy scratch while salvador's clearly has but alas - screaming at the rain.

What sucks is the complete BS praise Deboer gives (forced to give, probably) Sal, but I haven't heard any compliments coming Volch's way. He has been very solid and much more valuable than Salvador.

Edit: I mean I completely understand what Deboer has to do, but there is another veteran defenseman that brings everything you praise Sal for and more, and he is sitting.

Edited by devilsrule33, 27 February 2014 - 04:23 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#978 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,725 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

I don't think Volchenkov has been 'very solid' - he's been a passable 3rd pairing D who helps out on the PK.  I mean yeah Salvador is a tire fire and I hope the layoff has helped him some but I doubt it.

Going forward, the team cannot have both of these guys next year.  They just have too many better defensemen.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#979 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,262 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I don't think Volchenkov has been 'very solid' - he's been a passable 3rd pairing D who helps out on the PK.  I mean yeah Salvador is a tire fire and I hope the layoff has helped him some but I doubt it.

Going forward, the team cannot have both of these guys next year.  They just have too many better defensemen.

Is it fair to say that if DeBoer is back next year then Volchenkov gets the compliance buyout? Yeah, Lou has final say but I get the impression that Salvador is one of DeBoer's favorites and having him with 1 year left as opposed to 2 for Volchenkov could factor into it. Volchenkov has the higher cap hit too (not that the cap is an issue for the Devils). 

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#980 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

totally fair. and again, my bias is making this unfair.

i suppose saying that, on its face, where two defensemen are similar, and one has one year left at $3.1MM while the other has two at $4.2 and isn't the captain, you take the one with one year left.

but sal is such fvcking hot garbage while volchenkov is totally fine for what he does aggravates me to no end.

20082719943.png
-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users